twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
Hi all,

I’ve got a wiper motor that doesn’t seem to want to work at all. It’s been taken apart and armature cleaned up brushes roughed up and then put back together. While trying to bench test, Here’s what it’s doing... nothing.

If according to Dan masters Yellow book, if I put 12 volts to the green wire, then the ground through either the red/green or brown green wire it should work on high or low speeds. Mine only works on one speed, but (found this accidentally) by putting power to the brown/green wire and grounding the red/green wire. The green wire is not hooked up at all. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Kyle.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
CCD9C9D0-AC79-4D9E-8519-01872E04F98A.jpeg    58.5 KB
CCD9C9D0-AC79-4D9E-8519-01872E04F98A.jpeg

A38B2DEB-3083-47EB-A0B6-73E353325F1B.jpeg    54.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Brian Oklahoma Brian Plotkin
Edmond, 73012, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Kevin"
I believe you have break in your field windings, or possibly where your green wire is attached to the motor winding.

First off - If your wiper motor is working normally, and you power the brown/green wire and ground the red/green wire (as you did) you're motor should work (at a slow speed).

But - If you have an opening in the green wire, or between where the green wire attaches to the field windings and where the brown/green wire attaches to the field windings, when you power the green wire and ground the red/green wire you will get nothing.

There is a solder joint where the green wire comes inside the motor housing. It is possible (after 50 years) for that solder joint to have gone bad. Get an electrical soldering iron hot and remelt the solder. Let it cool and test the motor again. Apply 12 volts to the green wire and ground the red/green. See if that fixes the problem. Short of that, you probably need a rebuild.

There is a company in New Jersey who does a swap with a rebuilt motor for a significant fee. Seems like it was between $200 and $300. Look on Ebay under Triumph TR250 parts. They periodically put one up for sale there. I bought one. They stand behind their product, know what they are doing, and do a good job. Tell them which color case you have (they come in either nickel or black).

Good luck.

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
Thanks Brian. That is what I suspected as well with the field windings. I swapped the green wire with a different one and it acted exactly the same which puts me back to the field windings. I can’t do any further work as I shipped it off today. It will someday end up back in a car. As for the guy on the east coast, I’ve sold several core wiper motors and even a couple water pumps to him. Kyle.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links