AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
North Providence, RI, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
This morning I went out to the garage to finish setting up my new 4 post lift. Because it was chilly I fired up the propane heater, open flame. Now normally I would go back in the House for a coffee and let the garage warm up. Because of the excitement of the new lift I stayed in the garage and started working. Soon I could smell something, no that’s not propane, that smell is gas!! A fuel line on my Fiat decided to leak, right next to the heater. Needless to say heater got shut off, drain got put under the leaking line, garage doors got opened and the disaster was averted After I got my heart under control I took stock and counted my blessings. You just can’t take enough safety precautions. I think I’ll play the lottery today!!! Sign me Lucky

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
078CCC5E-CD1B-4DDC-BE89-3A3A631E474B.jpeg    51.2 KB
078CCC5E-CD1B-4DDC-BE89-3A3A631E474B.jpeg

33633C3B-2059-476A-893A-DCB2916839F8.jpeg    42.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1509882 by uspsmech This morning I went out to the garage to finish setting up my new 4 post lift. Because it was chilly I fired up the propane heater, open flame. Now normally I would go back in the House for a coffee and let the garage warm up. Because of the excitement of the new lift I stayed in the garage and started working. Soon I could smell something, no that’s not propane, that smell is gas!! A fuel line on my Fiat decided to leak, right next to the heater. Needless to say heater got shut off, drain got put under the leaking line, garage doors got opened and the disaster was averted After I got my heart under control I took stock and counted my blessings. You just can’t take enough safety precautions. I think I’ll play the lottery today!!! Sign me Lucky

Yikes! eye popping smiley

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, VA, USA   USA
Jim, You are lucky! I'm surprised you couldn't smell the gasoline the minute you walked into the garage. It's best to replace all old rubber gas line with ethanol resistant type such as Gates Barricade Greenshield.

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
North Providence, RI, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
I believe I didn't smell the gas at first because it was not leaking at first. I had put the car away with a full tank for the winter. The tank has a top pickup with the line dropping down to the frame like a p-trap under your sink. The Fiat was on the two post lift with the heater almost directly under the tank. (my stupidity) As the heat rose up the gas expanded and entered the 40 year old fuel line which I assume had a pin hole in it. This might account for the Fiat running poorly last time I ran it. It was probably sucking air through the pin hole. In retrospect, Mona Lisa was always jealous of "007" ever since I brought him home. But I never thought she would resort to self immolation !!! Gotta love them hot blooded Italian women and the cars too!

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Triumph TR3A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links