Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1540127 by Tonyfixit I am not sure I would have handed over that sort of money without a contract.

The canceled checks may constitute a contract; get legal advice from a local attorney dealing in overseas affairs.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-12 01:13 PM by Sapphire.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I ment a contract stating expected services, time expectations and terms of payment.

This is not chicken feed!

GAJ Graham J
Carlisle, ON, Canada   CAN
Any chance that Kai is in the back working away with his engines and some a$$ is up front ruining his business? Maybe Kai is actually unaware of the troubles. Maybe someone should have a chat.

I know... Forever an optimist..

Graham

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fogspawn, CA, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Machine"
that is brightest view... hope that is the truth...
from CGPD..I lived that a few years...
w

JCBritfest Johnny Calder
Conway, SC, USA   USA
I don’t know Kai. I have never met him or anyone associated with Wishbone Classics. It sounds like he is truly a master mechanic and true genius with LBC’s. Based on several posts in this thread and in others I have read, despite his abilities, I could not gamble doing business with him, based on the negatives that have been stated in the many posts. I am sure there are many more positives than negatives with his service, but when he has thousands of dollars of customer’s money and isn’t responding, that is terrible, terrible business and it should never happen. His response to the Better Business Bureau regarding one complaint was enough to scare me from utilizing his services. I not wealthy and can’t imagine what you must be going through possibly losing that kind of money. I truly hope you have some kind of resolution. Good luck.

Plumcrazy Avatar
Plumcrazy Craig Bentley
Perkasie, PA, USA   USA
Greetings,
Unfortunately I too am a "victim " of Kai and Wishbone Classics. My story almost verbatim matches yours. The relationship started out with a lot of enthusiasm and ended when Kia finally delivered my transmission after almost two years.
Unreturned phone call, "full" answering machines and no reply emails. That's just how he does business. He absolutely knows he is making folks angry. I confronted him about his utter lack of communication when he delivered my transmission. He turned beet red and had nothing to say.
A lot of people rave about his work but unfortunately that too was not my experience. My overdrive stopped functioning after maybe 1500 miles. I found a stack of washers under the accumulator spring causing the spring to go into coil bind. My operating pressures were in excess of 800 PSI!
The way I see it you have three options.
1.) Wait it out, I've never heard of him not delivering
2.) Take it as loss and never do business with Wishbone again
3.) Get an attorney and sue
I don't have the financial means to pursue a legal solution but maybe you do. Honestly, if it doesn't hurt his wallet I doubt his behavior will change.
The one thing I did have success with was using their Facebook account to message them. Someone named Sarah was (maybe still is) managing the account and only when I messaged her did I get any response.
It was a long and stressful ordeal. I feel your pain.
Best of luck

Craig Bentley
1971 TR 6
CC 65025 L
Damson / Black

smaceng Avatar
smaceng Scott Macdonald
Martinez, CA, USA   USA
Couple of things I noted......It looks like the state of NY controls business permits. As he sells product, he has to report sales to the state. Is he doing that? Does he have a business license? Also, as noted on his website, he does not allow customer pickup. Based on the Zillow picture, it sure looks like his residence. Is he operating a business in a residential area. Some or all of these items could maybe be used to apply pressure on him to complete your project. Just thinking out loud.
A couple of years ago I had a verbal deal with a shop to provide TR parts. The owner did not respond to my phone calls, answering machine was full, and emails went unanswered. So I checked out his business. Turned out he was doing repair work, but did not have a current state permit, as it had expired four years before. I sent him a registered letter outlining my concerns about his lack of state permit. Oh, all of a sudden he had the parts and mailed them to me. Sometimes a little sensitive pressure can bring good results.
Scott in CA

F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
Sadly this is a pattern with Kai and Wishbone Classics and has continued for years. These types of problems with Kai have been chronicled on several British car forums. Robbing Peter to pay Paul no doubt.

I don't care how skilled this cat may be he shows all the signs of a crook. I highly recommend to all stay clear of doing business with Wishbone Classics.

GH

shynsy Avatar
shynsy tim dafforn
Kenilworth UK, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
From experience this is not an uncommon problem with this sort of enthusiastic one man band. Works hard on cherished vehicles and eventually martyrs himself. Initially the fact that he probably does a lot more hours on a project ( because he cares) then he should, giving a fabulous service, gets him a reputation. He takes on more an more work, but doesn't have the accounting and business admin skills to handle it. Eventually stops being able to deliver, emails and phone calls pile up, costs increase, takes deposits to cover cash flow issues, gets frustrated with people trying to hurry him in his work, gets annoyed and starts blaming thee customers for being unreasonable.. Solution if you run the business it to get some help with business admin, solution if you are customer waiting is to hope, take action or visit..

Going back to the original post.. $17000 is a lot for an engine, just had mine completely rebuilt (OK not with a new crank), but no expense spared.. more like $8000 which, I admit, is more then the car cost 6 years ago :-(

Cheers
Tim

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, NJ, USA   USA
Graham, I won't go into my experience with Kai but there are always new customers and the old ones be dammed. Your in another country and you paid up front, call the A.G.

toofast4you Silver Member Mike M
Charleston, SC, USA   USA
The biggest problem I had with Kai was year before last. Around Thanksgiving, I bought a performance cylinder head from him for $1300 which included a $400 core charge to be returned when the core was received by WBC. There was/is a 30 day window to return the core cylinder head. Unfortunately for me, they start the 30days from the purchase date, not from when I receive their cylinder head. I received my cylinder head in January from WBC, 3 days past the 30day limit. I found this all out after I paid for shipping the core cylinder head to them and they refused it. Said it wasn't written on their board to accept my core. Out shipping and a $400 core charge. I have purchased parts from them since this, but this did get me to seek out Good Parts. I used to buy from WBC exclusively but enjoy Good Parts unless I 'have' to go to WBC.

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully it's temporary.

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
All I can say about this post is why would someone from the UK get a motor done from a guy in the states I'm sure there are more than reputable shops in the UK and would cost so much less just seems crazy to me .

Fogspawn, CA, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Machine"
yeah, you'd wonder...why would one in UK or USA need to cross atlantic to get. engine done?
makes me wonder, is all this made up to actually. drum up bizness...we have Trump Meeting
Kim Jung Ul...cant be much strangler, stranger, sorry...

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
First the guy never answers the phone or emails when I did my 5speed conversion I wanted to buy his lightened flywheel he never answered after about 20 phone calls I gave up with him .

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1540359 by wes gray yeah, you'd wonder...why would one in UK or USA need to cross atlantic to get. engine done?
makes me wonder, is all this made up to actually. drum up bizness...we have Trump Meeting
Kim Jung Ul...cant be much strangler, stranger, sorry...

I agree the OP seems a bit odd.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links