Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Decided to work on another project to make for the TR250 using the 3D printer. The hazard switch for the TR250 has the 4 terminals and is a hard switch to find. Moss has them for crazy money. This may be a simple part to print so I'll start experimenting. I've started with the top cover. Once I've got that printed, I'll work on the base. The one difficult part may be the terminals themselves but I'll cross that bridge after I'm successful with the plastic parts. The switch in my TR250 still works but it's tender. Attached is the CAD drawing of the top cover I'll make first. May be another fun experiment. I've modeled this cover from an old four terminal switch I had but I'm not positive it's the same as the switch that's in my TR250 which I'm sure is the correct one.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
TR250 hazard view-1.jpg    8.4 KB
TR250 hazard view-1.jpg

TR250 hazard view-2.jpg    10.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DavidCole Silver Member David Cole
KY, USA   USA
Oh boy! Another Bpt70gt project to follow. You do pick some good ones. Watching with much anticipation. Good luck.

David

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Hi David, Good to hear from you again. The vacuum valve still working OK? I sent a couple other valves to others for "long term" testing. This switch should be a fun one too. Good application for 3D printing and a little machine work for the "innards". My TR is packed away and waiting for spring--again.

Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DavidCole Silver Member David Cole
KY, USA   USA
Brian,

The valve is working fine. I checked it on one of my last drives. I only got about 4 or 500 miles this summer (I really should get the speedo working again). Post lots of pics on this new project. I'll be following along.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Making some progress on the hazard switch as time permits. I removed the switch from my TR250 so I could take some direct measurements. The switch will be a flat top as it is supposed to be, but oddly enough, the hazard insignia on my switch is a faded red but my research says it should be white. So I'll make my new one white. The insignia will also point up as the manuals show. This may turn out to be a simpler project than I first thought. Certainly easier than the vacuum valve project. My original switch still works but it is fragile now after almost 50 years. The tabs that hold it into the dash are cracked.
I'll have the cover finished on CAD tonight so I can get that part printed. More to come on this project.

Attachments:
TR hazard switch cover 1-18-18.jpg    15.4 KB
TR hazard switch cover 1-18-18.jpg

carpecursusII Drew H
Oklahoma City, OK, USA   USA
Looks very good, I am curious about your comment that the triangle was white originally, I have never seen that and am very interested in your research about it.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Drew, I did a search on this forum archives and some owners have white triangle and some red. I've talked with a couple other owners of TR250's and on this topic they are saying white. Either way is not a problem since I can make the switch either way. I don't have positive proof--yet. In the archives there are clearly pictures of white triangles. We'd probably have to find some one that has owned their TR250 since new. I suspect that the 67-68 TR250's and the 69 TR6 had the four terminal, flat and white triangle. Only suspicion at this point, I'd love to know for sure, maybe Marvin can tune in here, he's had some pretty early TR250's . Marv, any help here?

Aphyle2012 Avatar
Aphyle2012 Silver Member Eric Pyle
Shenandoah Valley, VA, USA   USA
Let me know when you get a model that you are happy with, as I would try, too. Are you printing in PLA or ABS, or something else?

One of the projects that I started was a model of the Clear Hooters housing. It turns out that the two halves are identical, so only one model is needed and can be printed twice. The hard part has been positioning the center of arc for the ends of the housing. Anybody have original blueprints of these little bits?

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
The first prototype switch will be PLA. May end up using PET because it's not so brittle. I haven't tried ABS --yet. Playing with a filament that looks silver but when you touch it, it turns green under your fingers. Let go and it turns back to silver. Heat sensitive. Not sure what I'd want to make with it. Interesting though. Have printed with the wood filament, prints nice. NinjaFlex is a nice flexible rubber material, used that for a diaphragm I'm testing for my GT6 distributor vacuum module.

vancouver, WA, USA   USA
Brian and Eric
The triangle on my early production TR250 warning switch is white. It is the original. I hadn't really noticed it until you guys brought it up. I have a replacement with red but may restore the original using parts off the new unit and retaining the switch cover. I can't wait to bust some chops next time I get together with some of my very anal 250 owning friends. HeeHee!
Mike C

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Thanks Mike, That's very helpful information. I was hoping someone could chime in here that has long term experience. I also heard from Marv and he also from experience, sides to the white triangle. So I'll make mine white.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
OK, so here is my initial attempt at re-producing the TR250 hazard switch. First picture is the new cover on the left as it comes off the printer, then I polish it up and add the white to the triangle sign and then put the switch all together. Second picture is the back side of the completed switch with the 4 spade terminals, then the third picture is a close up of the completed switch. Not too bad but I will make a few corrections with the white triangle. I've printed 3 so far using different approaches on the printer, I have to decide which one prints the best.

Attachments:
TR250 hazard switch-1.JPG    22.2 KB
TR250 hazard switch-1.JPG

TR250 hazard switch-2.JPG    19.8 KB
TR250 hazard switch-3.JPG    15.1 KB
BobTR Robert Suchy
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
My 250, commission number CD7764L, has a red arrow on the hazard switch. I've owned it since 1982. 14 years is quite a long time, but I'm a bit surprised it would have been replaced in that time. Mine became a little intermittent last summer, but I found that switching it off and on many times got it working again. I suspect that is because I rarely use it. Brian, if you decide to build and sell them, I'd like to buy one from you, to ensure I have a good working one. Thanks!
Bob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-29 03:15 PM by BobTR.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Bob, is it the flat switch as I show in my picture above? And does it have the 4 spade terminals at the back? The reason I'm asking is because some have purchased the later TR6 switch that is curved and has 6 terminals but requires enlarging the hole in the dash and changing some wiring. I'm still working on making my switch as close to OEM as possible with the methods I have available. I'm close but not quite there yet. If I can get it good enough, would you want a red triangle or white? I think somewhere during production, Triumph went from a white triangle to red but I may never know at what CD #. Not sure how much of a demand there is for these switches, but I can tell you that I can I can do it for a fraction of the cost that is available from the normal sources we all use. That is IF I can make it the way I want to. Not unusual for them to take a couple cycles for the switch to click over center but being close to 50 years old, I guess we have to give them a break. I don't think Triumph every thought our cars would be on their second life time.

skip250 Skip Gould
FORESTVILLE, NY, USA   USA
I have one of the last 250s - CD8515LO - and my original switch had the white triangle. I'm very interested in your success here! My original went out in a blaze of Lucas glory during the 2012 6-Pack TRials.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster