Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
On this 1970 I am working on, it has had some serious electrical issues I am working through.

First the wiper switch was seriously burned up (looks like near fire). The washer switch was just broken. The light rheostat was broken and a little burned up.

I purchased aftermarket switches for the wiper and washer switches from British Parts and they both require some work cutting the metal dash to make them fit the dash and are pretty low quality switches.
I was able to use a TR7 rheostat I had for the light switch.

I was putting my dash back together and now the hazard switch has broken.. switch works fine, but the ear pieces that hold it secure in the dash have broken.

In my brief searching, I have only seen yet another after market switch that requires cutting on the metal part of the dash.

Is there a better source for these switches or is British Parts and Victoria all selling the same less than stellar switches?

Anyone have a broken hazard switch that the housing is good?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
I believe it was in the late 1970's that the original factory installed "Clear Hooters" headlight switch was recalled due to what was perceived as dangerous.
The replacement switch, Lucas brand were not quite a perfect fit.
I found it was easy enough to enlarge the hole and really have no complaint about the quality.
I have a different type of wiper switch than your year TR6, but if your original was a "Clear Hooters", I'm not surprised that a Lucas replacement was, like the headlight switch, a little larger.
That's just the way it is, James, unless you can find more Clear Hooters that might still be around and take a chance on another switch fire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-13 06:25 PM by poolboy.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Curious, does your 70 TR6 have the flat rocker and 4 spade terminals at the back? What color is the hazard triangle?

Fairly common for the "ear" to break and the switch wants to pop out of the dash. Happened to mine but I found a solution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-13 07:03 PM by Bpt70gt.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
TR250 HAZARD SW REV8-3.JPG    48.3 KB
TR250 HAZARD SW REV8-3.JPG

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
Mine has 4 spades and wires with the white triangle.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
OK James, same as on a TR250. There are a few options for you to have a new switch. To get some back ground, go over to the TR 250 forum and search down a bit and you'll see the subject of 3D printing the hazard switch. A solution for you is available. The red or white triangle is available.

Brian

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
My car had a Clear Hooters light switch. As it happened I was driving a non lit road at night and the thing just exploded, meaning flew apart!
Every thing went dark and something hit me in the face.

It was only in desperation I remembered the high beam flasher is not powered throught the light switch.

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
So I am assuming Clear Hooters was a manufacturer of some TR switches?

From a google search, the switches appear to be like the ones this car has/had.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
Yes, Clear Hooters supplied rocker type switches to several brands of British cars.
I could be wrong but they might have started as a horn manufacturer.

Attachments:
Clear Hooters .jpg    37.3 KB
Clear Hooters .jpg

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
Very interesting.. I had never heard of the name before, but thought it was a bit odd. grinning smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links