AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Alloy Oil Pump Torque
  This topic is about my 1969 Triumph TR6
cobrapatrol Avatar
cobrapatrol Gold Member Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CA, USA   USA
Since I had to pull my oil sump I took a look in the oil pump screen to make sure there were no pieces of my broken pushrod in there. My oil pump is the original from 1969 with the small filter screen tucked up in the smallish oil pickup. I did not like the look of that set-up and research turned up the fact that there was a TSB 1-A-5 recommending the removal on the screen entirely. So I decided to "upgrade" to the later style pump with the larger siphon tube and bulb-style screen. I bought a new pump from TRF. Now this pump has an alloy body and somewhat slimmer 10mm hex screws. So my question is, what torque value should I use on the three long bolts to install this pump? The 7-9 ft-lbs spec in the manual seems to apply to an iron body oil pump?

What kind of experiences do folks have with these alloy pumps?

Thanks - Jim

Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-27 07:43 PM by cobrapatrol.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
I think you'll find that torque in the Bentley, Jim, and also in there is a measurement you might want to check for the length of the pick-up tube.

cobrapatrol Avatar
Thanks poolboy

The Bentley says 7-9 ft-lbs with no differentiation between and iron pump and an alloy pump. I think there may be some experience here beyond what's in the manual. When I tried to torque the bolts I found that they began to give way at about 75 in-lbs (6+ ft-lbs).

Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-27 07:47 PM by cobrapatrol.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
The 3 bolts still thread into the same cast iron engine block.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
An interesting read on checking your oil pump.

http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/OilPump.htm

Please check your new pump before you fit it. I have found new pumps that are more out of spec than old pumps. You will need to prime it with STP or Vasoline anyway.

I also fear alloy bodies may expand with heat and increase clearances over the old iron bodies.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
I've had that pump for about 20k miles and although I haven't done an inspection since, it seems to be doing what it's supposed to.
I remember that because of the differences in height, I needed to use the 3 supplied bolts, not the ones for the older style pump.

cobrapatrol Avatar
Yeah, I checked the tolerances before installing. All were on the outside edge of the spec. I don't like the new pump except for the intake spigot. I'd be happier if I just had an OEM late model spigot to put on the original pump. But it still looks to me like the alloy pump/supplied bolts (with 10mm heads no less) won't take the spec torque. So my question is still - should it be torqued to some lower value. I will call TRF tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions - Jim

Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CA

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
First, could you not find, adapt, fabricate a suitable screen for the old pump*

Without seeing the bolts, my gut says 8 ft lbs seems reasonable.

*I admit I have a bit of a grudge against those alloy bodied pumps.
I bet if it were heated to 112f it would be out of spec.
I would use the pump with the tightest tolerances.

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
I guess you have to have something to worry about ?confused smiley

cobrapatrol Avatar
I talked to the folks at TRF and they said that the same tightening torque should be used for their alloy pump. So I pulled on my big boy pants and tried again. I cleaned the block threads with brake cleaner and the made the torque dry at 86 in-lbs. I snuck up on it with progressive tightening at 50-75 in lbs. The dry torque method was recommended to me by the tech dept at Moss some time ago, saying at the time that is what the factory specs are designed around. I'm not sure that's right and it only makes sense at the factory since after initial assembly there's no such thing as a "dry" thread. But in this case it gave me better feedback and snugged right up. So I'm happy and I should have the TR running again this weekend.

Thanks - Jim

Jim Harris
Quartz Hill, CA

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1504805 by poolboy I guess you have to have something to worry about ?confused smiley

It would bother me to buy and fit a new pump that was not as close to optimal tolerance as the old pump, for the sake of just fitting a screen.
Of all things in our engine, the oil pump is the equivalent to our bodies heart. leakage here is oil that goes nowhere. I would want it to be all it can be

That said, I sure the pump fitted will work OK. Who made it?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links