AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lgray001 Avatar
lgray001 Gold Member Larry Gray
Lexington, VA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR7 "POS-2"
1979 Triumph TR7 "The Money Pit"
After a delay of almost a year, I'm back on the "Money Pit" ('79 TR7 resto-mod with '76 engine and transmission).

I had rebuilt the transmission as part of the engine rebuild and I decided that I would now put in the transmission oil before installing the engine/transmission pair.

Boy was I lucky I decided to do that. The transmission leaked like a sieve. I mean, it was running out as fast as I was putting it in.

After I pulled the transmission, I looked for were the leak was located and found that it was at the 5th gear forward plate gasket. I also found that the bolts all around the transmission were very easy to loosen, not much more than finger tight.

I also found that the new rubber bushings I had installed on the shifter extension were beginning to crack after 1 year of non-use.

Well I need to order the new gaskets, poly bushings (this time), and a synchro pad to replace the one I dropped and can't find.

Oh what fun fixing your own car can be.

Larry

Member Services:
A Small Business serving the aviation community with avionics knowledge.
uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
North Providence, RI, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Larry, You made every one of us that do the same kind of stuff feel very good today. I admire you for even attempting the tranny! Two steps forward ,one step back, we will get there eventually, Jim

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
Larry, confession is very good for the soul.thumbs up

nick

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Larry,

I'm a little confused here. So you rebuilt the tranny yourself? And the tranny leaked because the case bolts weren't properly tightened down? So did tightening the case bolts fix the leak? Also with the case bolts now properly tightened, do you feel confident that everything inside the case is correctly secured? One thing I learned years ago when performing an operation like this is after you've double checked everything, check it again.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lgray001 Avatar
Lexington, VA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR7 "POS-2"
Yes, I rebuilt it myself. With the gaskets leaking, I am choosing to replace them rather than just tighten the bolts.

I must have been tired to not have tightened them,if that was the case.

I intend to goop the hell out of them, then use a torque wrench to assure they are tight and evenly so.

Thanks for the input.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 11:00 AM by lgray001.

Member Services:
sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Larry,

If the leak was just due to loose bolts I would think that just tightening them would solve the problem. You could always tighten the bolts, refill and see if it leaks. If you feel better about replacing the gaskets though, of course that's your call.

lgray001 Avatar
Lexington, VA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR7 "POS-2"
The gasket was oil soaked. Replacements are only a dollar and a half so I'll just replace them.

Member Services:
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
When replacing, particularly if you are "gooping" them up, remember that they do affect you end float on the gears (the one between the place and the trans body, the rear cover does not). So you should recheck that.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1526690 by lgray001 The gasket was oil soaked. Replacements are only a dollar and a half so I'll just replace them.

I gave up on British gasket technology a long time ago. Not enough crush provided in those paper thin gaskets, so I use non-hardening Permatex - a very thin layer. Life has gotten much better since I started that practice.

Yeah, some new owner down the road will be saying "WTF?" as he tears into my handiwork. Oh well. eye rolling smiley

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster