Passenger door mirror

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RossL Silver Member Ross LoMonaco
NJ, USA   USA
I purchased a matching.mirror for the passenger door. I am disappointed with the view.....or lack of view.... I placed it in the same position on the door as the factory drivers side....

Anyone have a fix?

On my TR6, I installed a round concave stick on....that I thought was useless until I compared it to the TR8...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
robtr8 Rob Stephenson
Lake St Louis, MO, USA   USA
Vitaloni's:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=10715

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=10718

1980 TR8 - MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, GM-D9605, GS62, TS-SW2502S4 (2X)
2006 XC90 V8 - AVH3300NEX, PDX-F4 (2X), PDX-M12, L1V2, AR6K, GB12D4 (2X)
2008 328xi - AVH7800BT, GM-D8604, GM-D9605, MT230, GB40, XE 200, Primo 12"
2011 XC60 T6 RD - She won't let me.

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
You can replace the flat glass with a convex glass, which helps:

https://mossmotors.com/glass-door-mirror-convex-tex-brand

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Ross,

The Baby Tornado was the standard after market upgrade for sportscars back in the '70s. They are period correct and do improve rear visibility, although they have gotten rather expensive. I have them on my TR7 and Jensen-Healey.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1533182 by RossL I purchased a matching.mirror for the passenger door. I am disappointed with the view.....or lack of view.... I placed it in the same position on the door as the factory drivers side....

Anyone have a fix?

On my TR6, I installed a round concave stick on....that I thought was useless until I compared it to the TR8...

Ross:

The TR8 originally came with just a drivers side view mirror, so the passenger side was never considered important, as you have discovered.

If you purchased a new matching mirror to the drivers side, then the stem is slightly different and positions the mirror about an inch further forward that then drivers mirror, even if you locate the mounting holes in the same relative position. Just enough that the wing window blocks the view. angry smiley

It turns out there is a simple fix that gets you about 80% of the way there. You change the mirror and stem for the earlier style, and it will move the mirror back just far enough that it is truly useful. In addition, the mirror stem will then match the style on the drivers side (assuming that you still have the original driver side mount).

You can get the older style mirror and stem from Robsport for a few dollars. It will need a splash of paint as it will be used, or you may want to GENTLY disassemble your new passenger mirror to replace the newer neck with the older style. The listing on the Robsport website for the replacement neck is here.

When you order, be certain to specify that you want the OLDER style stem for the right side of the car, not the new style stem. The Robsport item is a pull from cars they have broken, and so should be the older style, but better safe than sorry.

I have done this on my car, and it makes the mirror usable, even if there is still a small portion of the view that is occluded.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

NJ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533258 by darrellwalker You can replace the flat glass with a convex glass, which helps:

https://mossmotors.com/glass-door-mirror-convex-tex-brand
I will try this first,maybe order an old one from Robsport

Mr. Nuts Peter N
Tucumcari, NM, USA   USA
All tr8 came with a passenger side mirror. The original mirrors mounted in the center of the bracket/mount. Reproduction mirrors came with the mirror mounted further forward for some reason, (more than likely to fit some other car). If you do not have the centered mounted mirrors and have the forward mounted mirrors, well, you are screwed. If it's important to you and you want the correct mirror, simply order a used mirror from Robsport etc. in the UK get it powder coated and mount it on your car. You can use the parts from the forward mounted mirror to rebuild the center mounted one, because the plastic on forty year old mirrors is sometimes bad. It will be exactly like the factory mirrors shipped with the car when new.

sbs Avatar
sbs Steve S
In reply to # 1533420 by Mr. Nuts All tr8 came with a passenger side mirror.

Nope.

sliproc Avatar
When I picked up my '79 TR7 from the dealership it had a driver side mirror only, I can't speak about how the TR8s were delivered. I can say that from the jump I never liked that little mirror, to me it looked like an afterthought, I added a R/H mirror, I painted them and repainted, I fooled with them but was never happy with them. I replaced them with Baby Tornados and never looked back, well I can't really say I never looked back, they are rearview mirrors afterall. To me the BTs look more stock than what originally came on the car.

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1533536 by sliproc When I picked up my '79 TR7 from the dealership it had a driver side mirror only, I can't speak about how the TR8s were delivered. I can say that from the jump I never liked that little mirror, to me it looked like an afterthought, I added a R/H mirror, I painted them and repainted, I fooled with them but was never happy with them. I replaced them with Baby Tornados and never looked back, well I can't really say I never looked back, they are rearview mirrors afterall. To me the BTs look more stock than what originally came on the car.

Hi Kevin,

Do you have any pictures of the Baby Tornados installed on the car?

Thanks,
Darrell

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

sliproc Avatar
Darrell,

Just click on Triumph TR7 and Jensen-Healey on my profile.

NJ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533539 by darrellwalker
In reply to # 1533536 by sliproc When I picked up my '79 TR7 from the dealership it had a driver side mirror only, I can't speak about how the TR8s were delivered. I can say that from the jump I never liked that little mirror, to me it looked like an afterthought, I added a R/H mirror, I painted them and repainted, I fooled with them but was never happy with them. I replaced them with Baby Tornados and never looked back, well I can't really say I never looked back, they are rearview mirrors afterall. To me the BTs look more stock than what originally came on the car.

Hi Kevin,

Do you have any pictures of the Baby Tornados installed on the car?

Thanks,
Darrell

I would like to see them too.

I had a pair of Baby Turbo's on my 1974 Spitfire back in the 80's when they first came out. They were really great. I forgot what the Spitfire had as a stock mirror, but it was not a Bullet..... The Turbo's really were a great improvement. They had a lot of flexibility so I able to adjust them without any issues.

Baby Turbo Mirrors

lgray001 Avatar
lgray001 Gold Member Larry Gray
Lexington, VA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR7 "POS-2"
1979 Triumph TR7 "The Money Pit"

Member Services:
A Small Business serving the aviation community with avionics knowledge.

Attachments:
Mirrors Front.jpg    21.9 KB
Mirrors Front.jpg

Mirrors Back.jpg    31.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
Here is a picture of the right side of the baby Tornados on my "8". It is turned in as it droops down from vibration when driving. Yesterday I took it off and I was able to move it back about 3/8", but there was no way to tighten the ball to keep the mirror from moving once the adjustment was set.

In reply to # 1533558 by sliproc Darrell,

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
North Coast Triumph Association
TWOA

Attachments:
Right Side Soft Top.JPG    51.7 KB
Right Side Soft Top.JPG

NJ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533725 by Pat.L Here is a picture of the right side of the baby Tornados on my "8". It is turned in as it droops down from vibration when driving. Yesterday I took it off and I was able to move it back about 3/8", but there was no way to tighten the ball to keep the mirror from moving once the adjustment was set.

In reply to # 1533558 by sliproc Darrell,

Are you saying the mirror moves when driving and it cannot be tightened? I think that would be a deal breaker for me :-)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster