Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

sheetsofsound Avatar
sheetsofsound Brent Taylor
New Westminster, BC, Canada   CAN
I`ll have to double check, but I`m pretty sure he rotors are off a 2001 Civic. They are 10mm taller than the stock Miata rotor that goes with that caliper, and the same thickness. I didn`t use the Miata rotor because the hat was too shallow. And yes, the brake cable entry position dictated where the caliper ended up. The other position that almost worked was with the caliper at around two o`clock, but the way the cable ran, if I hit the bump stop it would have also applied the parking brake. Not a feature I consider an upgrade, but potentially quite entertaining.

This shot gives some idea of the challenges. It might be possible with the shallow hat of Miata rotors to move the calipers out far enough so the cable can clear the springs, but the brackets to do it ended up being really thick where they attach to the caliper and really thin where they attach to the axle. It might have been fine, but I didn`t like it.

Brent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-28 11:27 PM by sheetsofsound.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sbs Avatar
sbs Steve S
OK that confirms that we need to be around 45mm rotor height.

I need to find a better rotor catalog because the ones I've been using list Civics as 60-70mm centerbore.

I hadn't even begun to think about cable routing issues - one more thing to worry about.

sheetsofsound Avatar
I did go through a few different options looking for rotors. I'll check and make sure I got the year right.

The cable routing was the big surprise. It completely dictated the caliper placement and caused me the most grief. A unexpected surprise. Again, I need to check my notes, but I think the VW caliper with the bracket at the top may allow you use the stock cable. I quit investigating when I got the Miata calipers at such a good price.

Brent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 07:50 AM by sheetsofsound.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
sbs Avatar
sbs Steve S
Added a couple of VW calipers to my earlier post.

They will use the same ~9mm rotor as the miata non-sport.

sheetsofsound Avatar
Checked the rotors - 2000 Honda Civic/ Integra #31149 96544

Brent

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster