AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
Santa Monica, CA, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "Lil Vroom Vroom"
Hi,

Having a bear of a time getting my H-frame (i think thats what it's called) reinstalled since I installed the carpet. Is there a trick? Do i remove the gear shift lever? Is there a position that it needs to be in? its realllly hard to get the frame under the center knob cluster. What do I do!?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Gypsy Rose T..."
Well, it is usually a bit tough: Remember- It goes UNDER the carpet on the floor, not over it(it is, of course, over the carpet on the trans hump)... You simply have to keep working at it... It has to slightly lift the dash when it goes into place, and that can be part of the problem, depending on how long it has been out.

Scott

dicta dick Taylor
Downey, Callifornia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1509446 by tylerwerrin Hi,

Having a bear of a time getting my H-frame (i think thats what it's called) reinstalled since I installed the carpet. Is there a trick? Do i remove the gear shift lever? Is there a position that it needs to be in? its realllly hard to get the frame under the center knob cluster. What do I do!?

Tyler --- Has this 'dash support' been in place at one time or is it a new one? As Scott wrote, it is a close fit given it's duty to support the dash. Tilting the top of this support towards you gives a better angle to slip it in place.
Carpet or its underpadding too thick? Remove part of the underpadding?

Dick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
It's been out for... 30 years... haha. I guess I have to lift up on the knob cluster (not sure if that's the right name for it... where the heater, choke, etc knobs are.). Do I just physically pull up? use a 2x4 or something to hold it up and slip the H-frame under?

The carpet underpadding is just normal thickness, nothing too fancy, coupled with 1/16" dynamat stick-on stuff to the floor. Perhaps that's what's causing the problem, I'll mess around with it. Does the H-frame mount directly to the floor? or can it go through the padding without causing an interference issue?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-25 03:16 PM by tylerwerrin.

glcaines Avatar
glcaines Silver Member Gary Caines
Hiawassee, GA, USA   USA
Mine is bolted directly to the floor, but not sure that is correct. Mine was mounted that way when I bought it. I've had it out and re-installed. It's tight, but not that hard if mounted directly to the floor.

Current: 1973 TR6 W/Overdrive

Previous:
1963 TR3B W/Overdrive
1962 TR3A
1961 TR3A
1960 TR3A
1960 TR3A

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
I still can't get it in - getting very frustrating, and i banged my head on the metal convertable frame when I was getting out of the car in frustration!

As you can see in the pictures, it just wont budge past that point. There is some carpet from the tunnel carpet which is finding itself under the natural shape of the H-Frame, right where the legs go.

I know the pictures of my H-frame look horrible - I'm gonna cover it in vinyl I think, as the existing plastic/vinyl coating is all cracked, faded and weathered.... but the issue of getting the bugger in under the dashboard remains!

Also, what is the name of the foam piece(s) that line the bottom of the dash? looks like mine is cracked/bulged (or i cracked it) while struggling to install the H-frame.

Attachments:
IMG-0213.JPG    50.5 KB
IMG-0213.JPG

IMG-0214.JPG    75.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG-0215.JPG    35.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
First something is going on with the choke cluster it's cracked and looks like shit I would replace it not an easy job but can be done make sure you have the right frame they are different at the top the earlier ones are different from the later ones in how they attach

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
yeah its definitely on the to do list, along with refinishing the dash and everything else cosmetic - was just hoping to get the center console installed so i could have the car "complete" when i drive it up north...

shynsy Avatar
shynsy tim dafforn
Kenilworth UK, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
OK a trick I used that worked great was to put it in place like you have in your pictures.. place the bolts through the feet and into the captive nuts in the floor (you may need some longer bolts for this than standard..
Then tighten the bolts progressively.. this pulls the frame down on to the tunnel compressing the carpet untilat some point it is below the dash and just pops in..
give it a go, but if it not happening do not over tighten in case you snap the legs of the H-frame..
Cheers
Tim

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
what's the thread? 7/16 fine? like the seat bolts?

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
Their 1/4 x 28

YankeeTR5 Dan M
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Tim hit the nail on the head. Get some longer bolts from the hardware store, tighten them both down, undo one side and replace with original. Its a tight enough fit that the dynamat will cause problems. Its tight just on bare floor. Everyone I've removed is always tough on the way back in. Some not too bad, but its never a five minute job. Its tight, it just is and any addt'l interference just makes it worse. Really a bear after installing new carpets and padding as everything is a bit puffier due to newness. Good luck with project.

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Gypsy Rose T..."
I seem to recall it is direct to the floor, and the carpet trims close around it...

Scott

Genoa Bay Eric Williamson
Genoa Bay, BC, Canada   CAN
Scott,
Floor carpet yes (covering the bolts) but what about the gearbox cover carpet?
Asking as I am about to re-carpet.
Eric.

jefftriumph Avatar
jefftriumph Jeff F
Buffalo, NY, USA   USA
I've been messing with mine for awhile. I thought it went over the carpet also. Thanks all!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links