AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR 7 manual choke cable picture?
  This topic is about my 1980 Triumph TR7
jb4249 Avatar
jb4249 Ted Bush
Highland Heights, USA   USA
I have a 1980 TR7 that I am bringing back to life after many years storage. The P.O. installed SU carbs and I am sticking with them. The engine is currently in the process of being rebuilt by TSI and his machine shop. The choke cable the PO used was from a lawn mower and wasn’t working. I have optained the proper dual choke cable and installed under the dash but am uncertain how to route it around the engine and attach to the manifold. Am I missing a bracket?
Thanks, Ted

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
It routes over the top of the valve cover and connects to the choke arms from above. There is a clip with a detent pin that screws into the side of the carb. It only fits on the early carbs that were delivered with the manual choke. Later carbs just have the untapped boss for where the clip goes. There is a complete manual choke conversion available, but I've never seen one in person, so I don't know how that kit attaches to the carb. Somehow you will need to make a bracket that holds the cable housing and allows the solid inner wire to move back and forth without moving the housing.

jb4249 Avatar
jb4249 Ted Bush
Highland Heights, USA   USA
This was how the P.O. did it. Didn’t work at all

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
05832EB0-C226-4F17-8DF9-62B18443ACF5.jpeg    45.5 KB
05832EB0-C226-4F17-8DF9-62B18443ACF5.jpeg

nick Avatar
nick nick m
Bend, OR, USA   USA
Inside the circle is a hole through the carb body. The choke cable and cable housing thread into that hole. The cable itself extends through the hole out the bottom and attaches to the choke lever with a small retaining screw. This setup is on the front carb. From the firewall the cable comes across the top of the engine.

nick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-30 11:56 AM by nick.

Attachments:
DSC_2756_LI.jpg    46.5 KB
DSC_2756_LI.jpg

20160216_141832.jpg    57.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
trekcarbonboy Avatar
trekcarbonboy Craig Hall
Perkasie, PA, USA   USA
My cable is what S&S prep sent me as the correct SU-LHD choke cable. The housing seems a bit short but does the job. I put a bit of fuel hose on the end to lessen the stress on the cable.

Attachments:
choke1.jpg    51.6 KB
choke1.jpg

choke2.jpg    44 KB
dmtrmp6 Daryl M
FADDEN, ACT, Australia   AUS
SU installation typically only requires a single choke cable assembly which connects to one carb only. The motion is transferred to the second carb via a linkage assembly similar, but different, to that used to transfer motion between the throttle/accelerator cable and the butterfly on each carb.

The linkage for the choke cable is closest to the air cleaner side of the carb and operates on the mixture/metering jet assembly via a separate link rod on each carb. Refer to the repair manual or various online sources for the correct fit/adjustment procedure for choke, throttle and mixture adjustment/balance/tune.

Following two photographs show the single choke cable fitted to the front carb (dolomite sprint install) and second photograph (TR6) shows the inter carb and mixture link assemblies. All of these parts are readily available from suppliers such as; Rimmers, Burlen carbs (UK) etc . Hope this helps. Rgds, Daryl M

Attachments:
dolly sprint carbs fitted small.jpg    22.8 KB
dolly sprint carbs fitted small.jpg

tr6 twin su hs6 with heat shield small.JPG    17.8 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster