Oil pan gasket replacement

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, OH, USA   USA
Hi Vance...its actually semi gloss black with the dining room table lighting shinning it up!...steel spreader plate works well to even up the tension and with composite gasket you can torque it down tight vs cork... will try and find the link for original article and specs on the spreader bar...

oil pan gasket...
http://shop.roverp6cars.com/SUMP-GASKET-3500-COMPOSITE

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, OH, USA   USA
here is one of the links on the rover v8 oil pan spread bar...

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=8&t=1343220&i=20

M1kem3 Avatar
M1kem3 Michael Rawlins
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
What kind of paint did you use? Was it high temp? Where did you get those bars for the bolts?

In reply to # 1509962 by Bergie I added these on the tr8 pan to get tension even on the sides...steel bar stock which I originally saw on a MGB v8 web site/forum....also switched to composite gasket and of course permatex ultra grey sealant...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, OH, USA   USA
Hi Michael...I had the oil pan soda blasted then I banged out dents as best I could...used 3 coats (light each layer) of etching paint then rustoleum semi gloss black, followed with 2 light coats clear...nothing fancy regular metal paint from hardware store........the spreader bar I had made at a fabricator for $50....the idea is with the steel pan on the sides there is too much space between the bolts and you cant get even pressure on the mount surface hence oil leaks eventually....spreader bar on the sides (rear already has a spreader bar) helps keep tension equal....its 1/4 inch steel bar stock-thin enough to fit in between the oil pan space.....I used a composite gasket and torqued it down tight with permatex grey...leaking rover v8 oil pan is not a new issue and there was another link that actually had a PDF (didn't save the file) file you could print with the specs on the bar-think it was on forum - v8bb.co.uk and I'm having trouble getting in with my sign on....came up with a search-"rover v8 oil sump gasket leaking"... I also used studs in the corners which helps remounting the pan when you follow the wedge shop -how to replace oil pan w/ engine in car...if you have the pan off you can mock up spreader bars easily and do it yourself.....

For the gasket I looked at all the options and composite looked the best from what I read and talked to folks...I have all the gaskets-cork/rubber fel pro, rubber (TVR racetech site) and composite. The link above w/ composite gasket- I talked to the owner and he has the gasket made at the factory that produces the rolls Royce oil pan gaskets...thicker and solves the 30 year old problem...spreader bar is further help...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links