Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dadsturn Avatar
Dadsturn Platinum Member Ed M
Cicero, NY, USA   USA
Hi. I have a Solex B30 carb that has too much play in the throttle shaft. It hasn't been taken apart to know for sure but I understand that that the boss in the aluminum body wears and is usually the problem. I also understand that the solution is to get bushings installed. It has other issues that I know of as well. One is a stripped top cover screw and the other is a choke that stays about 10-15 degrees closed when "fully open". Who knows what else is going on with it. I can say that last fall when I got it running briefly it ran but with all the usual issues of a car that hasn't run in a long time. I chalked it up to carb that needed cleaning and a simple rebuild. Since that time I know the timing chain was severely worn and has been replaced which would partially explain the rough running. My point is that I believe the carb is good enough to save if I can get by these few flaws.

I have a rebuild kit with the brass throttle shaft. I need to find a shop with the knowledge and equipment that can install the bushings and rebuild it. I could do the rebuild if the shop did not want to. Anyone know of such a place? Preferably in the US but shipping to the UK is not out of the question. Thanks.

1964 Herald 1200 Convertible
1966 Chevy Bel Air
Got it covered. A Land Yacht and a Dingy!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
My first thought is to contact Joe Curto, although he does primarily SU and Stromberg carbs. I don't know if he'll do this kind of work on a Solex, but I suspect he could at least recommend someone?

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Dadsturn Avatar
Dadsturn Platinum Member Ed M
Cicero, NY, USA   USA
Thanks Andy! I'll give him a try.

1964 Herald 1200 Convertible
1966 Chevy Bel Air
Got it covered. A Land Yacht and a Dingy!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jtexcellon John R
Huntertown, IN, USA   USA
I had Joe Curto do the carb bushings on my B30 about a year ago. Worked great. Google Joe Curto to get his info. Luckily, he had a fixture to this carb. John

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links