Need help with exhaust system installation

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Baton Rouge, LA, USA   USA
I am having a difficult time installing my new stainless steel dual muffler system I purchased from Rimmer Brothers.
The oval shaped mufflers are 18” long and the tail pipe is 10.75” long. I am hoping that is fairly close to most of the brands offered and that some of you can advise me on the spacing so I can install these while I have the body off the car.
Rimmer told me that it would be difficult without having the body on, but if I can get a measurement for where the mufflers will hang, it seems much easier to install the system when I can easily reach everything.
Some of the pictures I have seen show the hanger on the mufflers attached to the rear cross tube, but in laying out the complete system, that looks too far forward. If I can identify the length of the muffler that runs behind the cross tube, I can then put all the pipes in position and do the final adjustment through the point where the muffler connects to the long rear pipe section.
Please see my photo below. The measurement I am looking for is the distance from the hanger on the back of the muffler to the rear cross bar and a confirmation that the final tail pipe off the muffler is standard at 10.75”.
Thanks,
Jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpg    42.9 KB
image.jpg

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
Jim,
This is Desert TR with a dual exhaust and it should be similar if not the same to your TR6.
Rut

Attachments:
18FE93A7-5D90-4AAB-8839-71940336CA3D.jpeg    52.1 KB
18FE93A7-5D90-4AAB-8839-71940336CA3D.jpeg

0A3ECD5D-ACA7-4CAF-B920-EFFD33EDEEBF.jpeg    34.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
Jim, the PO of my car bolted a length of angle iron to those slots in the bottom of the frame.
Again, using nuts and bolts, he hung the silencers from holes he drilled in the angle iron after deciding on the spacing that looked best to him. I used the same holes and spacing with these:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-20 08:39 AM by poolboy.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
SS Sports silencer 001.JPG    34.8 KB
SS Sports silencer 001.JPG

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Thanks Rut and Ken. Looking at Rut’s picture, the back of the muffler is hung from the bracket on the cross member. If I do that, then each of the exhaust pipes would need to be cut and basically re-fabricated to fit under the chassis. If the muffler is set back somewhat like the picture I attached, the complete exhaust system seems to fall in place like a perfect fit.
My mufflers are exactly the same as Ken’s, so I am trying to understand exactly where the PO of his car put the angle iron.
Specifically where are those “slots” you referenced.
If the angle iron crosses the frame at the end (about where I show the muffler in my picture) it will all go together looking like it fits.
Ken, you know how old I am and why I want to put as much of this together while it is easy to reach, but if I start cutting things in the wrong place, that will be a nightmare.
I did not mention that I am attaching the exhaust to some pace setter ceramic headers ( a gift from another car) but that should not make a difference, right?
Thanks,
Jim

Perdido Avatar
Jim,
My mufflers are 15.25” long, but yours extend way more than that. Have you thought about installing everything in reverse to see where you need to cut?
Rut

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
You should be able to see the slots in the frame. The one on the left even shows up in your picture.

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Yes, installing from the muffler end was what I was trying to accomplish, but without the tub on the car, it is impossible to know where the tail pipes off the muffler should fall. If I start at the front, it throws all the bends off and it will not fit.
I know I am going to have to cut the exhaust maybe in a couple of places, and I need to allow for some adjustment at each connection.
Take a look at the two new pictures I am attaching and see what I am talking about. If I were to move the muffler forward enough to use the hanger off the cross member, it would be stopped by the rear suspension crossmember, so I know that is not an option.
I think Ken’s angle iron is the solution if I can determine where it needs to attach.

Attachments:
image.jpg    42.7 KB
image.jpg

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Ken, yes I do see slots that are at the ver end of the frame. If these are the ones you reference, then that is exactly where I hoped the muffler should hang to make the rest of the exhaust fit perfectly.
Are these the slots?

Attachments:
image.jpg    35.6 KB
image.jpg

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
This is where the front pipe connects to the header if the muffler is hung about where the original picture shows it. Note that I only have the left side in place, but both sides fit well with the mufflers in that far rear position.

Attachments:
image.jpg    47.8 KB
image.jpg

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
It's the one on the bottom that I'm using:

Attachments:
Silencer Mount 002.JPG    64.1 KB
Silencer Mount 002.JPG

Perdido Avatar
Kens mounting looks correct for where the bend on the tailpipe starts, roughly where the rear valence edge is. My tailpipes have the bend in the pipe itself vs beginning at the rear of the muffler.
Rut

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Perfect! Just where I wanted it to be.
Thanks Ken

poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
You might have use some spacers such as I did and some rubber washers to dampen vibrations, but that' those YMMV things.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links