Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
Thanks Randall, problem Inhave is my shafts have bucket caps not screws that come out to remove shafts and bucket caps are no longer available , checking with Team Triumph by my house to see if they have any of those. Did you have screws or caps?

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
I was able to remove the bucket caps (aka bucket plugs) in good condition, by finding a tap that was just the right size to bite into the walls (sorry, don't recall the size offhand). With the tap in place, I removed the tap handle then dropped a short spacer over the tap (big enough to clear the sides of the bucket), followed by a flat washer and nut. Just tighten the nut to pull the plug out. Remarkably easy!

But then I decided not to reuse them anyway, and fabricated some screw-type plugs. Again I don't recall the size offhand, maybe 3/8" NF ?? Should be obvious, just pick the smallest NF tap that will bite into the sides of the existing hole (I did not use a tap drill). Tap the holes with the shafts out obviously, and clean up the debris.

Find a bolt of the same thread, and cut the end off square (if necessary) with a Dremel moto-tool and abrasive cutoff blade. (Wear eye protection please.) Remove any burr, then cut a slot across the width with the same blade. Depending on how wide your blade is, you may need to make a second pass to get the slot wide enough for a screwdriver. Then slice the plug off the end of the bolt. I was able to get all 3 plugs out of one bolt, but YMMV. Deburr the other end, and it's ready to go.

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
Randall, great tips, thanks, next weekend project.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
New O rings installed in gearbox top cover and spring tensions set. Waiting for bushing for reverse idler gear and then I can re-assemble. Engine going to be pulled next.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

Attachments:
topcoverrebuild2.jpg    55.3 KB
topcoverrebuild2.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster