AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Electric Fan Noise
  This topic is about my 1976 Triumph TR6
SGOUD Avatar
SGOUD Serge Goudreau
Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada   CAN
Looking to replace my mechanical fan with an electric fan (Revotec Kit available at Moss etc). I read on other forums that many people find that after market electric fans are very noisy and some find them very anoying. I would like to hear from those who are using an electric fan in their TR6 if they are loud and if the noise is that bad! What is your setup? The kit I'm fooking at is a 14" straight blade Spal fan. Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
The Moss Revotec kit has a Spal fan ? Or am I misinterpreting your post ?
Either way...I have used Procomp fans on the 2 TR6's that I've owned...60,000 miles on one of the cars since I replaced the Spal with a Procomp and all is fine, no complaints...not that the fan has been on very much at all during those miles.

ArtL Avatar
ArtL Art Liefke
Kings Park, NY, USA   USA
I have a 12" Spal straight blade fan on my TR3. Between the exhaust, clattering valves etc. my car is so noisy, that most of the time I don't hear the fan go on, except when idling at a light. Straight blade fans will generally move more air, but they are noisier than curved blade fans. Also, pusher fans are less effective than pullers. I went with a straight blade because the biggest fan I could get on the TR3 radiator was a 12" one and it's rated at 1630 cfm, which is a lot for that size. If your worried about the noise, get a curved blade fan. How much cfm you will need are based on a ton of variables, but somewhere in the 1250-1500 cmf range should be about right if your engine is stock.

Art

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SGOUD Avatar
SGOUD Serge Goudreau
In reply to # 1518414 by poolboy The Moss Revotec kit has a Spal fan ? Or am I misinterpreting your post ?
Either way...I have used Procomp fans on the 2 TR6's that I've owned...60,000 miles on one of the cars since I replaced the Spal with a Procomp and all is fine, no complaints...not that the fan has been on very much at all during those miles.

Ken,
I read somewhere that Revotec was using Spal fans (May be not true, I dont know...)
The kit is pricey but the main advantage for me is the ready made brackets and the low profile of the fan.
I could go for the Procomp PC 2054S Procool SBlade (maybe quieter with curved blades) but does the 14" or 16" fit easily in the space, cant get the dimensions anywhere ?
Any example of good fitting brackets?

Thanks

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Brackets are easy to fabricate...I've seen quite a few examples over on the 6-Pack Forum and I don't think I've seen any two alike.
Here my personal examples:
The first is the 14" that was on my 74 TR6 radiator
The 2nd is the 16" SPAL on a Ron Davis POS radiator for my 73 TR6
And the 3rd and current is a 16" Procomp on a stock TR6 radiator on my 73

Attachments:
Procomp 14'.jpg    13.3 KB
Procomp 14'.jpg

SPAL on Ron Davis.jpg    64.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Procomp 16 001.JPG    71.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TR250Guy Avatar
TR250Guy Tim Moore
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "TRminator"
I installed a pusher on my car since I only needed supplemental cooling when stuck in stop and go traffic or idling for long periods of time, I also wanted to keep the stock look. Heres an article I wrote for my clubs newsletter about the install.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fs0evu4dwak7iit/Electric%20Fan.docx?dl=0

1968 TR250 "TRminator"
Owned since 1980
Frame off rotisserie restoration completed in 11-2014 by myself and my brother

gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, WI, USA   USA
As pointed out above, the engines we have are so noisy otherwise, I doubt you'd hear it except at idle. I don't hear mine and it's wired on all the time.

Perry

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
The OP is about fan noise. The noise I belive come from the speed of the fan and the air it is moving. A larger diameter fan can move more air than a smaller fan for the same blade speed, and cover a wider area of the radiator.

It also seems to me that increasing air speed has deminishing returnes in cooling the radiator.

When the puller fan motor on my radiator gave out (it had a far too small thrust washer, and pretty soon the motor windings were rubbing on the casing) it was replaced with a lower powered motor intended for a heater fan. The resulting cooling ability was insignificant. But the noise level in operation was very much lower.

mart06 Avatar
mart06 Martin E.
Golfe Juan, French Riviera, France   FRA
In reply to # 1518494 by poolboy Brackets are easy to fabricate...I've seen quite a few examples over on the 6-Pack Forum and I don't think I've seen any two alike.
Here my personal examples

Hi Poolboy
can you tell me the reference of your spal you have on your 73 tr6 because there is different 16" (385mm in europe)
the reference in europe is like this VA18-AP51/C 41A
is it the same for you?
Thanks

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Hey Martin.
It's been nearly 10 years since I've seen that Spal fan...It was on the car when I bought it but I soon removed it, sold it and replaced it with that Procomp.,,,Sorry I couldn't help.

mart06 Avatar
mart06 Martin E.
Thanks

SGOUD Avatar
SGOUD Serge Goudreau
In reply to # 1518916 by mart06
In reply to # 1518494 by poolboy Brackets are easy to fabricate...I've seen quite a few examples over on the 6-Pack Forum and I don't think I've seen any two alike.
Here my personal examples

Hi Poolboy
can you tell me the reference of your spal you have on your 73 tr6 because there is different 16" (385mm in europe)
the reference in europe is like this VA18-AP51/C 41A
is it the same for you?
Thanks

Martin,

Le numéro que tu indiques équivaut au numéro suivant et les deux peuvent être utilisés : #30101515
Voici les caractéristiques : Profile moyen, Ventilateur "puller", CFM 1610
Épaisseur 63mm
Largeur 400mm
Hauteur 414 mm
C'est le modèle que je commande dans les prochains jours.

Salutations

mart06 Avatar
mart06 Martin E.
merci Serge thumbs up

Tote Tony M
Kingston, ON, Canada   CAN
Serge,
Many years ago, I replaced the mechanical fan for an electric fan. It uses plastic ties through the rad to secure it (still there), a 180 F thermostatic switch (again through the rad), a relay and my own on/off switch on the dash so I can turn it on when I see slow traffic ahead.

The fan rarely, if ever comes on when in use as the motion of the car keeps air flowing sufficiently to cool the rad. It will come on at a Tim's drive-thru, very slow traffic, or after shutting the engine off if its hot out.

This leads me to believe that a lot of energy is wasted by the mechanical fan always turning. Of course you have to have a rad shroud to benefit from the natural cooling (I installed a Good Parts aluminum rad shroud, works well and looks good).

SGOUD Avatar
SGOUD Serge Goudreau
Thank You All !

You convinced me on an electric fan conversion. I just ordered a Spal 16" puller and a Derale adjustable control.
I also ordered the Fan Eliminator from Rick Patton.
After some unnessary head scratching, I think the installation will be easy!

Thanks everyone

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster