Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
Is there some sort of external control box that connects to the 123 distributor or is it all self contained?

I see several wires exiting the distributor other that tach signal and coil connection what are the others?

Thx
GH

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
toofast4you Silver Member Mike M
Charleston, SC, USA   USA
Self contained. I believe tach would be connected to coil.

In reply to # 1533134 by F1000RACER Is there some sort of external control box that connects to the 123 distributor or is it all self contained?

I see several wires exiting the distributor other that tach signal and coil connection what are the others?

Thx
GH

Attachments:
20180514_215544.jpg    34.2 KB
20180514_215544.jpg

F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
Ok looks pretty straight forward.

Where does the USB plug in for tuning? USB port on the side or ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Gary....I'm hoping my older 123 distributor has the USB connector behind a 1/4" hex plug. Jason might be able to tell you more. He's been running one. I won't have mine running for awhile longer, end of summer.

In reply to # 1533162 by F1000RACER Ok looks pretty straight forward.

Where does the USB plug in for tuning? USB port on the side or ?

jsukey Avatar
jsukey Jason Sukey
Elyria, OH, USA   USA
Yes. The usb connector is behind the hex plug.

Jason

Thought so. Ordered a 15' cable for it when I'm ready to go.

In reply to # 1533200 by jsukey Yes. The usb connector is behind the hex plug.

Jason

Jason....have you tried the Flamethrower coil? I think it is recommended for the Pertronix conversion. It's a 1.6 ohm coil. Just wondering. Thanks!!

In reply to # 1532753 by jsukey I have the 123Tune USB in my GT6, it works awesome!
One thing that helped me once I figured it out: When setting the timing statically (following the instructions to watch the little LED light as you manually rotate the dist), set this for your base timing, NOT Top Dead Center. In my case, 14 deg.

Also, I like the Bosch Red coil better than the Bosch Blue coil - seems to help on a six cylinder spinning higher RPM. Probably doesn't matter if your engine is stock.

Jason

jsukey Avatar
jsukey Jason Sukey
Elyria, OH, USA   USA
I've not tried the Flamethrower, only the Bosch blue and red. The Red is 1.8ohm, I'd guess similar to the 1.6 ohm flamethrower.

http://123ignitionusa.com/bosch-red-coil-1-8-ohm-recommended-for-6-and-8cyl-applications/

Here is what 123ignition.nl says about coils for 6 cyl cars:

For 6 cylinder engines we advise to change your coil to a high performance coil because of the short load time in the higher rpm range. Make sure you use coils with a primary resistance of at least 1.0 Ohm. ( 1,0 Ohm or more ) For standard street engines we advise a "Bosch Blue" or "Beru ZS106" coil. For high rpm engines a "Bosch red (0 221 119 030)" or "Beru ZS109" is much better.

Jason

Thanks Jason. I think I'm going to try it.

In reply to # 1533501 by jsukey I've not tried the Flamethrower, only the Bosch blue and red. The Red is 1.8ohm, I'd guess similar to the 1.6 ohm flamethrower.

http://123ignitionusa.com/bosch-red-coil-1-8-ohm-recommended-for-6-and-8cyl-applications/

Here is what 123ignition.nl says about coils for 6 cyl cars:

For 6 cylinder engines we advise to change your coil to a high performance coil because of the short load time in the higher rpm range. Make sure you use coils with a primary resistance of at least 1.0 Ohm. ( 1,0 Ohm or more ) For standard street engines we advise a "Bosch Blue" or "Beru ZS106" coil. For high rpm engines a "Bosch red (0 221 119 030)" or "Beru ZS109" is much better.

Jason

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
In reply to # 1532753 by jsukey Also, I like the Bosch Red coil better than the Bosch Blue coil - seems to help on a six cylinder spinning higher RPM. Probably doesn't matter if your engine is stock.

Jason

There's a BIG difference between those 2 coils..They are not exactly considered interchangeable, so it's not surprising that you found one worked better in your ignition system than the other.

jsukey Avatar
jsukey Jason Sukey
Elyria, OH, USA   USA
Exactly... that's why I went to the Red.

Jason
In reply to # 1533505 by poolboy
In reply to # 1532753 by jsukey Also, I like the Bosch Red coil better than the Bosch Blue coil - seems to help on a six cylinder spinning higher RPM. Probably doesn't matter if your engine is stock.

Jason

There's a BIG difference between those 2 coils..They are not exactly considered interchangeable, so it's not surprising that you found one worked better in your ignition system than the other.

Appreciate the info and insight. I'd rather hear from a Triumph car owner's experience instead of a sales brochure. Thanks for the reply!

In reply to # 1533508 by jsukey Exactly... that's why I went to the Red.

Jason

Jason

Atl TR6 Avatar
Atl TR6 Bruce W
Braselton, GA, USA   USA
this 4 part video series from Moss will explain why there are 1.5 and 3.0 ohm coils...

Bruce
1974 base TR6 Emerald Green "Emmy"
(with J-O/D added)

Jason....can I connect the distributor to my laptop and upload a basic timing curve without the distributor being installed in the engine. I won't be starting the engine for a month or so. Should I wait until I initially start the engine to upload the timing curve? Thanks!!

In reply to # 1533508 by jsukey Exactly... that's why I went to the Red.

Jason

Jason

jsukey Avatar
jsukey Jason Sukey
Elyria, OH, USA   USA
You might need to connect 12v power to load the map...but not 100% sure.
Jason

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster