tr 7 turn signal switch

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

saegerlpn Joseph S
Cape May, NJ, USA   USA
hello everyone I am new to this forum about tr 7 s and I would like to know if anyone knows how to put a 1980 tr 7 turn signal switch back together (left side) I made the mistake of taking the cover off on both sides and the turn signal switch seemed to have fallen apart.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mcmahontr7 Chris McMahon
Fort Worth, TX, USA   USA
I'm gonna go get my spare and disassemble it and take a pic for you

saegerlpn Joseph S
Cape May, NJ, USA   USA
Fabulous! Thanks! I appreciate it! Anything would be a great help.....

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mcmahontr7 Chris McMahon
Do u have all these parts? This is how the parts go with each other. The copper bar goes horizontal in first in the hole that has the connective under it. The other 2 go on the sides. The 1/2 moon sides. The 3 white nipples go on top of each spring. I'll send one more pic.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    55.5 KB
image.jpeg

mcmahontr7 Chris McMahon
This is the best I could do. Let me know if this helps.
Chris

Attachments:
image.jpeg    34.7 KB
image.jpeg

saegerlpn Joseph S
Cape May, NJ, USA   USA
Hi Chris my name is Joe thank you very much for the pictures and interest in trying to help me with this project I had a few other things get in happen. I think I still have all of the pieces you showed in the picture except for one of the white buttons I have to look at everything again. So thank you and I will let you know how this turns out please give me a day or so thanks again. [:

mcmahontr7 Chris McMahon
Good deal. I really don't see the point of having the plastic set in the bottom of the picture. The ball bearing set is what keeps the turn signal down or up. The copper set is what hits the contacts to complete the circuit.
Anyway, check it out. I'd you can't find the 3rd white nipple and you need it, I will send you one.
Why did u take it apart?
Chris

saegerlpn Joseph S
Cape May, NJ, USA   USA
Hi Chris I just returned and in a day or two I should be able to try to reassemble the turn signal switch I am sorry I couldn't do it sooner but I got called away hey thanks for your help

Tri-Al Avatar
Tri-Al Al Markowski
Cleveland, OH, USA   USA
If worse comes to worse, it may be worth your while to buy a cheap Chinese knockoff switch and use the parts inside to rebuild the original. If you try to use the Chinese knockoff, I guarantee the switch handle will rotate out of it's holder within a few uses! The Lucas ones are worth rebuilding with knockoff parts. They're made the same, EXCEPT for the durability of the handle! Ask me how I know! Went through 2 knockoffs. Back to the Lucas!

mcmahontr7 Chris McMahon
If you ever do get a new one, check its function before you bolt it all together. I had one recently where the turn signal wires were set up backwards. Left went right and right went left. I was pissed. I fixed it, but that's how I know how all the inner workings are.

Chris

Tri-Al Avatar
Tri-Al Al Markowski
Cleveland, OH, USA   USA
This is why I advocate using the original if possible and just re-building it if necessary. No change in wiring. If you do use a new switch, I recall having to change one terminal in the main plug!

mcmahontr7 Chris McMahon
Have you tackled that turn signal yet Joe?

Chris

mcmahontr7 Chris McMahon
The pictures and assembly info in this discussion

Chris

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1975 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links