TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

82 TR7, rebuilt engine run in stopped after 20 min, won’t restart.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
Here is the setup I removed from 79 car. Alison electronic ignition with the distributor. There are options on this type of setup.

nick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20160226_130314.jpg    33.5 KB
20160226_130314.jpg

dmtrmp6 Daryl M
FADDEN, ACT, Australia   AUS
Tim, et al,

Check out the following post elsewhere on this forum:- http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,1287410

Includes a wealth of information and embedded reference material - pictures, drawings, extract from the repair manual, research paper (Tony Rhodes), specs, part number cross references for the electronic module and alternate coil ("coil/transformer thing"winking smiley. Essentially when you break the ignition assembly down into it's component parts the options expand.

Good luck. Rgds, DM

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1506722 by nick Here is the setup I removed from 79 car. Alison electronic ignition with the distributor. There are options on this type of setup.

Back when I had my TR7 (1977 to 1980, IIRC) Went through three Opus modules and gave up, converting to the Allison ignition setup you show. No issues after that, so I was happy.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Draegon Tim Barrick
Hamilton, ON, Canada   CAN
Thanks for all the help guys.

I had the new module installed, it still doesn’t work.

It’s the coil, it’s drawing 280k ohms, so is shot.

Does anyone know of the specific coil that I can install in this unit?

It has 4 small bolts that mounts the hei coil into the assembly.

A 1979 Chevy pick-up truck coil is exact in dimensions, but is missing 2 bolt holes, and has a different wiring connector, close but no cigar.

Any ideas?

Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1506971 by Draegon Thanks for all the help guys.

I had the new module installed, it still doesn’t work.

It’s the coil, it’s drawing 280k ohms, so is shot.

Does anyone know of the specific coil that I can install in this unit?

It has 4 small bolts that mounts the hei coil into the assembly.

A 1979 Chevy pick-up truck coil is exact in dimensions, but is missing 2 bolt holes, and has a different wiring connector, close but no cigar.

Any ideas?

Delco D525 (NAPA MPE IC22SB ) is the replacement for the original coil. It is not an exact replacement, and supposedly requires new wires from the module to the coil. I do not know if it has all the mounting holes you are looking for. Full disclosure: I do not have this setup, and have not verified the suitability of the replacement.

Vance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-11 06:31 PM by Darth V8R.

Draegon Tim Barrick
Thanks Vance, I was just at Napa today, will go pick up that coil tomorrow if I can.

Hopefully it’s not too difficult to wire in.

Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1507035 by Draegon Thanks Vance, I was just at Napa today, will go pick up that coil tomorrow if I can.

Hopefully it’s not too difficult to wire in.

Keep your old coil. You might find it easiest to simply swap the wires and/or the connector between the two coils.

Please report back on any issues, fitment, etc. and of course whether or not it gets your wedge running.

Vance

Draegon Tim Barrick
I picked up the coil today.

I went for the premium version, as the one you named was not available. It’s larger than the one it’s replacing, but luckily the mounting for the coil has 4 extra wider spaced holes that the new one will bolt into.

I’ll let you know once it’s rewired.

Just after I got home from the parts store, I got a call from one of my British car places, and the found me the exact coil/igniter that was installed on my TR7. It’s used, but they told me they’ve never seen one fail before...lol

I’ll get it as a back-up in case the Frankensteined unit I’m making fails.

Thanks

Darth V8R Avatar
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
In reply to # 1507165 by Draegon I picked up the coil today.

I went for the premium version, as the one you named was not available. It’s larger than the one it’s replacing, but luckily the mounting for the coil has 4 extra wider spaced holes that the new one will bolt into.

I’ll get it as a back-up in case the Frankensteined unit I’m making fails.

Thanks

Here's a NOS one on eBay for $29. Depends on how you feel about eBay, my experience has been mostly positive. So if the heavy duty one does not work out...confused smiley

BTW, the replacement coil does have 4 holes in the bracket. drinking smiley

Cheers,

Vance

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 10:07 AM by Darth V8R.

Attachments:
s-l1600.jpg    56.9 KB
s-l1600.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster