123 TUNE programmable 6 cylinder distributor

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

toofast4you Silver Member Mike M
Charleston, SC, USA   USA
It's time to install the distributor. It's a 123 TUNE programmable 6 cylinder distributor from Wishbone Classics. Anyone running one or have experience with them. Any recommendations on initial settings. I have this one and a Pertronix converted stock distributor. Thanks!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jsukey Avatar
jsukey Jason Sukey
Elyria, OH, USA   USA
I have the 123Tune USB in my GT6, it works awesome!
One thing that helped me once I figured it out: When setting the timing statically (following the instructions to watch the little LED light as you manually rotate the dist), set this for your base timing, NOT Top Dead Center. In my case, 14 deg.

Also, I like the Bosch Red coil better than the Bosch Blue coil - seems to help on a six cylinder spinning higher RPM. Probably doesn't matter if your engine is stock.

Jason

Jason...I read that the distributor has to be connected to a computer to download software. Did you get a cord to connect the distributor to a USB port? Thanks!

In reply to # 1532753 by jsukey I have the 123Tune USB in my GT6, it works awesome!
One thing that helped me once I figured it out: When setting the timing statically (following the instructions to watch the little LED light as you manually rotate the dist), set this for your base timing, NOT Top Dead Center. In my case, 14 deg.

Also, I like the Bosch Red coil better than the Bosch Blue coil - seems to help on a six cylinder spinning higher RPM. Probably doesn't matter if your engine is stock.

Jason

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jsukey Avatar
jsukey Jason Sukey
Elyria, OH, USA   USA
I think I had to purchase the USB cable separate. I chose one long enough to reach the passenger seat.

Jason

F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1532894 by jsukey I think I had to purchase the USB cable separate. I chose one long enough to reach the passenger seat.

Jason

Jason
Never seen the 123 programmable distributor in the flesh but I like the idea of how it can be tuned.

Is it possible the guts of the 123 could be installed into the case of a stock Delco 204 distributor? Trying to keep my stock GT6 MK3 looking stock but it would be cool to see if I could pull this off.

Got any thoughts on this?

GH

billspit Bill Kea
Moore, Spartanburg, SC, USA   USA
Have you contacted Wishbone Classics?

jsukey Avatar
jsukey Jason Sukey
Elyria, OH, USA   USA
I seem to remember at one time someone was selling Lucas dizzy's with the 123 internals (ebay maybe? not sure if it was a third party OR 123 themselves). Maybe possible with a Delco also, but I have no experience with this.

Jason

In reply to # 1532924 by F1000RACER
In reply to # 1532894 by jsukey I think I had to purchase the USB cable separate. I chose one long enough to reach the passenger seat.

Jason

Jason
Never seen the 123 programmable distributor in the flesh but I like the idea of how it can be tuned.

Is it possible the guts of the 123 could be installed into the case of a stock Delco 204 distributor? Trying to keep my stock GT6 MK3 looking stock but it would be cool to see if I could pull this off.

GH

I can look later today. I can compare the Lucas internals to the 123 internals.

In reply to # 1532924 by F1000RACER

Jason

Jason

GH

F1000RACER Avatar
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
Thanks Mike that would be awesome. Pretty certain I can pull this off.

GH

I'll post pics

In reply to # 1532984 by F1000RACER Thanks Mike that would be awesome. Pretty certain I can pull this off.

GH

Gary....the 123 distributor is smaller in diameter than the Lucas. Don't think the 123 will do what you're wanting. Mine is a 2014 model.

In reply to # 1532984 by F1000RACER Thanks Mike that would be awesome. Pretty certain I can pull this off.

GH

Attachments:
20180514_171532.jpg    86.4 KB
20180514_171532.jpg

20180514_165402.jpg    37.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180514_171446.jpg    37 KB
F1000RACER Avatar
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533089 by toofast4you Gary....the 123 distributor is smaller in diameter than the Lucas. Don't think the 123 will do what you're wanting. Mine is a 2014 model.

GH

If the 123 is smaller that's good. That means whatever electronics inside it are compact enough they'd fit inside the case of the Lucas or the Delco 204. I don't plan to use anything from the 123 except for the electronics and the contact board. Going to assume it uses a Hall Effect sensor or something similar.

Chance you could snap a few pictures of it with the cap off please look down from above the distributor and maybe hold the 2 side by side?

Thanks a bunch for doing this.

Gary

Will do a little later this afternoon.

In reply to # 1533093 by F1000RACER
In reply to # 1533089 by toofast4you Gary....the 123 distributor is smaller in diameter than the Lucas. Don't think the 123 will do what you're wanting. Mine is a 2014 model.

GH

If the 123 is smaller that's good. That means whatever electronics inside it are compact enough they'd fit inside the case of the Lucas or the Delco 204. I don't plan to use anything from the 123 except for the electronics and the contact board. Going to assume it uses a Hall Effect sensor or something similar.

Chance you could snap a few pictures of it with the cap off please look down from above the distributor and maybe hold the 2 side by side?

Gary

In reply to # 1533093 by F1000RACER

GH

Gary

Attachments:
20180514_183945.jpg    52.2 KB
20180514_183945.jpg

20180514_184026.jpg    50.1 KB
20180514_184116.jpg    38.6 KB
20180514_184158.jpg    40.4 KB
F1000RACER Avatar
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
Thanks a bunch....this is looking very doable.

Going to order one tomorrow will let the forum know what I come up with.

GH

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links