Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

igdboss Gene Levy
Laguna beach, CA, USA   USA
Pic of broken tappet from BPNW about 6 months ago

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Tappet pic 1.jpg    40.6 KB
Tappet pic 1.jpg

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1507628 by wbclassics
That is NOT the correct Triumph specification... if you had an MG or any domestic engine, you'd be correct.

Leave it to Triumph to not follow the crowd. eye popping smiley

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1507696 by igdboss Pic of broken tappet from BPNW about 6 months ago

Gene:

Any idea what caused the failure? Or is assumed that it was a manufacturing problem?

Interesting that it fractured in the same manner as the one that originated this thread.

BTW, I had my stock TR6 lifters reground when I had my cam reground. No issues in 8,000 miles. You don't save any money over buying new ones, but given the issues with the new lifters mentioned in this thread, having your original lifters reground might be a safer bet.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
igdboss Gene Levy
No idea what caused the failure nor was Leighton of BPNW particularly interested in finding out.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1507696 by igdboss Pic of broken tappet from BPNW about 6 months ago

Which end is which? Are we looing at the top (in two pieces ) or the bottom.

Interesting. I have always been pleased with my dealings with BPNW, in that, I understand that things can go wrong, but they have 'come through' to make good when or if things go wrong.

That said, they state on their site they have never sold a faulty lifter, and (boldly) never will!

I am not building an engine at this time, but considering the damage that a failed lifter can do, I would want to make darnd sure I fit something I can be sure of.

Getting back to the OP. The engine was professionally built. Did the builder supply the parts or did you supply them?

I ask this because I have once in a while built engines for other people. When I do this I make it clear that I ADVISE them what I feel should be done, ADVISE them of a good machine shop and ADVISE them of parts. I take no mark up on any parts or services and will fit what they provide into what they provide.

I take responsibility of the building process and provide lots of pictures of the build (showing lubes etc. that I use)

I say this because IF I had built that engine with parts I had sorced, I would feel (a large amout of the) responsibility.

igdboss Gene Levy
In reply to # 1508103 by Tonyfixit

Which end is which? Are we looing at the top (in two pieces ) or the bottom.

Interesting. I have always been pleased with my dealings with BPNW, in that, I understand that things can go wrong, but they have 'come through' to make good when or if things go wrong.

That said, they state on their site they have never sold a faulty lifter, and (boldly) never will!

I am not building an engine at this time, but considering the damage that a failed lifter can do, I would want to make darnd sure I fit something I can be sure of.

Getting back to the OP. The engine was professionally built. Did the builder supply the parts or did you supply them?

I ask this because I have once in a while built engines for other people. When I do this I make it clear that I ADVISE them what I feel should be done, ADVISE them of a good machine shop and ADVISE them of parts. I take no mark up on any parts or services and will fit what they provide into what they provide.

I take responsibility of the building process and provide lots of pictures of the build (showing lubes etc. that I use)

I say this because IF I had built that engine with parts I had sorced, I would feel (a large amout of the) responsibility.

In my case the bottom broke through.

YTJOHN Avatar
YTJOHN Silver Member John F
Yorktown, NY, USA   USA
Kai,
Reading your message brought back fond memories of my days as an engineering intern at a roller bearing manufacturer. Assigned to the metallurgy lab, one of my jobs was to sample the quality of bearing races after they were "carburized." We used the same procedure you describe: cut a cross-section of the part, wet sand and polish, and then acid-etch to show the hardened layer. It was pretty cool to see the structure of a piece of steel revealed that way - and helped me to better understand a subject I had struggled with in the classroom. One question: do you do 10% testing on other engine parts - or just lifters?
John

Doc250 Avatar
Doc250 Chris Holliday
Honeoye Falls, NY, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Little Red One"
1975 Triumph TR6 "Lbc II"
The rest of the story. I have worked with BPNW and Leighton has been more than fair. We still don't know for sure a cause but he is going to examine the failed lifter and the cam and see what they can determine. In the mean time I've replaced the cam and lifters, checked the head and valves, replaced oil pump and reassembled the engine, Checked timing and it starts right up. Just won't stay running. drinking smiley Some kind of carb problem that will get resolved. They worked when removed 5 weeks ago so something simple. Yes fuel pump pumps, grose jets work so something. If I spray fuel in it starts. Then dies. I'll figure it out.

It's been a trying several weeks but I can't say enough of the cooperation and good faith of Leighton and Curtis at BPNW. They will be my supplier from now on.

So as far as I'm concerned the mystery may live forever but I'm going to Smile and driving on. smileys with beer. (as soon as the snow melts!)

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Thanks for the up-date Chris. Glad to hear BPNW worked with you on this. As I stated earlier, when I had a problem back when Greg was 'the man' at BPNW, they did stay with me until the situation was resolved to my satisfaction.
You can not ask for more than that!

Do you think you may have a manifold leak?

Doc250 Avatar
Doc250 Chris Holliday
Honeoye Falls, NY, USA   USA
1968 Triumph TR250 "Little Red One"
1975 Triumph TR6 "Lbc II"
Epilogue
For those of you following my failure when we last left off I couldn't get the car to run. It would start with sprayed in fuel but wouldn't run. I had my team of experts come over and they tried everything they knew. Nothing. One of them is extremely knowledgeable and runs a British Car salvage operation, British Auto in Macedon a NY . He tore them apart and cleaned them and found the holes in the cold start valves were clogged. Tried to clean them and mounted the carbs on his TR 6 but still no luck. Finally replaced the little buggers with new and vaula, we have a runner. I share this only because it was a real stumpper. They ran when I took them off but some how they caked up while they say for two months. Anyway, this is the end of the story and I'll close this post out.

Stay calm and drive on.

Attachments:
IMG_0047.JPG    16.9 KB
IMG_0047.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links