door glass seals

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GDL412 Garry Loomis
Granville, NY, USA   USA
Is there an easy way to install the weatherstrip seals on the inside and outside on top of doors that seal the windows ? Not much room to install clips with the window in there. Do they have a tool for that? thanks garry

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Yes, there is a special tool that will make it somewhat easier to install the clips. You don't say what car you have but it's the same tool for TR's and Spitfires. Do you have a workshop manual for your car? It shows the tool and in some manuals show dimensions so you can easily make your own tool. That's what a lot of us have done. I don't know where you could buy one. I made mine from an old butter knife, with a little heat you bend the end to the dimensions in the manual. Not a hard project at all.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Garry, I looked to see if there was an illustration in the TR250/6 manual I have and I didn't see the tool but in both my GT6 manuals it shows the tool and it's well dimensioned. The same tool works for the TR250 and 6. I've used mine on several occasions and on both cars. It is simple to make and helps a lot.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR250Guy Avatar
TR250Guy Tim Moore
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "TRminator"
Look at this post on the 6 pack forum. Post 6 shows some pictures of an easily available tool that can be modified.
http://www.6-pack.org/j15/index.php/forum/21-body-trim-a-accessories/258606-Waist-Seal-Clip-Install#427204

1968 TR250 "TRminator"
Owned since 1980
Frame off rotisserie restoration completed in 11-2014 by myself and my brother

GDL412 Garry Loomis
Granville, NY, USA   USA
I do have the tech operational manual for my 1973 tr6 but unfortunately the pages about installing weather strips were missing. You guys give me some great tips on making a tool . Brian , I like the one about bending a butter knife . I'll have to try that. thanks Garry

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Garry, just don't tell the wife you're taking the butter knife. Also, don't grab one of her silver heirloom knives but try to find a non-stainless steel one, that way you can magnetize the tool and that helps hold the clip in place on the tool.

Hankster Avatar
Hankster Hank Stevens
Auburn, CA, USA   USA
Garry: If you check the May 7, 2014 post by Calvin Grannis titled "Installing Waist Seals" you will find an option (response #3) that I used for my TR250 and it worked for me. Probably the hard thing will be to find a PC repair shop that carries the old bay slot covers. The post has a photo of the item you need (I've attached the picture below). Good luck and have fun.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-18 04:05 PM by Hankster.

Attachments:
$T2eC16RHJG!E9nm3qVlCBQNdjB1HRg~~60_35, Waist Seal Tool.jpg    5.9 KB
$T2eC16RHJG!E9nm3qVlCBQNdjB1HRg~~60_35, Waist Seal Tool.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1975 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links