Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oldjohnny Silver Member Johnny H
Macon, GA, USA   USA
Hello All,

What, if anything do you use to keep your TR secure when you are out and about?

Do you use a steering wheel lock, an audible alarm, or something secret that we don’t need to know about?

When I get my car back on the road, I envision using it for errands in town as well as drives in the country and road trips.

So, what are you doing to be sure that your TR stays where you left it?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jordan k Jordan Kurtin
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
Johnny.. I use a hidden switch or two.& battery disconnect switch . And then of coarse most crooks are not old enough to understand the use of a choke. And of coarse living in Canada its not as big a problem with theft.. But the only way to real way to be sure is to always keep driving and drop the passenger off to shop. Jordan

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
Just take the keys with you....lock the boot but don't lock the doors unless you have a hard top.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
titanic Berry P
Albany, OR, USA   USA
A fuel shut off valve acts as a theft deterrent and is handy when working on carbs or fuel pump. Also prevents a leaky fuel pump or carbs from filling the crankcase with gas during storage.
Berry

Secretbuzzard Avatar
Secretbuzzard John Greenwood
Jacksonville, FL, USA   USA
A little sign in the window that says: "Manual Transmission" should deter about 75% and adding a fly-off handbrake will take care of the rest.

tkamd73 Avatar
tkamd73 Silver Member Tim Bradley
Menomonee Falls, WI, USA   USA
The fact that it has a manual transmission is a pretty good deterrent these days. Not many old guys stealing cars, especially old British ones. If the trans doesn't get em, the manual choke surely will. I also have an electrical cut off switch, but only use that when parked in the garage, so it won't burn my house down. Tim

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
As Ken said, take your keys. You coluld also have a shift knob that does not show the pattern.

Sapphire Avatar
Sapphire Walt P
York, PA, USA   USA
Remove the distributor Rotor if you need to leave it for awhile.
Not much you can do if they have a Roll-Back hauler, though.

1972 CC80594U Sapphire Blue

Vila Avatar
Vila Robert Beers
Mechanicsburg, PA, USA   USA
1933 Chevrolet Master "The 33"
1962 Triumph TR4 "The TR4"
1964 Vespa VNB 125 "The Old Vespa"
1984 BMW 633CSi "The 633"    & more
I agree with not locking the doors on a soft top, a quick slice with a knife and they are in.

As I recall the TR6 transmission is the same as a TR4 where you must pull up on the gear shift lever to get the car into reverse. Find an original TR4 round ball gear shift knob that has no pattern marked on the t knob and they will never figure out how to get the car into reverse even if they can drive a manual.

Vila

Visit my personal website at: www.jakegingervila.wixsite.com/bobs-vintage-cars-

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I have an electic fuel pump with a turn off switch. With the pump off the car will start and drive for about 300 yards, then die!

Also more often than not, our dog is in the car.

Attachments:
P1020882.JPG    63.9 KB
P1020882.JPG

TR250Guy Avatar
TR250Guy Tim Moore
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "TRminator"
I installed a car alarm with proximity and knock sensors. I have it set very low to avoid false alarms from people walking by etc. You pretty much have to open the door or reach inside to set it off.

1968 TR250 "TRminator"
Owned since 1980
Frame off rotisserie restoration completed in 11-2014 by myself and my brother

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-06 08:34 PM by TR250Guy.

oldjohnny Silver Member Johnny H
Macon, GA, USA   USA
There are some good ideas here. I'm favoring the hidden ignition cutoff switch and a hidden battery disconnect.

Thanks

BraxtonO Avatar
BraxtonO Gold Member Braxton O
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
Hide a cheap toggle switch wired into the ignition circuit. Not easy to defeat if you don’t know where it is. Remember to take the keys with you ( this is the hardest part for me, because most of the time I’m around the car and leave them in the ignition). Never lock a convertible - learned that years ago with my boys’ Jeeps.

With only a few rare exceptions, these cars aren’t targets for pros and will likely never be. Not Ferraris or Cobras. You’re just trying to stop joyriders. As others have noted - a stick with no shift pattern on the knob, manual choke, etc. will discourage most.

Best,
Braxton

" You know - I love this thing. She's got a few leaks, but it's only the engine, gearbox, and the diff - so not too bad....."

gbtr6 Perry Rondou
Titletown, WI, USA   USA
Plus 1 on the manual trans being a deterrent. My son drives a 67 Mustang coupe, no ignition column lock, and I tell him to take the coil wire with him. My Tr6 doesn't have the interlock anymore, but I live in Green Bay and it's not a target. I just take the keys. If someone really wants it, they'll get it.

Perry

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
If I'm going to be away from my ignition steering locked car for a length of time (as a sporting event or movie theater) I turn the wheels to make flat bedding the car more of a hassle for any would-be thief. But I still get that sinking feeling when returning to the area where I know I parked and can't find it, only later to be seen next to or between two taller, longer vehicles! Right?!

Dick

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph GT6 MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links