AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MathieuG Avatar
MathieuG Mathieu G-s
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
1971 Triumph TR6 "TRX"
Hey Guys,

I kinda have an issue with the TR6 i just bought about the numbers.

After looking around, i understood that there were many different numbers on the TR6 (Commission, engine, gearbox, body, etc...), and that the only two that are supposed to match are the commission and the body with just the 'CC' inversed.

Here's the thing : the car has been completely (and well) restored few years ago, there is no more plate on the drivers windshield pillar, and the plate in the engine compartment is completely faded so i don't see anything. My title is saying CC61198L which at least confirms that it is a 71'.

I only have 1 plate on the engine firewall instead of one, even though we can still see rivet from before and the bottom one.
Plus as you'll see, my body number doesn't match the Vin/Com number (61 351). And we barely see the CC, we just guess is has been stamped.

What do you think? Does it hide something or is it just forgotten things after restoration?

Is there an other place i could see the Com Number? Chassis?
Anyway from what i understand there is NO WAY to say (with numbers only) for any TR6 that it is a Matching Number with the engine?

And last thing, i have a plate just above front right wheel as you see on picture 3. There is a number stamped on it, do you have something there too?

Thanks !

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_6078.jpg    42.3 KB
IMG_6078.jpg

55054886881__A0F1D968-76F9-455C-A4C8-61BF8263CEB9.jpg    54.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_6080.jpg    40.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
smaceng Avatar
smaceng Scott Macdonald
Martinez, CA, USA   USA
So, my understanding is that Commission number (most likely the CC61198L) would be found on the faded plate in the engine compartment. The tag on the firewall, the top one, is the Body number. The Body number is normally close in number, but not the same as the Commission number (like yours). Your best bet would be to order a Heritage Certificate and see what it says. One can order a new blank Commission number plate, and once you get the information from the Heritage Cert., you could have it stamped accordingly. I don't see anything unusual here, just a worn out Commission plate.
Scott in CA

MathieuG Avatar
MathieuG Mathieu G-s
1971 Triumph TR6 "TRX"
Tanks Scott for the answer.
I'll just go ahead ans order an Heritage Certificate. How long does it take to have it?

My engine number is very far from com number and body number, can we conclude that it is not matching engine?
Seeing the engine number it seems it could be from 69'.

Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tr6easyrider Avatar
tr6easyrider Joe S
Riverside, CA, USA   USA
Is your title a California title? Your first pic is a body # and it does end in CC which you can't read. The second set of rivets where not used. Your second pic is not a commission plate, it is a Vehicle Emission Control Information plate which you can order from The Roadster Factory along with a new commission plate which attaches to the B pillar inside the drivers door, which would have to de stamped with your titled commission #. The only other place the commission # appears is the tag attached to the drivers windshield pillar. The tag on the passenger inter fender is probably a control #, mine is 60172.
Here's some helpful info
http://trf.zeni.net/TR6greenbook/62.php
http://trf.zeni.net/TR6bluebook/2.php
All this is online at
http://www.the-roadster-factory.com/indexmain.php On-Line Catalogues
The difference between my Body # and CC# is 235.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 04:32 PM by tr6easyrider.

MathieuG Avatar
MathieuG Mathieu G-s
1971 Triumph TR6 "TRX"
Thanks Joe for the answer.

I actually asked the previous owner if he knew where i could find the com number, and told me the plate was put inside the glovebox... So i found it !!
Now the only concern i have is about the engine number. Does that much difference means that the engine isn't the original one? Or does any of you have that kind of difference in numbers?

Previous owner told me he was nearly 100% sure it was original as he bought it to the same family that had it since the beginning.

Thanks for your help !

Sisyphus6 Richard Breece
Timnath, CO, USA   USA
The retired State Trooper in me says, it looks like a stolen cover up with title switch. Missing plates, stamped numbers that can't be read and different rivets being used would have caused me to do some research and possibly an acid bath of the embossing plate to see what is down there that MAY have been removed. With different numbers being present it may need to have an assigned ID number. I hope its just my old cop attitude but your well restored old car COULD be someones stolen restored old car with a title from another car supplied to it.
Good Luck with it and hope you don't get stopped by a crusty old cop that could impound your car till it gets cleared up.

Rich

MathieuG Avatar
MathieuG Mathieu G-s
1971 Triumph TR6 "TRX"
Hey Rich !

Hahahaha i hope it is not this, but i doubt it a lot. As i said before i finally found the commission number plate, it was in the glove box, just not riveted.
On top of that, title was clean and under the name of the seller.

I know you can never know and you don't have to judge a book by its cover, but the seller didn't look like someone trying to sell in a hurry because it is a stolen car. Plus the guy wouldn't put it on CG if he was smart... Anyway i highly doubt of this !!

I thought about it as well winking smiley

Heritage Certificate will say it all !

Sisyphus6 Richard Breece
Timnath, CO, USA   USA
I hope you are right but it is a common technique in the auto theft world to steal a car that fits one you have a clear title to. That is, one that was totaled in a crash or whatever as long as the title is clear, then remove the vin from that salvage titled vehicle, remove the vin from the stolen car and claim it came off during repair switch them out.

It is technically a felony, here in CO anyway, to possess and/or remove as well as sell a vehicle that the vin is not properly attached to it. Simply covering them with paint is illegal, I have ground down many a motorcycle that was "customized" and had the neck vin molded over and all tricked out. The vin plate must be ATTACHED with the correct rivet for that make, style and year vehicle. Here that car would have to be impounded and held until an acid wash of the embossing plate area on ALL the vin locations confirms what it is, then since the vin plate is not attached to the car a state assigned vin would then be issued. This upsets many people because their 40 some year old car becomes new over night, that is it would now be a 2018. I've had Harleys that were made up from 3-4 different stolen motorcycles. Harley if you look at their vin has special stylized die stamps that aren't available in the real world, possession of said die stamps also illegal, then there is the correct combination of numbers and letters to fit make, model and year but thats a different story!!!

However, I have made some people whose cars and motorcycles were stolen, very happy when their vehicle missing for years, in one case a Vet that was stolen 20 years prior had it returned to them.

Good Luck and I DO HOPE this is just an old cop saying hang on to your arse we are in for a rough ride!!!

Rich

MathieuG Avatar
MathieuG Mathieu G-s
1971 Triumph TR6 "TRX"
Again Rich, i get what you are saying. It is good to be preventive but we have to take in consideration that anyway classic cars are easy to recreate, easy to falsified, it is a very good sector for thiefs and scams. We have to admit that it is easy to remove a plate and put a new one. Now that we know that, we can find odd things in any cars as everything can be redone.
This is why there was all these scandals with Cobras copied, E-type copied, etc... and guys in Europe that were just making them and selling them using registries to their advantage to put some existent VINs and a day a barnfind shows that there is already a car with that VIN and that the other one is a copy.

I have experience with classic cars and this is not the first time i see plates like that being removed for body repaint and restoration. Plus usually the seller, the price, the location gives some info and hints about that kind of bad car stories. I have clean title under previous owner's name, i have the commission plate, just not riveted, i have the plate on the firewall, i have an engine number, i won't look for anything else than the numbers then !

Again the Heritage Certificate will give more informations smiling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links