Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jolt56 Jim Holt
Aurora, CO, USA   USA
Hi folks,

My British car passions were well satisfied in the 70's... 4 MGB's, an MGA, Hillman Husky, various Cortinas. I never got closer to a Triumph then my brother-in-law's 71 TR6, though he let me borrow it for the duration of my first leave after Air Force basic training. I still want one and still roll down the window if I see one coming so I can hear that sweet exhaust note.

So I've joined this forum and am posting because as a continuing carhead with presence in the CO/NM/UT/AZ four corners area I ferret out clean unrusted cars that are still scattered in the hills and valleys. Today tripped over these two Heralds. I was there to buy a Dodge Dart after a tip but the Heralds caught my eye. They are from a common story, Dad passed away a few years ago, had a shop, stored projects, parts and leftovers on the ranch. There's nearly 20 acres of automotive debris here. Family cleaning out ...

My British car thing was carried out entirely on Cape Cod, so I am too familiar with the cruelty of the rust belt for those who like all things UK (and anything else) automotive. The magic of the dry southwest is that metal stays clean. Rubber, plastic, cloth and so forth, not so much. I can pull these cars out and put them in the hands of folks who care. Sheet metal, floors, glass... look really good. Soft stuff not so much. They seem very complete.

Anyone interested, and what would you like me to look at and photograph? I have no room or time to take these cars into my own collection, but am willing to feed them into capable hands if someone makes it worth my time.

Thanks! And I am going to hang around the forum with an eye to Triumph 6...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Heralds.JPG    74.3 KB
Heralds.JPG

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Wow, they should be saved.

But I have been here before. Some owners have a funny idea of what rare cars like this are worth.

Any clues what $ they might be expecting?

Jolt56 Jim Holt
Aurora, CO, USA   USA
@Tonyfixit, I'm not sure of anything and haven't determined seller's position but am thinking that if the two cars combined are worth at least $2000 I'd be motivated to make it a project. I invite Herald experts to coach me on what to look for, confirm, photograph etc to determine value. As I noted, my general car knowledge already tells me these cars are extraordinary for lack of corrosion. Beyond that I'm looking to experts for nuances of value...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Darn! If only they were (much, much) closer to Albany NY, I'd have them in the proverbial New York second!

Rust is THE KEY, most especially in the chassis frame itself, specifically the main rails. Beyond that, they're like any other car. Mechanical bits are no big deal. Paint and trim add up quickly. No one is likely to be able to restore either car with an eye towards turning a profit when done; Heralds are starting to do pretty well in value, but not nearly as well as the big TRs or even Spitfires.

$2k for the pair might be high, unless they're unusually solid and straight.

Happy to address more specific questions for anyone!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
As Andrew says, these cars are a labour of love. It would be difficult NOT to end up 'Top Heavy' on these cars.
(Which is the sort of thing that keeps me awake at night!)

Jolt56 Jim Holt
Aurora, CO, USA   USA
Thanks folks, I figured the margins were tight, most don't even know what they are. I hope I was clear that I can't take on any kind of resto project on these myself as I'm tapped out on a shop full of MOPARs right now. I'd be pulling them out the ranch and back to my place, clean them up and turn them over to someone who appreciates them. Like I said I don't know what the family thinks they're worth yet but I'm going to set my max to break even at $1500 for the pair if I can sell them for that. For me it's about time, truck, trailer, not trying to make anything but not going to spend money either. I'm enough of a carhead to simply think they need to be rescued. I'm going to take some more pics focusing on metal condition and post them here while I see what it will take to buy them. I did find out that there may be a title for the convt but the coupe will be on a bill of sale.

Jolt56 Jim Holt
Aurora, CO, USA   USA
For Herald experts, a question occurs to me before I go back to take some pics and learn more about these cars. Is the frame for a convertible the same as the coupe? Should I look for the condition of any particular features? Thanks!

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
By Coupe I assume you mean the red sedan? (There was also a Herald Coupe.) The answer is a qualified yes! There were major strengthening and related changes made to the chassis in June 1962. I can see that the convertible has the later, stronger chassis; quick way to tell is the "bowed out" front crosstube. Another way to tell is the the early front engine mounts sit on the chassis main rails but atop the front suspension turrets on the later cars. I can't tell which the sedan has by the photo, but if the commission number is GA80001 or later, it will have it.

Jolt56 Jim Holt
Aurora, CO, USA   USA
Great info, thks Andrew! Any other features I should pay attention to please let me know, much appreciated. It will likely be another week before I gain access again to the ranch. Folks are very private and running around on big properties is not welcomed. I figure we have one more shot to get a close inspection before needing to close a deal or not. BTW, anyone like early 60s Oldsmobile station wagons? There are more here in one place then could ever be expected. There doesn't seem to be a forum out there of Olds wagon collectors, stuff like that is probably going to the crusher.

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
One thing I'd love to get would be commission numbers (plate on LH side of bulkhead), engine numbers ("under rearmost spark plug) and body numbers (usually painted, embossed plate on RH side of bulkhead) for both cars, for my Database!

Jolt56 Jim Holt
Aurora, CO, USA   USA
You've got it Andrew, I'll see what I can find.

Jolt56 Jim Holt
Aurora, CO, USA   USA
Update: Arrangement has been made to return to the ranch and inspect the two Heralds. I'm bringing jacks, shovels, camera etc and will inspect/document frame, sheetmetal, underhood, commision numbers and so forth. We've also calculated we can offset the remote location and recovery distance using a heavy equipment flatbed trailer so we can get them out of there with one trip. Additional info today claims both cars were stored indoors for 25-30 yrs before being turned out in the last 2-3 yrs. Given the dry desert climate that adds real optimism to expectations of what we'll find on close inspection, but hold that thought till we get a closer look.

Decision point is calculation of interest that would be likely to offset recovery cost. If I end up with these at my place in Bayfield CO (look at a map), is anyone who cares about Heralds willing to pick them up?

I'm not going to pull them out if the likely prospect is to add debris to my own ranch. I'm very determined to not create a junkyard of my own.

I think someone from the Triumph Herald community is needed to preserve these cars, the local Craiglist market is not going to be adequate so get ahold of me if you're interested.

triumph74tr6 Avatar
triumph74tr6 Chad Jester
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
1964 Triumph Sports 6 "Speed 6"
1968 Triumph TR250 "Gene"
1971 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Ken"
1974 MG MGB GT "MiGiBiGiT"    & more
I might be interested in the saloon if it is a GB series car AND extraordinarily rust free.

Chad in Tulsa

Jolt56 Jim Holt
Aurora, CO, USA   USA
@Chad, OK. I'll photo the heck out of it and see what you think. Please tell me what you mean by a GB series car... Like I said I'm a car lover with a fair amount of experience but no Herald expert.

triumph74tr6 Avatar
triumph74tr6 Chad Jester
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
1964 Triumph Sports 6 "Speed 6"
1968 Triumph TR250 "Gene"
1971 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Ken"
1974 MG MGB GT "MiGiBiGiT"    & more
Jim-

By GB car I mean the commission number will start with GB.....means is a 1200 and should have the stronger frame.

I'm interested in the condition of the rear body tub.......fenders ahead of the rear wheels.....rear footwells.

Chad

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster