Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Would anyone be interested in a Triumph Performance forum to discuss engine swaps as well as other modifications? The MG Experience has an MG Performance forum and I find it both entertaining and informative...this is in addition to their engine swap forum. Once my shop is complete I’m considering heading down that path with an M3/Getrag swap or something similar.
Thoughts?
Thanks, Rut

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, NJ, USA   USA
Yes, I would love a performance forum for our tr6's. Dan

barry s Avatar
barry s Silver Member Barry Stoll
Alexandria, VA, USA   USA
1972 MG MGB GT
1974 MG MGB
1976 Triumph TR6
1980 MG MGB
No

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Farrell Farrell VanderRee
Comox, BC, Canada   CAN
Yes, I am just starting on a restoration and want to learn about what others are doing to their cars to gain more performance!

maxd Avatar
maxd Bill D
Fort Pierce, FL, USA   USA
Yes I would love it. Everything from suspension upgrades to engine swaps. Also would like to see a custom mod forum, ( I know this might be a touchy subject).
Bill

Darth V8R Avatar
Darth V8R Vance Navarrette
Beaverton, OR, USA   USA
1980 Triumph TR8 "Wedgie"
In reply to # 1504461 by Perdido Would anyone be interested in a Triumph Performance forum to discuss engine swaps as well as other modifications? The MG Experience has an MG Performance forum and I find it both entertaining and informative...this is in addition to their engine swap forum. Once my shop is complete I’m considering heading down that path with an M3/Getrag swap or something similar.
Thoughts?
Thanks, Rut

I don't know why that would be limited to any particular forum. Was this supposed to he for the TR6 forum only? General hot rodding tricks are applicable across a wide spectrum of engines and chassis.

Vance

1980 Platinum Metallic TR8, navy blue interior
Bare metal respray, Crower cam, raised compression
ported heads, modified Zenith carbs, 0.060" overbore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-26 08:47 PM by Darth V8R.

Perdido Avatar
In reply to # 1504514 by Darth V8R
In reply to # 1504461 by Perdido Would anyone be interested in a Triumph Performance forum to discuss engine swaps as well as other modifications? The MG Experience has an MG Performance forum and I find it both entertaining and informative...this is in addition to their engine swap forum. Once my shop is complete I’m considering heading down that path with an M3/Getrag swap or something similar.
Thoughts?
Thanks, Rut

I don't know why that would be limited to any particular forum. Was this supposed to he for the TR6 forum only? General hot rodding tricks are applicable across a wide spectrum of engines and chassis.

Vance

Vance,
I posted this on all of the TriumphExperience forums to gauge the interest of an additional forum list for all Triumph enthusiasts. Until I started reading the MG Experience Performance forum I would have been satisfied with the status quo on that forum, but there was too much good info to pass up. BTW, I posted this on my own just to see what people thought.
Thanks, Rut

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, NJ, USA   USA
Rut, I see Barry gave it the thumbs down and why? Perhaps we need a discussion on the pro's and con's of changing our cars.

Perdido Avatar
In reply to # 1504549 by dsixnero Rut, I see Barry gave it the thumbs down and why? Perhaps we need a discussion on the pro's and con's of changing our cars.

Dan,
I’m guessing like some people he prefers originality and I understand that since 99% of my preference is for originality. That being said I also like performance in terms of better handling, acceleration, braking, ride quality, safety, etc. and it’s fascinating to read about the different modifications people make and want to make. Currently I have a 62 TR4, 4 TR4as, and a TR6...1 is in excellent condition (Desert TR), 2 lost all their body panels and trim in the fire, 1 is in ok shape and a couple are glorified parts cars. 2 of the TR4as are Royal Blue 67s, one will be restored to its original condition and the other will be a TR250 clone or M3 powered car or possibly something else...who knows. I’ve got perfect TR6 and TR4a frames that were media blasted, reinforced, and powder coated, a new John Skinner leather interior, etc. ready for something.
Rut

dsixnero Avatar
dsixnero Dan Colanero
Westville, NJ, USA   USA
Rut, please explain M-3, is that BMW?

Perdido Avatar
In reply to # 1504573 by dsixnero Rut, please explain M-3, is that BMW?

Dan,
BMW made an M3 from 94-2000 that used a NA six cylinder motor with 240-282 hp. The early 2000 motors made 333hp, but they had cylinder issues and weren’t as durable. I don’t know the weight of the engine and transmission, but being aluminum I’m sure it lighter than either the TR6 or TR4a lump and the swap has been done before. The M3 engine has a tilt to it that can be problematic regarding fit, so it’s not a real easy swap, but it’s a straight 6 and I like that aspect of it. Salvage cars are decently priced and I would use the engine, tranny, a/c, seats, etc. along with anything else that would work for this project.
Rut
https://bringatrailer.com/2011/08/21/ultimate-motoring-machine-bmw-powered-1973-triumph-tr6/

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
There's already a significant literature on Triumph tuning, some hard copy, some online.

First Kas Kastner's books, someof which overlap: http://www.kaskastner.com/buybooks.html and his one from the day, the Competition Preparation Manual.

Then Gareth Thomas's book (two editions) see pic, not easy to find these days.

Vizard's books, in particular "Tuning Triumphs over 1300cc", online at http://auskellian.com/paul/links_files/David%20Vizard-Tuning%20Standard%20Triumph.pdf

And of course, the very many posts here, and on other Triumph websites, the TR Register and Sideways Technologies for instance.
John

Attachments:
t_b_tune.jpg    4.6 KB
t_b_tune.jpg

Perdido Avatar
John,
Thanks for the information and I’m vaguely aware of most of that, but my interest is really in discussing TR performance. If you haven’t been on the MG Experience site you might want to check it out to see what I mean.
Thanks, Rut

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
Yes, I'd be interested. While I'm keeping the exterior and interior of my 73 TR6 as original as possible, if my engine ever goes bad, the car is getting a 3.5 liter BMW I6 and a Getrag 5 speed.

SR
73 TR6

tapkaJohnD Avatar
tapkaJohnD John Davies
Lancaster, Lancashire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1504580 by Perdido John,
Thanks for the information and I’m vaguely aware of most of that, but my interest is really in discussing TR performance. If you haven’t been on the MG Experience site you might want to check it out to see what I mean.
Thanks, Rut

If you don't know who Kastner is .... follow the links.
GT is most interested in Jaguars these days, and he's an abrasive character, but his book is exclusively Triumph, and very performance,
Vizard was a multi-marque tuning man, but he wrote the book about b****y "Tuning Triumphs over 1300c" , in other words 2 and 2.5L cars, for goodness sake!

Just been on the MG Experience site, and the threads start with, "Headlight upgrades" and go on to "passenger foot rest" etc.
Lots about tuning, etc, but so are those books. What more do you want?

Joh

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-28 07:30 AM by tapkaJohnD.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster