AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

darrellwalker Darrell Walker
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1966 Triumph TR4A "Christy"
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
For those of you lucky enough to have a lift (ramp for our British friends), what do you use as lift points?

I just got a QuickJack. I'm thinking I'll use the lift points for the factory jack. I'm planning on getting some hockey pucks and putting a hole in them to go over the pin. But are there other areas that are OK to lift?

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RossL Silver Member Ross LoMonaco
NJ, USA   USA
Have you used the lift on the TR4 yet? How do you like it?

Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1508198 by RossL Have you used the lift on the TR4 yet? How do you like it?

I have not looked to see where I would use it on the TR4A. With a full frame, I think finding jacking points won't be a problem, and the wheelbase is a few inches longer than the Wedge, which give a little more flexibility in positioning as well.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TeeR8 Avatar
TeeR8 Gold Member Henri Lefebvre
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
Darrell,

I cannot help you with your query about lift points but I look forward to your opinion on the QuickJack once you have the TR8 off the ground.
I would also like to see pictures.
I am considering a similar type jack that I can use for the TR8, MGB GT and Mustang.
What made you choose the QuickJack over the EZ Car Lift?

Henri
1980 TR8, Platinum
1971 MGB GT, Midnight Blue

Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1508224 by TeeR8 What made you choose the QuickJack over the EZ Car Lift?

I like that the two lift parts are separate, makes easier to store, and leaves more of the underside unobstructed. I know that you can remove the cross pieces on the EZcarlift, but that is just extra steps.

On the other hand, the QuickJack has the hoses and power unit to mess with.

I have set the lift up and bled it. The quick connects really do seem to contain the fluid.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-18 11:50 AM by darrellwalker.

Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
I got the car up on the lift!

I got four hockey pucks, and drilled holes to go over the pins on the jack points. I sized them so they would stay when pressed onto the pin. I the used the large blocks from the kit. I had to notch the rear ones, the tray where they go is divided into two sections, but because the front wheel is really close to the front lift point, I couldn’t position the lift frames any other way. Cutting that slot was probably the hardest part of the whole thing! Anyway, here are a bunch of pictures. On the higher lock point, I get 17” (43 cm) of space under the subframe. The car seems at least as stable as when on jack stands.

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
IMG_0116.jpg    46.6 KB
IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg    33.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0119.jpg    35.6 KB
IMG_0120.jpg    33.6 KB
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
More pictures, next to last is on the lower lock point, the last is on the upper lock point

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-19 01:50 PM by darrellwalker.

Attachments:
IMG_0121.jpg    42.7 KB
IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg    32.5 KB
IMG_0123.jpg    44.1 KB
IMG_0124.jpg    43 KB
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
One more, the view underneath from the front

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

Attachments:
IMG_0125.jpg    37.5 KB
IMG_0125.jpg

Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
Darrell:

Are you able to get underneath on a creeper and have enough room to work?

In reply to # 1508459 by darrellwalker One more, the view underneath from the front

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
North Coast Triumph Association
TWOA

Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1508606 by Pat.L Darrell:

Are you able to get underneath on a creeper and have enough room to work?

In reply to # 1508459 by darrellwalker One more, the view underneath from the front

Hi Pat,

I don't have creeper (yet), but there is plenty of room laying on my back. I think there still would be with a creeper, but it is one of those things that is hard to gauge until you try it.

-Darrell

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

DaveH Dave H
Ottawa, ON, Canada   CAN
QuickJack is the best invention! I don’t have enough space nor cash to install a two or four post lift and this thing does the job done. It lifts up high enough to get a creeper under most of the way. I got hung up on the muffler but then again no one would say I am thin. I have used it to lift up my TR7, MGB, and even my Pontiac. I found I didn’t need to make any modifications to the lifting pads. I just let the pegs go into the rubber block. They are taking a beating with the different cars but they are still as solid as new. I replaced the rubber feet on the power unit with castors so I can slid it out of the way easier. If you plan on leaving it up for a longer period of time you can disconnect the hoses to the power unit once the locking brackets are engaged. Don’t have any pictures because the unit is tucked off to side while an MGB is sitting on a dolly in my garage. It will be used before spring to put the engine back in my 80 TR7 DHC!

Dave

Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1509999 by DaveH I replaced the rubber feet on the power unit with castors so I can slid it out of the way easier.

Dave

Great idea Dave, I might steal that!

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1509999 by DaveH QuickJack is the best invention! I don’t have enough space nor cash to install a two or four post lift and this thing does the job done. It lifts up high enough to get a creeper under most of the way. I got hung up on the muffler but then again no one would say I am thin. I have used it to lift up my TR7, MGB, and even my Pontiac. I found I didn’t need to make any modifications to the lifting pads. I just let the pegs go into the rubber block. They are taking a beating with the different cars but they are still as solid as new. I replaced the rubber feet on the power unit with castors so I can slid it out of the way easier. If you plan on leaving it up for a longer period of time you can disconnect the hoses to the power unit once the locking brackets are engaged. Don’t have any pictures because the unit is tucked off to side while an MGB is sitting on a dolly in my garage. It will be used before spring to put the engine back in my 80 TR7 DHC!

Dave

Maybe I am not understanding something about the QuickJack. Darrell said he needed to make modifications because the lift was too long for the TR7. But I think you said you did not have to modify it, Can you or Darrell elaborate?

nick

Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1981 Triumph TR8 "Kate"
In reply to # 1510663 by nick Maybe I am not understanding something about the QuickJack. Darrell said he needed to make modifications because the lift was too long for the TR7. But I think you said you did not have to modify it, Can you or Darrell elaborate?

I had to modify two of the blocks. It could be that Dave has a different model. I have the BL-3500SLX, which is the only current model that will fit between the wheelbase of a Wedge. But when I was researching it, their older 5000 model must have been a bit shorter than the current one, because a lot of Miata folks wanted them when they went away, so they could use it on other vehicles.

So Dave, what model do you have?

Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206
Vancouver, WA, USA

kansanbrit Avatar
kansanbrit Phil H
Bonner Springs, KS, USA   USA
1952 MG D-Type Midget
1964 Morris Mini-Minor
1980 Triumph TR8
1980 Triumph TR8 "TR8 Holley"    & more
Any of the chassis rails that are not rusty will support her fine. Nothing clever needed.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster