Wire in dash

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, OH, USA   USA
Anyone know what this wire is for? 1980 tr8 carb car w/ ac...center top cluster light blue and white wire with round connection on end...don’t know what is used for...speaker option? I’m original owner so never been in this area...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
BC65CF49-EDEC-457D-91D6-2CF0B63F65BB.jpeg    50.8 KB
BC65CF49-EDEC-457D-91D6-2CF0B63F65BB.jpeg

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
I don't see an LUW (Light Blue with White) in the wiring diagram. There is a UW (Blue with White), seems to be involved with the high beam indicator light.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 10.30.07 AM.jpg    47.5 KB
Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 10.30.07 AM.jpg

sbs Avatar
sbs Steve S
It's actually white with blue. No connection there on my car either. The other end of that wire goes to the cluster.

The workshop manual diagram shows that (WU) as going to the choke warning light, and the other end unconnected just as we found it.

The pdf diagram referenced above doesn't show that, but does show it for the 78-79 diagram.

I think I remember that the pdf is for UK cars, so maybe it's a UK-US difference, or else an error in the pdf version.

The workshop manual diagram for the 80 EFI cars shows that this wire is connected for them.

The diagrams for the 81 cars (both UK and US) in the workshop manual shows the warning light section the way the pdf shows for the 80s.

I don't see an 80 UK wiring diagram in the workshop manual.

I'm glad this came up because I've been relying on that pdf diagram and now I know that I need to stick to the factory diagram...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 04:31 PM by sbs.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, OH, USA   USA
Thanks guys...there is nothing around it to connect and I wanted to see if I was missing something..makes sense...

ozkippy Michael Kip
Emerald, Victoria, Australia   AUS
1976 Triumph Stag "Staglet"
1978 Triumph TR7 "Yellow Wedge"
1979 Triumph TR7
Just as a by the by there is a nice resource re Lucas wiring colours on this site. Top of the page hover on the library button and click on Tech Library then scroll down to electrical section then Lucas wiring colours.
http://www.triumphexp.com/article/lucas-colours.html
A white wire with a blue trace is indeed a choke switch to solenoid or warning light or electronic ignition to a resistor.

Michael

Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, OH, USA   USA
Great info...will print and put in my workshop manual!!

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1509892 by Bergie Anyone know what this wire is for? 1980 tr8 carb car w/ ac...center top cluster light blue and white wire with round connection on end...don’t know what is used for...speaker option? I’m original owner so never been in this area...

Bob:

I can't tell for certain, but it appears that you are missing one or more of the plastic bushings that the "speaker grill" pins press in to hold it in place. I was missing a couple as well.

This can be a source of rattles, very annoying. Turns out that appropriately sized plastic screw anchors make a lovely replacement. I used them in several places in my restoration. The anchors for the A pillar trim were missing in my car, and larger screw anchors fixed that very nicely as well.

Dirt cheap, available at any hardware store.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

Attachments:
th[2].jpg    7.7 KB
th[2].jpg

Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, OH, USA   USA
Thanks Vance,,will add it...also double sided Velcro...I’m working on gauge cluster now...in progress....see pics
Bob

Attachments:
E5E1AC08-7392-4F45-BB7B-DCB4A1EB4136.jpeg    42 KB
E5E1AC08-7392-4F45-BB7B-DCB4A1EB4136.jpeg

62438409-3CB2-4346-AAE1-9E7B85C8D76A.jpeg    47.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
399876B9-A2D9-4DC6-8121-FBA3E5DE615B.jpeg    40 KB
0090F41D-0A10-4072-B57A-4FAF994D75CF.jpeg    37.2 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster