Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Va, Charlottesville, USA   USA
My TR6 needs new floor carpet, though the rest of the carpet is in pretty good shape. But I can't find anyone who just sells the pieces that run under the seat into the footwell on both sides, so I guess I'm gonna have to buy the whole package.

So, in terms of prices, there is a big difference between the three sources, by a factor of two and three. Is there a big difference in quality among them? Is there a big difference in ease of installation; that is, are any of the Moss or TRF prices molded to fit complex curves?

Mine is not a show car beyond the level of cars and coffee. I'm aware of the disappointment of buying cheap; I'm also aware of the disappointment of paying twice as much for the same quality but with a better brand name.

Thanks!

SR.

SR
73 TR6

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    63.3 KB
image.jpeg

Triumphgt6er Avatar
Triumphgt6er Jim Snell
Cave Creek, AZ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Bubbles"
If you have the old ones under the seat/footwell, you could take them as patterns to a local trim shop and have them make a set? It's just cutting to shape and putting some binder on....might be your cheapest way out if not looking to do a complete carpet set. I purchased my carpet and interior from John Skinner in the UK....even with shipping he was cheaper than TRF/MOSS.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, AL, USA   USA
I also bought my interior and carpet from John Skinner and the quality is very good, pricing is pretty good too. I was in my almost local auto upholstery supply shop and they had several carpet samples including Wilton Wool and it was very reasonable and would be easy to cut and bind if you have your old carpet...I might try this on the next TR.
Rut

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Thanks all. I should have included Skinner in original post as I have a quote from him.

I think I'll take Jims advice and take the two shredded floor carpets to a local car interior guy near me, a fellow with a good reputation. Though the two pieces have holes in them the perimeter binding is intact and should be useable for a pattern.

SR
73 TR6

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Baton Rouge, LA, USA   USA
I just finished and sold my first Tr6 restoration and am about half way through a frame off on my “new” Tr6.
I purchased a replacement set of carpet for the one I finished, but before installing it, I made a template of each piece so that I could choose a better grade of carpet for my current project.
All the pieces were flat and the template is fairly straight forward. Since you have your old carpet, just trace each piece out on heavy brown paper and when you cut your new carpet, note which pieces have binding. Just about any upholstery shop can sew that on your newly selected carpet pieces.
Rut, where is that almost local upholstery shop you mentioned with the Wilton wool? I have only found a couple of sources on,the west coast that carry it and they have limited colors.
Jim

davem Avatar
davem dave m
vancouver island, BC, Canada   CAN
don't forget BRITISH PARTS NW
-they have some good sales and are easy to get ahold of

Perdido Avatar
In reply to # 1503543 by Wire wheel guy I just finished and sold my first Tr6 restoration and am about half way through a frame off on my “new” Tr6.
I purchased a replacement set of carpet for the one I finished, but before installing it, I made a template of each piece so that I could choose a better grade of carpet for my current project.
All the pieces were flat and the template is fairly straight forward. Since you have your old carpet, just trace each piece out on heavy brown paper and when you cut your new carpet, note which pieces have binding. Just about any upholstery shop can sew that on your newly selected carpet pieces.
Rut, where is that almost local upholstery shop you mentioned with the Wilton wool? I have only found a couple of sources on,the west coast that carry it and they have limited colors.
Jim

Jim,
It’s Masco Fabrics in Birmingham. I’m up there every so often and I’ll help anyway I can.
Rut
http://mascofabrics.com/

ng19delta Avatar
ng19delta Scott Roberts
Merchantville, NJ, USA   USA
1974 Triumph TR6 "Gypsy Rose T..."
I got mine through TRF, and found it great!

Scott

Perdido Avatar
Jim,
These folks might be closer.
Rut
http://www.woolleybrothers.com/default.asp

Another one.
http://www.upholsterylimited.com/

Wire wheel guy Jim Smith
Baton Rouge, LA, USA   USA
Thanks Rut. I have actually been to both. Woolley Brothers does not offer it and I actually got some beautiful carpet fro Upholsterylimited for my Austin Healey, but it was not wool. I will check with them after Christmas when I can actually get somewhere without this Holiday traffic. Where do all of these people come from?
Merry Christmas,
Jim

Perdido Avatar
Jim,
Merry Christmas to you and yours! If I can help in any way please let me know.
Rut

Steve Fox,
If you need carpet for just the floors let me know if I can help...matching can be difficult, but most mfgs make pretty much the same grades and the difference won’t be great.
Rut

tylerwerrin Tyler Werrin
Santa Monica, CA, USA   USA
1972 Triumph TR6 "Lil Vroom Vroom"
Just finished installing Carelli - bought the set off ebay for 160 bucks (free shipping & no tax!). Overall, pleased for the price; i would say the backing is a little "cheap", but whatever. The set fits fine, except the piece which goes up against the firewall was a pain to install (you have to melt/cut a hole for the accelerator rod and the accelerator pedal & tach cable). One caveat: the set I received did not include snaps for the floor mats, however this wasn't really an issue for me - the mats are all wedged into their respective places and havent budged.

I did use some sticky-back velcro on the kickpanels (instead of screws) as I liked having the option of "easily" removing them if i needed to get behind them for some reason.

Uberxy Avatar
Uberxy Steve Fox
Thanks Tyler. You can buy those snaps in bulk on eBay cheap.

SR
73 TR6

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links