13 blade red fan

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TR6BILL Bill K
Franklin, LA, USA   USA
So I scored new (reproduction) 13 blade red fan to replace the 7 blade yellow fan on my son's 75 engine (go figure). The new fan from TRF has no metal sleeves in the four holes. Also bought the appropriate adapter and 8 bolts and flat washers. Then I check out Moss's website and their fan has metal sleeves already in their fan. Hmmmmm. Anyone have experience with TRF's fan? Plastic fan spinning at 3000 RPM for hours seems a little risky without som kind of reenforcement. The old yellow fan has sleeves.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fogspawn, CA, USA   USA
relate concern to trf, or visit the hardware store. you need sleves...
a shirt is naked without them.

Reddragon Avatar
Reddragon Dale M
Chesapeake, VA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Road Runner"
1974 Triumph TR6 "Tweety"
Bill

The TRF list the item you require as part # RFK 180.

http://trf.zeni.net/TR6-TR250GB/132.php#navbar

Red

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR6BILL Bill K
Franklin, LA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533469 by Reddragon Bill

The TRF list the item you require as part # RFK 180.

http://trf.zeni.net/TR6-TR250GB/132.php#navbar

Red

Actually, this is for the yellow fan. This won't fit the red fan. Waiting for TRF to open to see what they say.

TR6BILL Bill K
Franklin, LA, USA   USA
It never ends. TRF called Moss to see if indeed their 13 blade fans had metal bushings. They actually do not. Found that the bushings caused stress fractures in the plastic so they only sell the un-bushed fans, just like TRF. So, I cancelled the Moss order, will keep the TRF fan, and put it on with some Blue Loctite.

It never ends.....

Fogspawn, CA, USA   USA
mmm... why do i recall mine (13 bllade) having stell in the bolt holes,original to car.
another impetus to considering electric.

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Gypsy Rose T..."
ISTR the originals are sleeved. I suspect the Moss ones which cracked(and I remember the thread some time back) had them pressed in after molding, and were not molded in. Pressing them in would have put more stress onto the hardened plastic, whereas molded in would have the plastic adhered, rather than force fit...

Scott

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533447 by TR6BILL So I scored new (reproduction) 13 blade red fan to replace the 7 blade yellow fan on my son's 75 engine (go figure). The new fan from TRF has no metal sleeves in the four holes. Also bought the appropriate adapter and 8 bolts and flat washers. Then I check out Moss's website and their fan has metal sleeves already in their fan. Hmmmmm. Anyone have experience with TRF's fan? Plastic fan spinning at 3000 RPM for hours seems a little risky without som kind of reenforcement. The old yellow fan has sleeves.

My original 13 blade fan had the steel inserts, as did its replacement. Broke one of the blades but never had any stress fractures.

Dick

Attachments:
Fan .jpg    45.5 KB
Fan .jpg

Fogspawn, CA, USA   USA
should we suspect the current polymer composition is different from 40 plus years ago?
my original 13 blade red fan is still in position... no frets.
todays are probably recycled con--ms... brittle..no elasticity left...

Fogspawn, CA, USA   USA
the fan needs the metal inserts, period... they take the torque load ofthe bolts, not the plastic..., well, polymer...

Reddragon Avatar
Reddragon Dale M
Chesapeake, VA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Road Runner"
1974 Triumph TR6 "Tweety"
Bill

Just curious with this question.

Any chance you can show a couple of pics of the TRF 13 blade fan and the adapter like Dicks picture?

I am wondering why TRF has gone to an adapter to mount this,

Red

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster