AutoShrine Sponsor

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1977 Triumph TR7 "Rally Fraud"
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
Yesterday I was working in the garage having a very productive day. Get a emergency call for work and run out to replace a well storage tank. As I'm getting home, I can't pull into the driveway. My wife is sitting at the end of the driveway in her Rover with her face buried in hands. I can't get in so I beep and motion for her to pull up. We both get into the driveway and I can see she is very upset. Get out to see whats wrong and she says, I just wrecked your car. WHAT? "I was backing out of the driveway to go get Tessa and there was a long line of traffic. I forgot your car was at the edge of the driveway(its out there for sale) and when there was finally a break, I cut the wheel and went to pull out. She dragged the front corner of the Rovers bumper from just behind the drivers door all the way to the front bumper. Rear quarter is barely damaged, door is trashed and front fender has a rip in it. Rover bumper is cracked, but who care about that. One step closer to me confiscating that thing for good and putting that glorious 4.6L into a proper british sports car.

She was really upset, so I send her into the house and I go pick up my daughter. She is still very upset when I get back. Give her a big hug, and tell her its just normal race weekend damage. No problem. We'll be back out there for the next session. Go get some work clothes on and meet me in the driveway. 2 Hours later we have another door hung, the front bumper has been removed, and the fender has been cut away. Then I told her to clean up and I took her to the movies. I was hoping I could get it ready for paint by the end of the day, but already have an emergency water heater call and I have to hang around the high school while my daughter and 25 other students take their driving license exam. School has an agreement with a driving school and a registry official to conduct exams every other month on a Sunday morning at the school.

Turns out the incident is a mixed blessing. The door she had was starting to rust from the inside, so it was going to need some work soon anyway. Once I removed the fender, I realized the PO had done a no no when he had the whole car painted. There was rust at the bottom of the fender. Instead of cutting it away, he put new metal over it and left the treated rusty part. At least I know the car will be even better when I'm done. If I have my wife help me some more, I'll have her pull the vent window in the passenger side door and the trim under the windshield and give those a shiny new coat of black paint. Give her a task to feel good about instead of grinding and welding. Off to go sit in a school parking lot for several hours. Still have the ambitious goal of getting the car ready for paint by the end of the day.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCI1754.JPG    53.8 KB
DSCI1754.JPG

helpme Robert S
Pasadena, CA, USA   USA
Lets see, a wife that you love, and a daughter that you love. - PRICELESS -

uspsmech Avatar
uspsmech Jim F
North Providence, RI, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8 "007"
Your a good man, Todd, Wish I had your patience, Jim

" Enjoy the Drive", Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TRifik Rob M
Chicago, IL, USA   USA
What a great way to handle the situation, turning a negative to a positive. Well done Todd!

Rob

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Ran out of daylight, and didn't finish. Only got 3.5 hours in and I found and repaired some more rust in behind the fender. Still need to make a section of inner fender and then hang the new fender. Hopefully the phone won't ring tomorrow and I'll have the day to finish this and go get some orange paint. My daughter passed her drivers exam and now wants a red convertible with a tan top,,,, but not a TR7/8. Looking at Miatas and Toyota Solaras. She also wants an automatic so finding a red with tan automatic Miata is going to be a challenge. Not so much for the Solara.

Auto8 Silver Member John R.
Chesapeake, VA, USA   USA
Is that the "Rally Fraud" without the stickers and blue paint on the hood?

robtr8 Rob Stephenson
Lake St Louis, MO, USA   USA
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=&formSourceTag=112&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c14103&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c14105&zip=63367&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=182815953

1980 TR8 - MBT-RX, Overdrive Plus, GM-D9605, GS62, TS-SW2502S4 (2X)
2006 XC90 V8 - AVH3300NEX, PDX-F4 (2X), PDX-M12, L1V2, AR6K, GB12D4 (2X)
2008 328xi - AVH7800BT, GM-D8604, GM-D9605, MT230, GB40, XE 200, Primo 12"
2011 XC60 T6 RD - She won't let me.

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Yes. Here is a picture pre incident. Stickers are gone, lights are gone, still has mud flaps, but those may come off as well. Just cleaned it all up including giving it a nice waxing before I put it out front. Going to look at a red 2000 Solara convertible with a V6, 110,000 miles, tan leather, and a new tan top for the kid.

Attachments:
DSC04417.JPG    57.4 KB
DSC04417.JPG

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1484074 by TR8todd She was really upset, so I send her into the house and I go pick up my daughter. She is still very upset when I get back. Give her a big hug, and tell her its just normal race weekend damage. No problem. We'll be back out there for the next session. Go get some work clothes on and meet me in the driveway. 2 Hours later we have another door hung, the front bumper has been removed, and the fender has been cut away. Then I told her to clean up and I took her to the movies.

Todd:

Sounds like you have a good marriage. You da man!

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

sbs Avatar
sbs Steve S
Quote: Looking at Miatas and Toyota Solaras. She also wants an automatic so finding a red with tan automatic Miata is going to be a challenge. Not so much for the Solara.

Look for a 95 M edition. Took me several years to find mine because all the low-mileage rust-free cars were automatics.

Solara a safer car for a new driver, though...

Sorry to hear about the fender bender but am inspired by how the story turned.

My version of the story would be more like "Wife backed into my car. Can anybody recommend a good defense attorney?"

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Picked up a red with tan V6 Solara for the kid today. Really nice condition. Super clean. Original owner was an old lady then it was sold to an old man 8 years ago. My take while driving it was boring, comfy, functional, surprisingly quick. Not going to be competitive in any autocross class. Power top is pretty slick. Can't remember the last time I was in a convertible and could listen to the radio. Now we just need to figure out where she is going to park it. Might have to load a project car on the trailer and start parking the trailer and a car off site somewhere.

tr7v8mike Avatar
tr7v8mike Gold Member Michael Booth
SYDNEY, NSW, Australia   AUS
Tr8's and Miata's don't really look all that different. Tell your daughter that the TR8 was the prototype from which the Miata was developed, so the TR8 is really just a very special Miata.

tr8 Paul m
ottawa, ON, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1484466 by TR8todd Might have to load a project car on the trailer and start parking the trailer and a car off site somewhere.

I think there is a rule somewhere that you are supposed to have at least one more car than you have parking spaces....

TR8todd Avatar
TR8todd Todd Kishbach
Mass, USA   USA
1978 Triumph TR8
1979 Triumph TR7
Figured I'd update this thread and put it to bed. Never found the time to fix the paint on my own so I paid to have it done. I did manage to do most of the body work and hang the fender. Painter went down both sides of the car and fixed a few spots where the paint lifted when I removed those hideous vinyl stickers all over the car. Looks really good now.

Attachments:
DSCI1786.JPG    61.5 KB
DSCI1786.JPG

DSCI1791.JPG    60.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSCI1792.JPG    53.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
tr8 Paul m
ottawa, ON, Canada   CAN
looks good

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster