AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

AllanJ71MGB Avatar
AllanJ71MGB Allan Johnson
Princeton, NJ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Batmobile"
1971 Triumph TR6
Hi Everyone,

My '71 TR6 came with a set of underdash panels in the trunk..... they were in really rough shape. I used the old cardboard as a template to make a set of new boards from 1/8" hardboard and picked up some vinyl (remarkably close to TR Stag Grain) and cotton batting for padding from Jo-Ann fabrics. So far things are going great.

My original set of boards had no speaker holes (the current speakers are mounted into the exterior foot wells). I'd like to put a nice set of 4" speakers in to my new boards. Can anyone send me the measurements of where their centers are in relation to the console edge and the top edge? I'd like to get the holes cut before I set the vinyl.

Also, does anyone have the length measurement of the aluminum bracket that goes in for the middle mount? I have plenty of aluminum and I am going to bend/fabricate one.

Thanks!

-Allan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ed.h Ed Hollingsworth
Omaha, NE, USA   USA
Allan--

I don't have measurements, but here is a pic. The other side is similar.

Ed

Attachments:
IMG_5112a.JPG    35 KB
IMG_5112a.JPG

AllanJ71MGB Avatar
Princeton, NJ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Batmobile"
1971 Triumph TR6
Thanks Ed. That is really helpful!

Another quick question - The bracket is at a slanted angle, correct? It is not parallel to the board edge? That's how mine were so I re-riveted at the same angle and i am hoping it is correct.

-Allan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ed.h Ed Hollingsworth
Omaha, NE, USA   USA
Yes, the bracket is at an angle. This pic shows the angle better.

Ed

AllanJ71MGB Avatar
Princeton, NJ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Batmobile"
1971 Triumph TR6
Ed,

I can't thank you enough. The picture also gives me direction on how to wrap the circle vinyl back and reminded me that I need to allow room for the wrapped vinyl in the cut circle diameter so that the speaker will fit.

You have been so helpful on my TR6 journey over the last year and I can't say enough how much I appreciate it!

Thanks again,

Allan

gr8britt Avatar
gr8britt Andrew Blood
Grimsby, ON, Canada   CAN
Just completed one of those myself with a 4 1/2" speaker.

Andy

Attachments:
2018-01-14 17.54.41.jpg    38.6 KB
2018-01-14 17.54.41.jpg

AllanJ71MGB Avatar
Princeton, NJ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Batmobile"
1971 Triumph TR6
That looks great Andy! Would you mind sending a picture of the back? What did you use for padding?

gr8britt Avatar
gr8britt Andrew Blood
Grimsby, ON, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1510257 by AllanJ71MGB That looks great Andy! Would you mind sending a picture of the back? What did you use for padding?

Hi Allan, thanks. I chose to use 1/4" plywood for my panel, thought it might be a little stronger. I have attached a photo of the backside, not so pretty but it won't be seen. I tried 2 different foams as seen, the greenier was a denser foam which gave a little more padding (thats what i went with). The white compressed to nothing, both were 1/2".

Hope you checked out what Ed did with his, he does great work, I follow all his projects.

Good luck with yours
Andy

Attachments:
2018-01-29 10.53.14.jpg    35.9 KB
2018-01-29 10.53.14.jpg

2018-01-29 10.55.18.jpg    22.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
AllanJ71MGB Avatar
Princeton, NJ, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Batmobile"
1971 Triumph TR6
Thanks Andy! I made a little progress today. For some reason my whole cutter was not all that accurate. I measured from the center of the bit out and my whole ended up being a bit larger than I wanted. Looks like it will still be in spec for the speakers I bought though.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster