AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Seat reuphostery project
  This topic is about my 1978 Triumph TR8
uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
North Providence, RI, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Finally got around to pulling the seats out to get the red tartan fabric replaced. I was dreading this job because of all the horror stories I've heard about the rusted bottom bolts. I was very lucky , they put up less of a fight than the Patriots defense! lol. If anyone talks to Marion Carroway in South Carolina please thank him for selling me the fabric and let him know it will be used to keep the interior very much original, thanks. Does anyone know why my passenger side seat has wires from the seat belt but no place to plug them in? drivers side has two sets that do plug in. Also anyplace I can purchase red molded carpeting, like the original, thank you, Jim

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
E26172B6-ADDD-44A8-A638-63356FFB907F.jpeg    37.9 KB
E26172B6-ADDD-44A8-A638-63356FFB907F.jpeg

7F8F16E0-38DF-4A95-B148-670AFFE78224.jpeg    51 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
9D6EDDAD-9174-4A72-BF88-FB49BF917C1D.jpeg    50.7 KB
DF8EB8F4-0968-4415-9398-B440143C5715.jpeg    34.7 KB
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1511609 by uspsmech Finally got around to pulling the seats out to get the red tartan fabric replaced. I was dreading this job because of all the horror stories I've heard about the rusted bottom bolts. I was very lucky , they put up less of a fight than the Patriots defense! lol. If anyone talks to Marion Carroway in South Carolina please thank him for selling me the fabric and let him know it will be used to keep the interior very much original, thanks. Does anyone know why my passenger side seat has wires from the seat belt but no place to plug them in? drivers side has two sets that do plug in. Also anyplace I can purchase red molded carpeting, like the original, thank you, Jim

These guys are the only supplier of molded carpets that I know of: TST carpets.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

sbs Avatar
sbs Steve S
It has wires because it's a driver's seat bottom that was swapped over.

There is an Australian company selling carpets, that the TWOA folks worked with to improve fitment. No personal experience, but based on reports it's the best available and reasonably priced.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Thank you Vance for the lead, I will pursue it
Thank you Steve for the explanation about the wires. It is a preproduction car built in Speke so they might of just thrown anything in it. By your explanation I am to believe that the passenger side never had the seatbelt detect capability. Is that correct? Just found out TST is the Australian company

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-05 04:07 PM by uspsmech.

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
Can't speak for earlier cars but my '81's seats both had seatbelt warning switches. The pad-like switch goes between the seat foam and the rubber diaphragm and the seats are 'handed' so I don't think that just grabbing whatever was around is likely. As far a swapping the cushion bottom goes, the seats would have to be taken apart to do this and the switches removed in the process.

uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
This has been an ongoing mystery with this car. A lot of strange stuff like no electric fans from the factory, just the engine fan and no shroud. The car was bought as a used car from the Triumph dealer in 1979 and was parked in 1984 until I bought it in 2009 and didn't get it on the road until 2016. I believe the car was pretty much original as it was purchased in 1979. They did sell off the preproduction cars as used cars. It also has the opening vents down by the foot wells which I understand is odd. And the gold colored factory alloys which the owner said were on the car when he bought it in 1979. I probably should have posted a better picture of the wires coming from the seat belt latch assembly that is bolted to the seat rail next to the trans tunnel and on the passenger side there is no harness to plug them into. This is not really a big deal I was just curious about what was up with this. I'll just chalk it up to another unsolved mystery about the car. I wish the damned thing could talk and give me a little history!

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
I can't comment on the wheels. Are they the later standard style silver wheels but in gold or something else? I think all the non AC cars had the fresh-air vent but not 100% sure. Only AC cars had electric radiator fans though. I'm guessing your's is non AC. Mine came with AC but over the course of the 37 years I've owned it I only used the AC a very few times (mostly to see if it worked). Now it's gone because I could not really justify hauling all the extra weight around for the sake of originality. I do like the still installed electric fans though an with I had a the fresh-air foot vents. - Pete

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Non AC cars had footwell vents and no electric fans. Just that big mechanical wind turbine. That ACN00025 white coupe I picked up in CT last year came with a brand new non AC lower radiator support, and upper brackets just like the ones on your car. If you want another passenger seat, let me know. I had so many that I threw away some last year. The white coupe and the TR7 coupe that came with it both have red and black interior. In fact the cars are virtually identical except for the whole TR7 TR8 thing. Even built the same month.

uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Thank you Todd. My seats and rails at actually in pretty good shape even the rubber pieces under the seat are serviceable.The 40 year old red tartan cloth inserts and the foam padding is why I am having them redone. What I really could use , if you have a spare is the seat rail adjustment bar for the drivers side. The passenger side looks new but the drivers side, well not so much. I was going to send the bar out to the powder coater but a factory finish is much preferred if you have a good one I will post a picture of the part in question, thanks

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

Attachments:
66221DAC-5B0F-4E1F-B233-7B79647BE1F4.jpeg    54.8 KB
66221DAC-5B0F-4E1F-B233-7B79647BE1F4.jpeg

48601D8E-CE93-48C2-BBFA-4E10E2CB723D.jpeg    37.2 KB
68600B4D-362F-469B-A9D7-5C5085CF251B.jpeg    37 KB
493B9A03-9F07-48CF-8FBD-D69B7E6284E6.jpeg    47.5 KB
uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
I put the reupholstered seats back into "007" today. Pretty happy with the workmanship and price. If you say they look just like the original fabric, that was the whole idea. Particularly like the job he did on headrest and the rear package shelf

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

Attachments:
seat1.jpg    47.8 KB
seat1.jpg

seat4.jpg    46.2 KB
seat2.jpg    42.9 KB
seat3.jpg    34.3 KB
nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1515696 by uspsmech I put the reupholstered seats back into "007" today. Pretty happy with the workmanship and price. If you say they look just like the original fabric, that was the whole idea. Particularly like the job he did on headrest and the rear package shelf

What is that material you used on the parcel shelf?

nick

uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Hello Nick. The material on the package shelf is actually a very close nap headliner material. In the picture it looks a little gray but it is really black. The shop I had do the work advised me this was the most workable fabric to fit the shape at the bottom of the wells,

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
Thanks. I will look into it.

nick

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
I saw a dash Mike Perkins did that was fuzzy like that. Its a process called frocking? I think. He sprayed glue on the dash and the fuzzy stuff was sprinkled onto the glue. Once it was dry, it was pretty cool. I guess thats what they did on the rally cars to cut down on glare. Always thought it would work well on that rear parcel shelf. Better than heating, glueing, and stretching vinyl anyway.

uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Good morning Todd. I think the process you are referring to is called flocking. (I think frocking has to do with naval rank promotions) Flocking had been a consideration but I couldn't find anyone to do it. I used J & L Auto Upholstery, Broadway, Raynham, MA . I think his price was fair and he did a decent job. He very quickly dispelled the idea of using vinyl as the original was vacuum formed

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster