Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sheetsofsound Avatar
sheetsofsound Brent Taylor
New Westminster, BC, Canada   CAN
This is not a question about the snap installation, but rather the screws, nuts, washers, spacers and shouldered bushings that allow the frame to articulate.

I am looking to replace the tops on two cars this spring once the weather warms up. On one of my cars in particular, it looks like the last person to work on the top was related to a gorilla. The screw heads are trashed, the nuts are either missing or practically round, and they are all rusty and probably won't come off without power tools. Also, some of the bushings and washers are missing. Looking at the prices of replacing the hardware from some of the usual LBC suppliers, I'm balking at paying $3 for a bolt and $2 for a nut.

Are these parts as specialized as the prices would indicate? I'm wondering if anyone has replaced the nuts and bolts with plain vanilla stuff from the hardware store.

Brent

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
Assuming you are talking about the very small machine screws and lock-nuts along the back rail, no they are nothing special except small, and probably metric, and very soft. I'd replace with hardware store SAE or Metric in stainless or just shiny nickel plate. I did my top last summer and those are the only fasteners other than the usual pop rivets I can think of, Unless you are talking about the folding frame hardware. - Pete

sheetsofsound Avatar
sheetsofsound Brent Taylor
New Westminster, BC, Canada   CAN
Yes, the folding frame hardware. The other bits I have replaced without trouble, but the folding frame hardware looks proprietary to a degree.

Brent

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1526533 by sheetsofsound Yes, the folding frame hardware. The other bits I have replaced without trouble, but the folding frame hardware looks proprietary to a degree.

Not on the TR8, but on my TR6 I replaced the missing rivets and pins with button head grade 12 screws, and used pinch nuts to hold them in place in the frame. Never had an issue - and the black oxide finish make them look very OEM. They never came loose or backed out.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
It looks like some of them are a bit special and some are not. If I were you I'd take some of the more unusual ones with me and take a cruise through my local hardware store. (Canadian Tire for you guys?). The wall long section has the usual cardboard slide out selection of pretty much all the usual fasteners and the better stores have a bonus section of all kinds of pins, bushings, spacers, clips, and some stuff you don't know what it is. I bet you could work up a good selection pieces that would work perfectly. -_ Pete

And then there's these folks. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID006143

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links