Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

NHinNC Avatar
NHinNC Larry C
Greensboro, NC, USA   USA
As posted earlier, I picked up a 76 TR6, sitting for 15 years.
91K miles, engine was "rebuilt" by a previous owner in early 80's, but we all know rebuilt can mean anything from a valve cover gasket to a blueprinting. The EGR and airpump systems were removed, with the tubes and holes in the manifold blocked, so *some* work was done.
Car would not start after draining gas tank, and replacing rubber lines to carbs. I am rebuilding carbs. There is no spark, and I think it may be the coil. Did compression check, and following are dry/wet numbers. All plugs looked blackish, rich looking, but somewhat normal, but #4 was really caked - pic attached.
1 130 140
2 90 133
3 100 120
4 65 70
5 75 80
6 95 130

OK, so obviously, the head is coming off, to be gone over. My question is, what do y'all think about doing anything to the bottom end? #2 &6 seems to have quite a difference dry to wet, so that might indicate rings, but sitting for 15 years might just be a *little * sticky, and might be OK? Obviously the safest thing is to is to rip it all down, but how necessary?

1976 TR6 Mimosa Yellow - not original
Purchased July 2015

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Plug4.jpg    45.7 KB
Plug4.jpg

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
Well it's all about money

HuffDaddy Avatar
HuffDaddy Scott H
Charlotte, NC, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR6 "Huff Daddy"
Plenty of previous topics on awakening a triumph on this forum. Suggest you research and get an accurate current state of the engine before tearing it down. My 2 cents.
Scott

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
To be honest before you go crazy change the oil and plugs start it up and see how it goes your looking at about 750 to redue the head with all new parts and machine work

Blackcreek Jim Cornett
Green Cove Springs, FL, USA   USA
That plug looks like excessive oil burning to me. Stuck rings, worn out bores, or valve guides could be the cause in any combination or alone. If the bores are worn out you need to pull the motor. Valve guides and stuck rings could be fixed without pulling the motor. If you are going to do the work yourself have the head redone and pull the pistons and check the rings for excessive carbon build up and sticking. New rings, new head gasket, and a valve job might get you back on the road if the bores are not shot.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I would say stuck piston rings is a high probability. I would try a piston soak with MMO or some such.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
I couldn't be satisfied without dropping the pan, etc, etc, etc.

TR6BILL Bill K
Franklin, LA, USA   USA
Shipwright's disease

roncohudd Avatar
roncohudd Gold Member Ronald Huddleston
Muenster, TX, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire "Lucy"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Lucifer"
1997 Ford Ranger "Little Red"
2001 Yamaha MC XV1600A "NOT THE HONDA"    & more
Just pull it out and do the whole thing the right way

Longmont, CO, USA   USA
My thoughts? If you've got it down to the head, you might as well go through and put pistons and rings in. It would also give you a chance to service the oil pump at the same time.

gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, WI, USA   USA
I hate to say it, but agree with others. Best to disassemble the whole thing and recommision the whole motor. If you do the head, the bottom end may be suspect. I know it's not cheap, but it also affords a chance at upgrades.

Perry

shynsy Avatar
shynsy tim dafforn
Kenilworth UK, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
Do what I did.. send it away for a rebuild that cost more than the car! (Or maybe not!)

Longmont, CO, USA   USA
Somehow I think that should be avoided.

shynsy Avatar
shynsy tim dafforn
Kenilworth UK, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
Yes, but no stone was left unturned so hoping never to have to do it again in my lifetime..
Also has to take the added stress of the supercharger.
Cheers
Tim

NHinNC Avatar
NHinNC Larry C
Greensboro, NC, USA   USA
Thanks for the replies. I pulled the head (those head studs were a PITA to remove, had to leave one in until I got the head off). 2 springs at the #1 &2 exhaust were gummy. The rocker shaft has some scoring, so engine needs to be pulled. If the rocker shaft is not good, how good can the bearings be?

1976 TR6 Mimosa Yellow - not original
Purchased July 2015

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster