Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
This 1970 TR6 I have acquired has no keys. I briefly looked at the ignition switch and have a couple of questions.

1. Can a locksmith create keys if you have none to start with.
2. Can you get the tumbler out without keys.
3. The black switch cover - How do you remove it?
4. Do you have to take the dash out to replace the entire switch?

Thanks,

James

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
poolboy Avatar
poolboy Ken D
Sandy Hook, MS, USA   USA
This was from a week ago, but you may find some answers within:
http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,1502320

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
Thanks Ken... some great links in that post .

I am curious though.. can you remove the tumbler without at key? I was thinking of ordering just a new ignition switch and just trade tumblers.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Reddragon Avatar
Reddragon Dale M
Chesapeake, VA, USA   USA
1963 Triumph TR4 "Road Runner"
1974 Triumph TR6 "Tweety"
Alzway

A locksmith should be able to remove the tumbler with a universal key. If you have one in your area that makes house calls, he should be able to do it in an hours time and make you a key..

Red

rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, NY, USA   USA
If you can get someone to do that your lucky it will save you a whole lot of time and frustration replacing the switch is one PITA keep us informed

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
I am waiting on a couple of call backs from locksmiths, but is there an easy way to "hot wire" the car in the interim?

I pulled the plugs and oiled the cylinders and the can now turn the engine over by hand with the plugs out, but I connected a switch directly to the starter and can make it click and occasionally spin, but it won't engage the starter.

j007 Avatar
j007 Joseph M
Madison, OH, USA   USA
Have you checked your battery voltage and make sure its up to par, also tap the solenoid on the starter could be hanging up or solenoid contacts worn, usually its the solenoid and not the starter its self. You can pull out the ignition switch and take it to a lock smith.

Joe
73 Triumph TR6

TR3driver Randall Y
Confusion, Los Angeles, USA   USA
In reply to # 1503880 by allzway I pulled the plugs and oiled the cylinders and the can now turn the engine over by hand with the plugs out, but I connected a switch directly to the starter and can make it click and occasionally spin, but it won't engage the starter.
Just to be certain, you still have the battery connected directly to the big post on the solenoid, and your switch is from the battery to the small side post (where the white/red or white/orange goes) right?

Hook it up, then put a voltmeter between the motor housing, and the solenoid terminal that gets the strap from the motor. If you find close to battery voltage, the starter motor is bad. If not, it's either the solenoid, or the wiring to it (or possibly the battery itself). To check the solenoid, check that both the big input terminal (with the cable from the battery) and the side terminal have close to 12v on them. If so, and no 12v to the motor, the solenoid is toast. Otherwise it's wiring or battery, etc.

As a side note, I have had even nearly-new batteries become intermittent. Checking voltage at the terminals while trying to crank the engine is the proof that the battery is bad; no matter what the tester at the battery store says. (And yes, I have had them try to insist the battery was fine because their tester said so. Totally amazed when it wouldn't start their car either!)

Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473L awaiting engine rebuild
7? Stag awaiting gearbox rebuild

Whitelightning Avatar
Whitelightning Ken Moorhead
Canton, OH, USA   USA
1980 Triumph Spitfire "Whitelightning"
Insert screwdriver in same & turn the key to start.

sixtynine Avatar
sixtynine mitch somethingorother
las vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1504397 by Whitelightning Insert screwdriver in same & turn the key to start.

Never lost the keys to my tr250 yearssss agp but found a screwdriver worked as well as the key.

modelafish Mike Mc
Nampa, ID, USA   USA
A screwdriver has worked in my 69 TR for the last 20 yrs or so. I still have and use the key, but I know it will work if I need to.

allzway Avatar
allzway James P
Paris, TX, USA   USA
The key entry hole was too small to insert a screw driver. Still waiting to hear from a locksmith.

Thanks,

James

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster