Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tie rod
1951-74 Terry Murdoch
Peterborough, ON, Canada   CAN
i am working on the front end of the TR6,rebuilding with Good parts. (between cold snaps in an unheated garage) The tie rod is proving difficult Do i need to remove the tie rod if so how do i separate without damaging
regards
terry

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
If you can feel movement in the outter tie rod ball joint, you will need to replace it.

Have someone rotate the steering wheel back and forth while you watch and feel the joint.

To seperate the joint you should be able to borrow a splitter from Autozone or other FLAPS.

Other ways are with a pickle fork or the Two hammer method (look it up)

1951-74 Terry Murdoch
Peterborough, ON, Canada   CAN
Thanks Tony
I was removing tie rod to get closer to the areas I am planning to work . The fear of damaging the joint I may try to work around it
Thanks for the help
Terry

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jordan k Jordan Kurtin
Toronto, ON, Canada   CAN
Terry. I am half way threw a front end rebuild. I left the ball joint connected to the arm that bolts on the back of the hub, I removed the arm from the back of the hub. make sure you replace any nylock nuts with new grade 8 nylock nuts . Good luck with the front end reno. Jordan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster