AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

18593210 Avatar
18593210 Silver Member Wilbur Cook
Austin, TX, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB V6 Conversion
1980 Triumph TR8 "BLUE GOOSE"
1981 Triumph TR8 "CHESTER"
Thanks TOM. the compressor that was on the tr is a delco that died. At least I can take it to the parts store. for a replacement.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
18593210 Avatar
Austin, TX, USA   USA
I found a new delco AC compressor and Dryer/ receiver at Advance Auto. They did have to order them but I think they are the right parts. I had a lot of numbers for them to cross reference the new parts. $220. for both parts.

dhuddleson Avatar
dhuddleson David Huddleson
Manotick, ON, Canada   CAN
Actually the TWOA #24 article being tagged as by me is not quite true.... although it is a rewrite of something I did write for the predecessor TR8 Car Club of America in the 1990's. Anyone replacing the Delco R4 compressor should be very careful to understand the difference between the (original) Superheat model and the revised High Pressure model compressor! Although Triumph stayed with the Superheat version, General Motors switched/converted to the HP version about 1978.

If you go buy a replacement/remanufactured Delco R4 compressor, which one are you getting? Do you know? If you know how to wire it up, and understand the theory of operation, then great! But if you are trying to just substitute the compressor and plug all the old wires/Superheat switch/thermal fuse back in, you may encounter problems! Superheat switches cannot physically fit into a newer HP version of the compressor. Please go read the TWOA article (or I prefer you go back to the original TR8CCA artlcle) to understand more.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
18593210 Avatar
Austin, TX, USA   USA
I'm replacing a Delco compressor with another delco same numbers. I will follow your suggestion though. There is a wire harness with the fuse in it already but I will keep looking before conneccting everything. THANK YOU DAVE.

imgizmo2 Tim Mantel
Chesterton, IN, USA   USA
greetings, with the disassembly of a TR8 parts car, I saved the entire AC system. I have the evaporator, condenser, drier, electrical controls, etc. I live in Indiana, southwest of Chicago, IL.

18593210 Avatar
Austin, TX, USA   USA
Pictures of the condenser please. The part that fits in front of the radiator, to show condition. I have found everything else so far I have most everything NOS. thanks.

tomsclassiccar Tom Tonks
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi Tim do you still have that used TR8 AC system collection of parts? If so what is included and what is the cost? Would it ship in USPS “if it fits it ships” boxes to my Niagara Falls post box? —Thanks, Tom Tonks

dhuddleson Avatar
dhuddleson David Huddleson
Manotick, ON, Canada   CAN
Tom,

Do you have a TR8 that previously had A/C or was it a heater-only car? The reason I ask is that you will need the whole under-dash unit if the vehicle did not have A/C before. The heater "box" is a completely different beast between a non-AC and an AC car. I do have a used complete AC under-dash unit here, and in fact I have most or all of the bracketry and engine compartment pieces for the original A/C configuration including wiring and relays.

tomsclassiccar Tom Tonks
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi David, I talked on the phone to you last summer. My car is an A\C equipped 1980 TR8. The entire system has been corrupted by a drier that degenerated and spread bits of drier material throughout the entire system. The mechanic working on the system says it would be better to find a used system than to try to clean out all of the old components which he “thinks” could be done but has a questionable outcome. So I am looking for everything....heater/AC box with with a good evaporator and valve, compressor, condenser etc. everything. I think I can still get a new drier and I have a new ”Ranco” and new hoses and connectors installed.
I was hoping that I could get a Vintage Air unit that would fit but the cost and the complication is impractical so it is back to the drawing board.....which means fixing the original equipment system.
If you know of anyone in Toronto or area that has the experience to advise me on this, I would appreciate knowing who that might be and I would appreciate your take on my situation.
Thanks,
Tom

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1975 Triumph TR7

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links