Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
My Sprint engine is running the coil that was in there when I bought the car when it was an 8 valve. It looks like it may be the original. It was a California model. I am thinking that I may not be getting everything I could out of my 16 valve conversion with this tired old coil even though it is still functioning normally. Any suggestions on what I should try? Also are there some worthwhile gains to upgrading?

nick

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-15 07:48 PM by nick.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1526568 by nick My Sprint engine is running the coil that was in there when I bought the car when it was an 8 valve. It looks like it may be the original. It was a California model. I am thinking that I may not be getting everything I could out of my 16 valve conversion with this tired old coil even though it is still functioning normally. Any suggestions on what I should try? Also are there some worthwhile gains to upgrading?

If you have a miss, or the engine is breaking up at high RPMs, then yes changing the coil will get you more. If your plugs tend to foul then a hotter coil will help.

But unless you have an ignition related symptom, a hotter coil will not do much except give you piece of mind. And hotter coils have a tendency to burn points, if you are running the 44D points based distributor.

Installing a pertronix with a hotter coil will allow you to run a wide plug gap, which in turn would let you run leaner mixtures.

For day to day driving, no, not much reason to upgrade. If you do convert to electronic, you will never need to set the timing again. cool smiley

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
I guess I should have mentioned that I did convert to electronic ignition. The old coil does perform even up to the 5500 range. After I finished the Sprint conversion a couple of years ago I was surprised to find that with a timing adjustment and a bit of carb tweeking the engine ran great. So since it ain't broke I wont fix it.

nick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
C'mon Nick, who are you trying to fool, you're a British car guy like me and you know our inclination is to keep fixing things until they're broken.

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1526667 by nick I guess I should have mentioned that I did convert to electronic ignition. The old coil does perform even up to the 5500 range. After I finished the Sprint conversion a couple of years ago I was surprised to find that with a timing adjustment and a bit of carb tweeking the engine ran great. So since it ain't broke I wont fix it.

Nick:

5,500? I thought those things went to 6,500?

So now I want to know the details of your setup. I see you have the SU carbs, a header, and smallish pancake K&N filters. Looks like you are still running the mechanical fan too.

Any porting on the head? Specs on the camshaft? Three angle valve job? What exhaust system is on the car? Any mods to the carbs? Stub stacks? Do they have bypass valves on the butterflies?

Since I am pulling together parts for a Sprint conversion, I want to do everything I can (ok, within reason) to get it to pull cleanly up to redline. So please share so I can get my plan detailed out.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster