Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ghawbrey Avatar
ghawbrey Greg L
Lafayette, LA, USA   USA
I had 13x7s on my last TR7 and I am ready to do that again but in a year of looking I have seen nothing available. Everyone has gone to 15's. Can someone tell me what the weight of their tire and wheel is with the 15x7. I don't want to give up performance by getting bigger heavier wheels.

1980 TR7 DHC

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ChuckyBaby12 Avatar
ChuckyBaby12 Charlie D.
Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada   CAN
Check with Quiller Triumph in England. Here is a link to there Minilite replica wheels. They have 7j 13inch wheels. 389 pounds for 4 with caps, lugs and all!

http://www.quillertriumph.co.uk/Quiller/Parts/parts.htm

I just got some Rota 15" wheels out of California. 15 x 7 and correct 3 3/4 four bolt spacing. They look like minilites. They sell on eBay.

Sincerely,
Charlie Dooley
1981 TR8.

uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
North Providence, RI, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
;

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-17 02:07 AM by uspsmech.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
I have at least 2 sets of 13X7 wheels. You can still get them thru Panasport, but they will cost you way more than $1000. Pretty sure you can get a set of Rota RBs in 13X7 as well. I have a set of 13X8 Rota RBs in a 4X100 bolt pattern that I use as autocross wheels on the BMW 2002, and the TR8 race car, however, its been years since I autocrossed either car. Back around 2000, the SCCA allowed pretty much every car that originally came with 13" wheels to move up to 15" wheels. That was the final nail in the coffin of the 13" wheel. Modern technology means you can find 15" wheels that are lighter than the 13" wheels that were available when they were popular. Add 15" tires, and that may or may not end up being a wash in the weight department. If you maintain stock bolt pattern, your cheapest easiest option is to go to 18racing.com(same guys on Ebay) and look at the Rota RBs. For a street car, definitely go 15X7s. The only reason I can see to stay with a 13X7 would be for autocross. The smaller wider tire you can fit on that rim means lighter weight, and a tire that will heat up faster. It will also offer a lower moment of inertia trying to get the car rolling. The 15" wheel and tire combo should have a slightly bigger contact patch than the 13X7. If you change the bolt pattern to 4X100, then there are a ton of wheel options. There are even several wheels in that size that come in under 10 pounds a wheel. Most spec racing series, like spec E30 and spec Miata, limit the lightness of the wheels to 13 pounds. That means there are a bunch of really stout wheels in 15X7 that weigh 13.1 pounds. 949UL, and Team Dynamic wheels are very popular and cheap in spec racing. Nice wheels at around $125 a piece. As always, a 7" wide wheel may or may not cause an interference issue with the fender lips. All depends on how well the panels lined up when the guys at the factory hit the button on the spot welder.

erictr6 Avatar
erictr6 eric l
Denver, NC, USA   USA
I have a set of original 13" alloy wheels. Maybe a few years of part time driving miles on them. Here is a photo. If interested, please PM me.
Thanks and good luck!

PS, sorry for my ignorance, but what is meant by 13x7?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-17 03:25 PM by erictr6.

Attachments:
13 wheels.JPG    48.5 KB
13 wheels.JPG

navydiver Rob Cornick
san diego, CA, USA   USA
1975 Triumph TR7 "The Pumpkin"
1977 Triumph TR7
1978 Triumph TR8
1980 Triumph TR7 "The Plum"    & more
Eric, it is the rim width, ie 7 inches wide x 13 inch diameter, the standard alloys are 5.5. No need to apologise, if we don't ask, we drift though life blissfully uneducated.

1975 TR7 FHC Ca Spec ACL 4spd
1976 TR7 FHC Ca Spec 4 spd (Temp add)
1977 TR7 FHC ACW 5Spd
1978 TR8 DHC ACT FI development car 5 Spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI Spider 5spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI Spider 5Spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI 5spd
1980 TR7 DHC FI 5 spd
1981 TR7 DHC FI 5 spd

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1526852 by ChuckyBaby12 Check with Quiller Triumph in England. Here is a link to there Minilite replica wheels. They have 7j 13inch wheels. 389 pounds for 4 with caps, lugs and all!

Sincerely,
Charlie Dooley
1981 TR8.

Charley -

I read that and thought "Damn, those wheels must be really heavy! Why would anyone buy those?" confused smiley

Then it dawned on me what kind of pounds you were talking about. LOL. I am so slow sometimes....

Wishing there was a way to put a pound sterling symbol in this board...

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster