AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Yellow striped radiator hoses
  This topic is about my 1968 Triumph TR250
Barravecchia Silver Member John Barravecchia
Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
Anyone know where i can buy a set of original style yellow striped radiator hoses or am i better just going with black. Trying to go as original as i can. Thanks in advance

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533698 by Barravecchia Anyone know where i can buy a set of original style yellow striped radiator hoses or am i better just going with black. Trying to go as original as i can. Thanks in advance

John-
Much like original Michelin Redline Tires these hoses have long been out of production. Supposedly someone on the east coast a few years back had a few NOS sets but as the rumor mill goes they wanted north of $3k for them.

There have been a few guys that have replicated these hoses by painting the yellow stripes on. I've seen them and the results look ok from a distance but up close not so much.

I have several of these hoses I've collected over the last 30 odd years, great for a static display but wouldn't run them. They were very robust hoses. Even when they were totally petrified they still hung in there and didn't leak.

I've actually explored tooling up to reproduce these hoses, and it is still on my radar right now. We've reverse engineered these hoses and determined how they were made, however the methods used are very old school and it is hard to find a rubber fabrication shop that even knows how to do it.

If others jump on this thread and say they'd buy a set at say $400 a car set it might just motivate me to pull this one off. If not I'd just be making them for myself.

GH

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
This would be a fun & interesting project but pretty expensive undertaking. Not sure if there are enough TR250 owners out there that would be willing to purchase them in that price point range. Didn't it take Charles (TRF) a long time and big monetary investment to get the "green" hoses made?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
F1000RACER Avatar
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533739 by Bpt70gt This would be a fun & interesting project but pretty expensive undertaking. Not sure if there are enough TR250 owners out there that would be willing to purchase them in that price point range. Didn't it take Charles (TRF) a long time and big monetary investment to get the "green" hoses made?

It would take someone like me that owns a machine shop and just happens to own (6) TR250's now to make it happen without spending a fortune. I'm always taking on weird / challenging projects, it breaks up the monotony of production work.

I'm not sure if TRF was the force behind getting the green hoses made up. Frankly whoever is making them could make the Yellow Stripe hoses by just adding one additional step. I have a notion they're being made in India, tracking that source down now.

The Green hoses were never offered on the TR250. I think they've just been sort of adopted by the restoration crowd because they were offered on the TR6 later on.

GH

gozto11 Avatar
gozto11 Todd Bermudez
Cincinnati, OH, USA   USA
I'd be in @ 400 providing they were reinforced. The TRF green hoses are not & I won't use them because of it. I'm pretty sure I know some 250 owners that would also be in...question is how many would you need?

T250R Gary Brooks
Roanoke, VA, USA   USA
Count me in. If I'm not mistaken, 1969 TR6s also came with the "bumble bee" striped hoses so you might be able to pick up a few more who are interested.

Would fuel lines be in this mix with this project?

dgetr250 Don Evans
Berea, OH, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Gigi"
With my car being restored soon, and my going back to the old-school stock seats, exhaust manifold and large air filter housing, I guess I'd be up for a $400.00 set of yellow-striped hoses to give the engine bay the illusion of being stock. (NEVER going back to ignition points in the distributor, however)

scottstr350 Avatar
scottstr350 Scott Shepherd
Sumter, SC, USA   USA
Gary, I have three concerns, the one listed above is that they be reinforced, proper texture and the RIGHT color yellow.

It would very special and a wonderful thing for us Triumph owners that struggle to keep the cars original if you could take this on.

Please consider making these up.

Unfortunately we are nearly half way through the 50th anniversary so many of us will not have anything but black or green.

I will go with my own mockups but not a long term solution.
Scott

scottstr250@yahoo

F1000RACER Avatar
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
Those of you following this thread I'm going to be advancing this project to the next phase. I've done all the reverse engineering, had 2 different rubber molding shops look at them and have a good understanding how they were originally made. If you've ever looked at a commercial fire hose same basic process.

Yes they'd be spiral wound with the correct reinforced rubber that had the heavy texture to it. Stripe would be the correct shade of yellow, I have an NOS set as reference.

I'd also do the smaller fuel line hose, project wouldn't be complete without it. Might even do the vacuum hose for the brake booster also, wasn't spiral but at length wise stripe.

I'll keep everyone posted.

GH

68tr michael k
brookline, USA   USA
Todd has a good point, People with TR250's and 69 TR6's would definitely be interested, but if they are not made to a certain "standard" people will dismiss them. That would be a shame given the effort you would have invested in the production of them. Add me to the list of interested people.

Mike

F1000RACER Avatar
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1534737 by 68tr Todd has a good point, People with TR250's and 69 TR6's would definitely be interested, but if they are not made to a certain "standard" people will dismiss them. That would be a shame given the effort you would have invested in the production of them. Add me to the list of interested people.

Mike

I get all that, been there done that.

Most on this forum have no idea who I am. Quick background I worked for 3 different British Car Dealerships in the late 70's and did a short stint at JRT. Was a British car flipper in the late 80's boom. I'm an engineer and own a cnc machine shop in SoCal and part time race car driver.

I've done several very challenging projects for Cox & Buckles, Moss, and TRF. Most challenging was reproducing TR3 and TR4 steering wheels. All 3 sold them for about 5 years until I stopped making them, I still have all the molds.

GH

BraxtonO Avatar
BraxtonO Gold Member Braxton O
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
Gary - I’m in at $400, or whatever it reasonably takes for you to do a good job on these. These are not my favorite look - but I appreciate OE and period correct. I just want to be sure of good driver quality. ( the nice looking green ones available elsewhere are suspect to me in terms of usability, but they’re pretty).

Not working on my 250 yet - several other projects - but I would buy these whenever you’re ready.

Best, Braxton

" You know - I love this thing. She's got a few leaks, but it's only the engine, gearbox, and the diff - so not too bad....."

carpecursusII Drew H
Oklahoma City, OK, USA   USA
Gary, I'd grab two sets. Just to be clear, the vacuum hoses were only yellow in the dealer brochure, they were never yellow in real life. I have multiple sets of original ones.

F1000RACER Avatar
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1535040 by carpecursusII Gary, I'd grab two sets. Just to be clear, the vacuum hoses were only yellow in the dealer brochure, they were never yellow in real life. I have multiple sets of original ones.

Hey Drew
When you say vacuum hoses are you speaking of the brake booster hose? Those originally had a length wise single yellow stripe. I have some originals of those also.

Are you the fellow that was gathering info to author a book about the TR250?

Shoot me an email so we can talk offline.

Gary

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Newmarket, ON, Canada   CAN
Please put me on the interested list Gary.

Cheers
Tush

1959 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1962 TR4
1968 TR250
1973 TR6
1981 TR8
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster