AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Engine rebuild ready to go
  This topic is about my 1980 Triumph TR7
jb4249 Avatar
jb4249 Ted Bush
Highland Heights, USA   USA
I got my engine back from TSI, rebuild complete. Ready to install and first run up. All is progressing well, hope to start it tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-19 09:18 PM by jb4249.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCN0707.JPG    65.7 KB
DSCN0707.JPG

DSCN0708.JPG    56.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCN0709.JPG    66.5 KB
DSCN0710.JPG    57.4 KB
darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
Looks good! First start is always exciting, and a little scary at the same time...

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
The fun part is mating the gearbox to the engine from under the car. I have done it both ways and prefer to install them as a unit. When mating the gearbox after the engine is in I found this method of supporting the gearbox very helpful.

nick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
0004.JPG    54.4 KB
0004.JPG

Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
That looks nice, did you do any internal upgrades? You should find a way to change over to a new small Japanese compressor. The stock one is huge!

Ron
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT
Oxnard, CA

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Ted,

When I rebuilt my motor I torn it down to the bare block and started the rebuild from there. Once I had it machined and reassembled I installed it and made all the static settings in preparation for starting it. I anticipated lots of cranking and fiddling before getting it to start then more of the same to get it running properly. To my amazement I turned the key and it fired up immediately and ran smoothly. I checked timing with a strobe light and it needed only a very minor adjustment, it's been running ever since.

I hope your start up is as anticlimactic as mine.

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Ron,

I have an original York compressor also and it blows icy cold. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Ron Avery Ron A
Oxnard, CA, USA   USA
Good point.

Ron
1980 TR 8
1965 E-Type Jaguar
2016 Aston Martin Vantage GT
Oxnard, CA

jb4249 Avatar
jb4249 Ted Bush
The first run in went oK. Still have some carb problems but was able to get the first 10 minutes and now can change fluids and re-torque the head. Hope to get the carburetors
straightened out tomorrw and re-start;

jb4249 Avatar
jb4249 Ted Bush
Ran the engine for the first start up and all went well. Changed the oil and filter and drained water and replaced with coolant . Re torqued the head. Ran again for about 1/2 hour. Did some adjusting on the SU’s and tried to route all of the vacuum hoses. Still waiting for the K&N air filters and first drive should be tomorrow. Tried to post a short video or it running but it wouldn’t let me post it

jb4249 Avatar
jb4249 Ted Bush
I drove it home today. First time I’ve actually driven it. Ran good and handled well, for 20year old tires. I will working on other small ( compaired to the engine rebuild) and be ready for spring

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1934 Triumph Gloria

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links