AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Michelin Redlines
  This topic is about my 1974 Triumph TR6
donrissa Avatar
donrissa Don G
Coventry, RI, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Elsie"
Thinking about mini lites and 205's for my 6. Any idea on the value of a set of like brand new Michelin x red lines on exc steel wheels, caps, and trim rings? Just weighing my options.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
Depends a lot on your definition of "like brand new". Tires get old just sitting on the shelf; if they are more than 10 years past the date they were made, they are just excess waste to be disposed of. Around here anyway, you'll have to pay to get rid of them!

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
Do your Redlines have a date stamp?

The Redlines on my 6 when I bought it were so old they didn't have a date stamp, meaning they were made before 2000.

SR
73 TR6
86 930

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, WI, USA   USA
What Randall said. If they are the original redlines they are dangerous and need to be destroyed.

Tom Smith
1976 TR6
1974 Midget

donrissa Avatar
donrissa Don G
Coventry, RI, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Elsie"
Double post- sorry....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-14 08:04 AM by donrissa.

donrissa Avatar
donrissa Don G
Coventry, RI, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Elsie"
Thanks for the education guys. My codes are (2) 200, (1) 061, (1) 220.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
Some people don't seem happy with the aftermarket trim rings; so if yours are original and in good shape, I think you'll find them in demand.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1540565 by donrissa Thanks for the education guys. My codes are (2) 200, (1) 061, (1) 220.
3 digit codes indicate they were made before 2000 (when the rules were changed). So it appears you have 3 tires made in 1990, and 1 in 1991.
See https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11 for more info.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L Once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

donrissa Avatar
donrissa Don G
Coventry, RI, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Elsie"
Guys thanks you all so much for all the knowledge you share, i'm learning on a daily basis thanks to all of you and this forum. Btw I think my trim rings are repros so I imagine that setup going to live in the shed smiling smiley.

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
Caveat Emptor: I bought a very lightly used 160HP BMW motorcycle from a reputable dealer. I asked them to install new tires before I picked it up. No problem. Arrived, saw stickers on tires, rode home, happy day. A few months later I was checking the air in the front tire and noticed the date stamp: the new tire was 9 years old. Dealer said he got tire from his usual wholesaler and, having not had any problems prior, didn't check the date before mounting.

SR
73 TR6
86 930

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-14 12:19 PM by Uberxy.

Killick Avatar
Killick Mark A
Norwich, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 1540575 by poolboy Some people don't seem happy with the aftermarket trim rings; so if yours are original and in good shape, I think you'll find them in demand.

What are the problems with the rings people have reported?

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Some people prefer the surface finish and the contours of the original aluminum trim rings over the polished stainless steel aftermarket "versions" of the original.
It's hard to find good originals, whereas aftermarket versions are just a click away.

Killick Avatar
Killick Mark A
Norwich, CT, USA   USA
Thanks for the reply Ken. I'm a newbie with the Triumphs so learning as I go. I didn't realize they had a different profile.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
You're welcome and I don't think I would have noticed, Mark, if someone hadn't pointed it out...the polished finish, yes, that stands out; but the contour, no, it didn't jump out as far as I was concerned.

donrissa Avatar
donrissa Don G
Coventry, RI, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Elsie"
So I guess it's new wheels and tires for sure. Can I put 205's on 5.5" wheels or do I need to go with 6". Any suggestions on wheels and tire combo.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster