Painting the chorme on a TR250 and other stupid questions

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

DMShuman David Shuman
Ithaca, NY, USA   USA
I am in the middle of having my TR 250 restored. Would you change the color? How about the chrome between the fenders. Wasn't this chrome originally painted? Would you paint this chrome? I also understand the bottom of the rocker panel was also painted black. This is going to be a frame off restoration. Would you change the color from Royal Blue? Thanks, David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-01 05:49 PM by DMShuman.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jplatel1 jacob P
Albany, NY, USA   USA
should be painted body color. and i actually like that minor difference/designation over the earlier tr4/4a with the unpainted fender beading.

jplatel1 jacob P
Albany, NY, USA   USA
also, if youre doing a stock frame off restoration i would go with whatever color the car left the factory with. and yes the bottoms of the sills/fenders below the trim piece is coated in black chip guard. there are people here who have tried different things and will recommend something

my tr250 is missing the chip guard and i plan to add it back, its just another small thing that sets the car apart from a tr4a, and i think it would be worthwhile.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Royal blue. Fender trim body color. I did not apply the rocker protection.

Attachments:
TR on 8-20-17 2.JPG    37.5 KB
TR on 8-20-17 2.JPG

DMShuman David Shuman
Ithaca, NY, USA   USA
Good to know that the painted trim sets the car off from a TR4.

barringtonpro Avatar
barringtonpro FRANK BORGES
PASCOAG, RI, USA   USA
1954 Jaguar XK120
1969 MG MGB GT "The Hose"
1970 Triumph TR6
1971 Triumph TR6
So, the fender/hood chrome, front and rear deck, is painted the body color, from the factory?
Is this correct?

wow!

mgruber921 Avatar
mgruber921 Marvin Gruber
Florence, AL, USA   USA
Your car, paint it the color you want. Just remember to do correct job changing color, it has to come down all the way. I like the royal blue but valencia is my favorite on the 250.
Marv

DMShuman David Shuman
Ithaca, NY, USA   USA
Yes, I was going to go with Valencia blue. It will be a frame off restoration. The car is apart so the color change will not be detected.

TR250Guy Avatar
TR250Guy Tim Moore
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "TRminator"
I'm of the opinion, its your car do what you like. Not what others think you should do. I personally liked the subtle accent the stainless fender beads add to the car unpainted. I have also made numerous other changes to the car because I liked it. Here's a video I made after completing the frame off restoration that shows the subtle accent that the fender beads add. But to each their own.

1968 TR250 "TRminator"
Owned since 1980
Frame off rotisserie restoration completed in 11-2014 by myself and my brother

DMShuman David Shuman
Ithaca, NY, USA   USA
I do like the wood caps on the door. Where can you find this item? I looked before with out any luck.

TR250Guy Avatar
TR250Guy Tim Moore
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "TRminator"
I got them from CG Woodcraft. Same company that made the dash. They are also on ebay.

1968 TR250 "TRminator"
Owned since 1980
Frame off rotisserie restoration completed in 11-2014 by myself and my brother

palermo russ n
Providence, northeast, USA   USA
Of course, the chrome trim along the rocker panel separating the body color
from the mate black chip guard is Stainless steel - not painted.

M. Pied Lourd Pied Lourd
Newmarket, ON, Canada   CAN
I am restoring a Royal Blue TR250 at the moment. I do not intend to paint the beading. I prefer the stainless look (like I have on my TR3's). To each their own, but yes, if you are doing a concourse restoration, then it needs to be painted.

Good luck with your restoration.

Cheers
Tush

1959 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1962 TR4
1968 TR250
1973 TR6
1981 TR8
1981 Alfa Spider Veloce

BraxtonO Avatar
BraxtonO Gold Member Braxton O
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
Like others, I realize that the stainless fender bead was originally painted on the 250’s. But I prefer the look of the bright work, particularly on a darker color like my TRG 4A. ( and your Royal Blue is a nice looking car Brian). So I’ll prob go naked SS on my 250 when I get to that point.

I usually do my own paintwork - I’m so-so at best but I can satisfy myself - and honestly I’m a little apprehensive about getting the paint to adhere well to the stainless over time. Never done that before, and fear if it chipped or peeled it would look worse than if I had left it alone. Additionally, with the hood stripe, when I start thinking about the sequence of which pieces to paint when - and having it all line up correctly once assembled - well let’s just say that concerns me. That stripe is complicated enough without adding an extra element of difficulty. I’m sure it can be done (and many have) - I’m not sure I could do it well enough to be happy with it.

I think it’s fine either way. What you like is what’s most important.

Best,
Braxton

" You know - I love this thing. She's got a few leaks, but it's only the engine, gearbox, and the diff - so not too bad....."

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Triumph TR3B

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links