Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Manistee Avatar
Manistee Silver Member Jim Gow
Grayling, Michigan, Newark, Delaware, USA   USA
Two really gorgeous cars. Based on what you see and read what would you consider to be reasonable offers?

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/cto/d/1968-triumph-tr250-and-1976/6541128976.html

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Brian Oklahoma Brian Plotkin
Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Kevin"
The 1976, being a rubber bumper TR6, is not that desirable. You see these all day long on eBay. They ask a lot, but aren't selling. I'd pass on this, or put in a low ball offer.

The TR250 value is highly dependent on originality. You can't determine the value from one photo. It depends on many details.

Haggerty says: $35,000.
#2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."

- If there are no paint flaws (no chips, scratches, orange peel, overspray, etc), the chrome is perfect (no scratches, see yourself finish), and the glass is perfect (no scratches)
- If the top looks brand new (and is correct for a TR250)
- the interior is perfect with TR250 seats
- the dash has original gauges and switches (especially the Clear Hooters switches) and everything works
- It has an original steering wheel in good shape
- the engine compartment looks clean, with the correct carbs, original style wiring, everything operating properly
- the car comes with a proper set of wheels (not the Minilite style wheels that are in the picture, but the Rosstyle wheels or painted wire wheels) with redline tires
- the trunk is proper for a TR250

Only then is this a #2 car. Even then, $35K is too high.

Of extra value:
- Does it have an A-type overdrive? If so, does the VIN include an O stamped at the end - which indicates it is an original overdrive car. If there is an overdrive, and it is working well it would be worth an extra couple thousand.
- Does it have a surrey top? If so, that can add another few thousand.

A #2 car with original overdrive and an original style surrey top would be worth over $30K. Maybe even $33K. If it really is a #2.

Before you make an offer on it, have another TR250 owner (one who knows the cars) look it over.

Michelotti Avatar
Michelotti Brad B
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Wow Brian, that's a solid pricing analysis- well done!!

Jim- Based on what I see & read I'd offer $40k for both & send a truck to pick them up. I don't think you'd get hurt.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Manistee Avatar
Thanks Guys. I really don't have much interest in purchasing both. The seller seems to be a real stickler for selling either as a package or selling the TR6 before the TR250. He says that he's got plenty of interest in the cars so I hope that it works out to his liking.

tirnipgreen Avatar
tirnipgreen Silver Member Ryals Cheek
Ellijay, GA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "YIN"
1965 Triumph TR4 "YANG"
Is the blue on the TR250 the factory blue color...? Looks light to me. Just sayin'...Ryals

Manistee Avatar
Good eye Ryals. Here'e what the seller said to me in an email:

"Originally, the paint was 056 Royal Blue, which was too dark for my liking. The re-paint was done in a color very close to the 1972 Triumph Color 96 Sapphire Blue."

Doc250 Avatar
Doc250 Chris Holliday
Honeoye Falls, NY, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Little Red One"
1975 Triumph TR6 "Lbc II"
If your still interested in the tr250, there is a very knowledgeable tr250 owner just south of Baltimore. I'd guess he already knows the car. Try contacting the Triumph club TRAC (Triumphs around the Chesapeake) and ask them if they will give you Jack's contract info. He has national winning TR 250 and TR3.

If that doesn't work and you still want to look at the tr250 PM me and I'll if I can assist.

Manistee Avatar
Thanks Chris - The owner insists on selling the TR6 first (?) and thought that he had a deal pending. At that point he was going get back to me. I haven't heard from him as yet.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1525782 by Doc250 If your still interested in the tr250, there is a very knowledgeable tr250 owner just south of Baltimore. I'd guess he already knows the car. Try contacting the Triumph club TRAC (Triumphs around the Chesapeake) and ask them if they will give you Jack's contract info. He has national winning TR 250 and TR3 TR2 winking smiley

FTFY LOL!

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links