AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tires
  This topic is about my 1968 Triumph TR250
sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
Almost halfway through a resto on my TR250. Its been in my wife's family since 1968 but been sitting since 1991.

Frame done, Trans rebuilt with correct A type overdrive, and engine is back from machine shop awaiting reassembly.

Santa was good to me this year. Got a new dash and gear shift knob from C&G Woodcraft and a steering wheel from moto lista.

Beginning to look into wheels and tires. Car originally had 60 spoke painted wire rims. unfortunately none of the five are salvageable car was a rolling basket case.

Will the Coker 185 15s fit properly on 15" x 4.5" 60 Spoke rims?

If so are the ones from moss adequate or should I spring for the dayton, and will both work with tubeless tires?

Thank you for all your help.

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-14 10:58 AM by sampattr250.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Great work Sam, when I got my TR about 20 yrs, ago it had the standard painted wire wheels. They were pretty much shot so I purchased Dayton 72 spoke wheels but mine are tube type. I think Dayton now supplies tubeless also. They've been great for 20 years. Some suppliers get their wheels from India but I doubt they are the quality of Daytons. I have had a couple flat tires over the 20 years, the tubes move around a bit and eventually wear a hole. If you can, get the tubeless would be my suggestion. I'd have to go out and check what size my wires are. I am using 185-15's but not Cokers. I had them way back when but I found them to be a hard rubber compound and didn't handle well. They lasted so long I had to replace them because the sidewall's cracked from age.
Looks like your car is Valencia Blue--nice.

TR250Guy Avatar
TR250Guy Tim Moore
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "TRminator"
The Coker tires will work if that's the look you are going for. I went with Dayton Tubeless 15x6 wheels and 205/70R15 tires with redlines from Diamondback tires. I think it fills the wheel wells nicely. The tire is a Michelin Defender with the redlines vulcanized on. The car also has 1" lowered springs.

1968 TR250 "TRminator"
Owned since 1980
Frame off rotisserie restoration completed in 11-2014 by myself and my brother

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-03 03:16 PM by TR250Guy.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20160615_131752.jpg    51.4 KB
20160615_131752.jpg

20160615_132257.jpg    52.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Nice side stripes Tim. Previously I said I have 185-15's. Meant to say 205 70 15's. The Cokers I had were the 185 Redlines and they did look good. This last time I couldn't justify the Coker price.

sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
I concur with the nice side stripes!

Will they fit the 4.5" rims?

Moss has previously recommended a 165 80 15 or a 175 80 15

Only tires I have found are "classic" in the 165s with a review by a MGB driver and the Sprint Classic by Vredestein.

None in 175 80 15

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
To be safe, talk with your tire supplier , they will tell you what size rim their tire will work with.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Sam, here is another thought. Originally some of the TR250's came with Goodyear G800 tires. They had a nice dog bone shaped tread. Universal Tire makes a redline tire that has a similar tread pattern and they have it in sizes that fit our cars. Price is about the same as a redline Coker tire. Just thinking.

sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
Thank you. I'll look into that.

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T

Re: Tires
M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
ON, Canada   CAN
Sam,

Although I like the look of the Coker redlines, they are not very good tires IMO. They are expensive for what they are.

I would look at other options personally.

I have no experience with the Universal Tires but I do like the Vredestein .

Although its expensive, there are companies out there that will vulcanize a redline on just about any tire.

Cheers
Tush

carpecursusII Drew H
Oklahoma City, OK, USA   USA
I am running the Universal's on my 250 in original 185SR15. They are a nice and sticky tire for a stock ride.

sampattr250 Avatar
sampattr250 Sam P
Harwinton, CT, USA   USA
Drew

What size and type of rims are you running?

Sam

1968 TR250
1972 MK IV Spitfire

carpecursusII Drew H
Oklahoma City, OK, USA   USA
Stock 250 4.5x15 steel rims.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links