TR6 with Strombergs had to be choked when warm

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Greg B9 Greg Bachman
West Fork, AR, USA   USA
New TR6 owner. After driving car for about 15 miles the car started to sputter and needed to be choked to run. Once I get the hood unlatched (yes the cable picked that time to break), what are carburation issues should I start looking for?

I have been out to the BuckeyeTriumphs site and am creating the insulated little ā€œZā€ rod to go thru the firewall to pop the latch. So once successful I need some carb coaching.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
It's best not to start fiddling with the carbs. What you'd be doing is attempting to compensate for problems that can best be solved with a rebuild.
There are certain components that need periodic replacement.

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
With that description, I would be looking at fuel delivery first. No carb adjustment (or rebuild) will help if the float bowl is running dry.

In my case, it was body shop dirt they had let fall into the open fuel tank. Apparently the bits of paint eventually melted together until the pump couldn't pull enough fuel through. Months after getting it back from the shop, it started starving for fuel on the way home from work. Blowing backwards through the line turned an entire tank of fuel black, but solved the problem.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
And if you have a fuel filter check it or if in doubt replace it...but don't start turning screws on the carbs....and if you don't mind, include the year of your car. There are differences that may be important...not necessarily in this instance but it's always good to know as well as any other modifications such as different carbs or fuel injection, electronic ignition, performance cam, Toyota transmission, Datsun differential or anything that may make it different from a TR6.

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
My first thought would be to inspect the diaphragms. Easy and cheap and they do go bad.

I have one in the box of spares in my my trunk. And a fuel pump. Everything else is electrical.

SR
73 TR6
86 930

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 02:05 PM by Uberxy.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster