Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

kayjh Joel K
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   CAN
Hi All,

I'm investigating a sloppy (dangerously so) rear end sway when moving the steering wheel at speed. I've removed both half shafts and noted a fair bit of end play on the right side, so I'll be replacing that hub with a new Moss Motors unit.

I'm wondering if that end play is what is causing the loose rear end when turning the steering wheel or it is more likely the swing arm bushings?

I replaced the bushings 26 years (and 19,000 miles) ago with stock units from TRF. Do you think they should be replaced again? If so, would you switch to the polyurethane type? I don't drive aggressively and I value good handling, but not at the expense of a poor ride and extra noise.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

J

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Joel, I'll be doing the same on my TR250 this spring. I don't have the sway you speak of and my hubs are good. I also changed mine out 20 yrs ago and 30,000 miles ago. I have TRF stock bushings. They have worked fine for me and my type of relaxed driving so that's what I'll be putting back in, should last another 20 yrs and I'll be nearly 90 by then.

l74tr6 mark winterrowd
hebron, IN, USA   USA
Joel, I replaced my disintegrating swing arm bushings last week with new poly bushings.Also replaced the shocks while I was there. I didn't notice any squirrelly action from it beforehand, just sagging and clunking. Afterward, so far, much improved ride and no "extra" noise. Good luck to you.

Mark

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
kayjh Joel K
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   CAN
Thanks Mark,

I'm starting to think that the culprit here is the loose hub on the passenger side. I think I'll replace it first and see how the car handles. If it continues to be loose in the back end I'll look at the bushings. I'd use the poly bushings as long as they don't result in a harsher ride or more road noise.

J

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
If you haven't yet, check on the right front diff mount. They are notorious for cracking, which could cause squirrely action.

It is not easily visible with the diff mounted, but with a strong light, and possibly mirror, you can see up there.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

l74tr6 mark winterrowd
hebron, IN, USA   USA
That as well as a rhythmic squeak under power. I had the opportunity to repair that last year.

Mark

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533609 by l74tr6 That as well as a rhythmic squeak under power.
Mark

Quart & a half hypoid gear oil inside the diff?
Rear brakes adjusted not too tightly?
Axle splines lubed with sufficient axle grease?
Propeller shaft & axle half-shaft u-joints nipples freshly shot with grease?
Lever shocks have oil in them?
Lever shocks bolts tightened down?

New hubs are a good start for safety reasons.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Triumph TR3A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links