TRExp

TR7 & TR8 Forum

Offenhauser VS Edelbrock for 4 barrel conversion.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RossL Silver Member Ross LoMonaco
NJ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1507270 by Bergie BTW.....the spectre in line air filter is buried in the hose close to the air duct on fender well...

Thank you for all the pictures and links. Is the filter body, the silver showing between the elbows and hose?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, OH, USA   USA
Yes its partially inside the black hose elbows at fender wells...the black flexible hose slips over the in line filter and I used a 2 inch wide hose clamp to secure it...never know its in there...

POW Peter Wirth
HEBRON, NH - New Hampshire, USA   USA
In reply to # 1507270 by Bergie BTW.....the spectre in line air filter is buried in the hose close to the air duct on fender well...

What does the element look like? I'm having trouble visualizing a good flowing filter inside a 4" air duct hose.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, OH, USA   USA
this is the in line air filter housing should be the 4inch unit...spectre 9833
https://www.spectreperformance.com/search/product.aspx?prod=9833

this is the air filter inside it-conical shaped... HPR9833
https://www.spectreperformance.com/search/product.aspx?prod=HPR9833

Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, OH, USA   USA
Also I cut off the 3inch ends of the aluminum housing and used a small section (3 or 4 inches) of the housing to hold the air filter in the silicone elbows ...black hose slips over this housing and a 2inch clamp holds it in place...air filter sits in the elbow section mainly...

NJ, USA   USA
Does anyone know the tap size for the bleeder that feeds the header tank. Drilled into the triangular pad on the Edelbrock manifold. I assume some sort of pipe thread tap is required

Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, OH, USA   USA
Likely a 1/8-27 NPT tap...bring woodies bleed nipple to ace hardware (plumbing section) store and confirm or call and ask him....

Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Patrick Ledford
New Wilmington, PA, USA   USA
Are you using the original Stromburg fitting, or are you going to obtain a 90* elbow? I followed Bergies suggestion and tapped into the Thermostat housing with a 3/8 X 1/4 NPT 90* fitting. I was afraid to drill the manifold. Which was a smart move as I almost screwed up the T-Housing. I was going to take some photos this afternoon and i will post what I did, or check out Bergie's posts

if you are using a new fitting then match the tap to the new threads. Edelbrock has some nice heater hose fittings from Russel. I think 8167 is a black 3/8 X3/8 Barbed Fitting, also they have chrome.

In reply to # 1507568 by RossL Does anyone know the tap size for the bleeder that feeds the header tank. Drilled into the triangular pad on the Edelbrock manifold. I assume some sort of pipe thread tap is required

Patrick
1980 TR8 DHC TPVDV8AT209637
1957 TR-3 Under restoration TS20462LO
Western Pennsylvania Triumph Association
North Coast Triumph Association
TWOA

Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, OH, USA   USA
with the edelbrock 2198 intake there is a lot of meat (ie aluminum) under the triangle section of the manifold so no worries drilling and tapping that section... that is there so you can drill and tap the M22 x 1.5 cooling fan switch for TR8 low speed operation in carb AC car...for the nipple you can use woodies bleed or look at a standard brass 1/8 NPT x 5/16 hose barb-$2.00 at ace hardware...I cant find woodies bleed nipple but think the orifice is smaller than the 1/8 npt inside diameter...either way you need a bleed in the intake before the thermostat-highest point if possible...BTW I drilled and tapped in the offey/john wolf racing dual plane intake on the top of the thermostat housing in front of tstat no issues for bleed ...when in doubt take to a machine shop...

edelbrock 2198 pic attached showing bleed nipple hole in triangle area,...

Attachments:
edelbrock 1.jpg    41.9 KB
edelbrock 1.jpg

NJ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1507587 by Bergie with the edelbrock 2198 intake there is a lot of meat (ie aluminum) under the triangle section of the manifold so no worries drilling and tapping that section... that is there so you can drill and tap the M22 x 1.5 cooling fan switch for TR8 low speed operation in carb AC car...for the nipple you can use woodies bleed or look at a standard brass 1/8 NPT x 5/16 hose barb-$2.00 at ace hardware...I cant find woodies bleed nipple but think the orifice is smaller than the 1/8 npt inside diameter...either way you need a bleed in the intake before the thermostat-highest point if possible...BTW I drilled and tapped in the offey/john wolf racing dual plane intake on the top of the thermostat housing in front of tstat no issues for bleed ...when in doubt take to a machine shop...

edelbrock 2198 pic attached showing bleed nipple hole in triangle area,...

Where does this go? "that is there so you can drill and tap the M22 x 1.5 cooling fan switch for TR8 low speed operation in carb AC car", Is this another hole in addition to the hole for the bleed nipple?

Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Patrick Ledford
As i posted above with emailing and posting with Bergie I tapped my thermostat housing instead of the manifold, from initial testing it seems to have cured my fluctuating temperature reading. I also change the thermostat to a 180 with by pass holes. Since the Edelbrock does not have the spot for the high speed fan sensor I moved the high speed wires to the sensor on the radiator and I can if I want set the low speed to run continuously. All this did was have the high speed fans come on around 197* instead of around 225*.

Patrick
TWOA

Attachments:
IMG_1003.JPG    37.3 KB
IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG    50.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1008.JPG    53.1 KB
NJ, USA   USA
I purchased this on eBay, does this do the same thing as your mod?

If anyone is interested this guy has two more: 1961 Buick Thermostat housing (ebay)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 04:23 PM by RossL.

Attachments:
1961 buick thern house1.jpg    19 KB
1961 buick thern house1.jpg

1961 buick thern house2.jpg    21 KB
Pat.L Avatar
Pat.L Patrick Ledford
That would work if the nipple opens to the Thermostat area. does the bolt pattern work.

In reply to # 1507660 by RossL I purchased this on eBay, does this do the same thing as your mod?

If anyone is interested this guy has two more: 1961 Buick Thermostat housing (ebay)

Patrick
TWOA

Bergie Bob Berg
Powell, OH, USA   USA
that is correct with 10'o clock hose orientation for TR8...my housing in pic attached ...

Attachments:
t stat housing TR8.jpg    36.1 KB
t stat housing TR8.jpg

NJ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1507666 by Pat.L That would work if the nipple opens to the Thermostat area. does the bolt pattern work.

In reply to # 1507660 by RossL I purchased this on eBay, does this do the same thing as your mod?

I didn't receive it yet, there is an opening in the manifold that should line up with the extra nipple/fitting. I am assuming it's behind the thermostat. GM part number is 1194041

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 05:22 PM by RossL.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Triumph Spitfire MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links