Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dodgebrother Avatar
Dodgebrother Rick Cook
Dodge city, OR, USA   USA
I tried a search but couldn't see where anyone had said if they were happy with the fit/finish of the replacement vinyl kit for the dash support.

Also, has anyone removed the vinyl/foam and just powder coated the dash support? I was going to make side covers for the tunnel and I could just extend them up near-flush of the front edge of the support, for a little padding.

Thank you!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Baton Rouge, LA, USA   USA
I think you will find that a good upholsterer can reupholster the dash support with stitching. Mine was about $100 for the dash support and I had him do the dash pads and crash pads as well.
That is less expensive than buying the kit and then having to make it fit properly.

Attachments:
4D0B7BBE-CB26-42DE-B7E0-1478AF3E50E6.jpeg    42.2 KB
4D0B7BBE-CB26-42DE-B7E0-1478AF3E50E6.jpeg

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
First no one by me is doing that for 100 dollars I redid mine and the fit is actually perfect but you have to take off all the rubber and foam and have a flat surface to apply the new cover at the time I think VB was the only source for it I'm pretty sure their all made from the same source .It takes some fiddling with it to get it 100% but passes the test for me good luck

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Coral Mistress"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Drandulet"
1962 Triumph Vitesse "Ohtoseethelightofday"
1968 Triumph TR250    & more
I stripped one to bare metal and painted it in semi-flat black. Very surprised at how good it looks- no one has noticed that it isn't padded.

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Baton Rouge, LA, USA   USA
I should probably clarify my $100 statement, because that was with me furnishing him the material that I got from Mr. Mike when I ordered my Miata seat upholstery. It was the Mercedes Tex vinyl that was an additional $30 per yard plus shipping.
My upholsterer charges $75 per hour and told me it took him a little over an hour to do it.
I would assume most upholsterers would have a good quality black vinyl that matches the original for a lot less than I had to pay for the material I purchased.
I do find myself remembering what I paid for something while ignoring all the ancillary cost like shipping, materials, tax, gas and time to get it done. That way I can feel like my restoration is very affordable. cool smiley

Dodgebrother Avatar
Dodgebrother Rick Cook
It sounds like the replacement vinyl must come with foam backing? That's good to know. When I disassembled & restored my grille I had it powder coated. The owner told me he'd do the same satin finish on the dash support for $30. If I don't like it, at least I'm out very little & it will be nice and smooth to mount the replacement vinyl.

Thank you all for the help!thumbs up smileys with beer

wright p.j. wright
pittsburgh, pa, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "MIASSIS DRAGON"
I stripped off all the vinyl and foam and painted the support with black semi gloss also, so far no one has noticed it and if I ever decided to redo it in the future with final or leather, no problem.

TuRtle5 Avatar
TuRtle5 Kevin Kelly
Absecon, NJ, USA   USA
1949 Triumph 2000 Roadster "Coral Mistress"
1959 Triumph TR3A "Drandulet"
1962 Triumph Vitesse "Ohtoseethelightofday"
1968 Triumph TR250    & more
PJ- I'll try to get a photo- it looks so good that I never even think about it. -Kevin

Dodgebrother Avatar
Dodgebrother Rick Cook
In reply to # 1526686 by TuRtle5 PJ- I'll try to get a photo- it looks so good that I never even think about it. -Kevin

Thank you! the powder coater said he could even do it the color of the car if I wanted to bring some body color in and brighten the interior up a little,

Attachments:
2018040495140123_22.jpg    43.8 KB
2018040495140123_22.jpg

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
Lookin good Rick! I would pass on doing the support in body color though.

Used parts are negotiable; they look better on your car than in my shop.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.
Dodgebrother Avatar
Dodgebrother Rick Cook
Thanks, Chris! Getting there...........

chris Avatar
chris Platinum Member Chris Roop
Pendleton, OR, USA   USA
You like green cars. I'll trade ya when you get yours finished! smiling smiley

Used parts are negotiable; they look better on your car than in my shop.

Member Services:
Used English car parts.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster